Browser

Firefox (Download)
  • Settings
  • tba...
Chrome (Download)
  • Settings
  • tba...

Hosts File (be careful!)

The hosts file is a computer file used by an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. The hosts file is a plain text file, and is conventionally named hosts. [...] (wiki)

Other Programs / Tools

Sandboxie (Download)
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer. [...] (How It Works)

Tor Browser (Download)
The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world. [...] (Instructions)
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
guest3456

Re: How to surf more securely

09 Nov 2015, 11:19

might want to add the OpeNic, Google, and OpenDNS DNS servers

https://www.opennicproject.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/?hl=en

there are pros and cons vs using your isp dns, but its definitely something to consider

Neuromancer

09 Nov 2015, 11:41

i want to suggest the Ghostery addon
kon

09 Nov 2015, 11:58

I like NoScript
I have it set to "Temporarily allow top-level sites by default"
It largely makes addblock unnecessary because it uses a white-list that lets you decide which domains are allowed to run scripts. You build the white-list as you browse by simply deciding which scripts are allowed to run by giving them temporary or permanent permissions.
gregster

09 Nov 2015, 21:00

In my experience, a combination of NoScript and adblock works best to make surfing more smoothly. I used NoScript for years; it is very useful, but adding adblock on top was really another dimension. Still, it might be possible to reach my goal by using just one these tools (but that would require deeper digging in the options, I guess). Some of the other things mentioned I tried, too, over the years. They can really help to ensure better privacy and security, I guess.
joedf

09 Nov 2015, 22:26

uBlock
+1 ghostery
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
kon

09 Nov 2015, 22:39

DuckDuckGo Search engine (browser add-in available)
reddit.com/privacy
MasterFocus

09 Nov 2015, 22:56

General:
  • SelfDestructing Cookies and HTTPS Everywhere are great
  • Make sure you use the HTML version of the DuckDuckGo search
  • Do NOT use Ghostery (check the subreddit mentioned above by kon and/or simply Google about it)
  • There is no need for other adblockers (such as Adblock Plus and Disconnect) if you're already using uBlock / uBlock Origin
  • uMatrix should also be mentioned, although it's probably best for advanced users (for Chrome, not sure if there's a Firefox version)
  • The hosts file is a good suggestion, and you can even improve the "zero" version by using simply 0 instead of 0.0.0.0
Other suggested stuff for Chrome:
  • KISS Privacy
Other suggested stuff for FireFox:
  • NoScript is great (just to be safe, there's also a very simple addon which let's you enable/disable Javascript with one click, but I don't recall its name)
  • Request Policy Continued or Policeman
  • Random Agent Spoofer
  • Header Tool (had a bug where you needed to disable and then re-enable it whenever opening FireFox - I'm not sure if it's been fixed so I keep doing it)
  • There are many people out there sharing useful "user.js" preferences focused on privacy, but I don't think there's a "definitive guide" (I encourage you all to search more about these settings)
Antonio França - git.io | github.com | ahk4.net | sites.google.com
Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.
Need help? Please post on the forum before sending me a PM.
Neuromancer

09 Nov 2015, 23:13

MasterFocus wrote:
  • Do NOT use Ghostery (check the subreddit mentioned above by kon and/or simply Google about it)
went and read reddit about Ghostery, didn't knew it had changed hands, but seems everything is still ok since the option to send data etc is unchecked by default
MasterFocus

09 Nov 2015, 23:22

Neuromancer wrote:
MasterFocus wrote:
went and read reddit about Ghostery, didn't knew it had changed hands, but seems everything is still ok since the option to send data etc is unchecked by default
You can always choose how much "paranoid" you want to be about your security and privacy. It's a spectrum, not a binary choice.

Like many folks out there, I'd rather not trust Ghostery considering the company which owns it now.
Still, here I am using Windows and Chrome... As I said, it's all about choices. hehe :mrgreen:
Antonio França - git.io | github.com | ahk4.net | sites.google.com
Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.
Need help? Please post on the forum before sending me a PM.
tidbit

10 Nov 2015, 14:08

rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
joedf

10 Nov 2015, 14:28

@tidbit hahaha awesome! :D
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jNizM

11 Nov 2015, 10:39

Soon...
RogerK

03 Dec 2015, 06:27

Why not simple use a VPN or Tor browser? I thought it was the simplest way???
vasili111

26 Jan 2016, 03:07

I think there is no need for Adblock Plus and Disconnect if you have uBlock Origin. Many lists that is supported by Adblock Plus can be turned on in uBlock Origin . Also there is Disconnect list in uBlock Origin.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

26 Jan 2016, 09:42

Also... What is the difference between uBlock and uBlock Origin?
vasili111

26 Jan 2016, 11:25

joedf wrote:Also... What is the difference between uBlock and uBlock Origin?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ublock/comment ... ck_origin/
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issue ... t-96618444
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.

Plz clean the language identifier from the AMO URLs

28 Feb 2016, 11:47

...can I ask that you plz remove the language identifier ("de/") from all the AMO (addons.mozilla.org) links? Right now it forces everyone to see AMO in German (except any untranslated parts).

The problem is that when you go to AMO (like direct to the home page or something), it detects your language & redirects to a language-specific URL, then when you copy/paste that URL to share with people, everyone is forced to see the site in your language. This problem is clearly caused by AMO's "language identifier in the URL" thing they do, the only solution right now is to manually "clean" any URLs you share from AMO (or file a bug & hope they care & fix it).

For example, instead of...
...remove the language identifier from the URL & make it link to...
...you can even remove the "firefox/" from the URL too...
...& AMO will redirect to the correct location, in the correct language!

The final 1 is the cleanest-looking URL & also gets to the correct place.
jNizM

29 Feb 2016, 02:08

Sure... Done.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”