Don't use Dropbox for AHK compiled scripts

Talk about anything
DataLife

Don't use Dropbox for AHK compiled scripts

23 Jan 2014, 16:55

Don't use dropbox to store any AutoHotkey compiled scripts. Dropbox will detect virus's and ban your public links. Then they will take 2 days to respond to each email you send them.

I have been trying to get my public links unbanned for 17 days.

They don't understand what I mean when I tell them "I deleted all files from my dropbox account except 4 text files".

They want me to prove a file I deleted from my Dropbox account over a week ago does not contain a virus using VirusTotal.

Dropbox did not email me and tell me they detected a virus and banned my links. They just banned them and let me figure it out on my own.

They also banned my public links because they say my links exceeded 20gb a day. I was using Dropbox to share my SavePictureAs public links. There is no way my 1.7mb file was being downloaded over 10,000 times a day.

I now am using Cubby, Copy.com and SourceForge without any problems.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
timeFlies

Re: Don't use Dropbox for AHK compiled scripts

25 Jan 2014, 15:13

I think this could possibly happen to any of the major cloud storage services. Do you ever read the licence agreement before clicking "I agree"? I usually skim them, and you'd be surprised at the stuff they put in there. For instance, for Microsoft services (which includes SkyDrive--I just installed Windows Live 2012 on my PC), they basically say that they have the right to remove any "content" if they believe it is harmful, violates any local laws, or otherwise without informing you (the user) beforehand, that they have the right to permanently and without notice delete your account and all content and that is your responsibility to routine backups, and all other sorts of nonsense that a lot of people would never agree to if some sales representative told them in person.

Personally, I use SkyDrive, Dropbox, and Box, though I use Box most. Box is mostly business-oriented (and has larger data limits), so seems more secure.
jballi

25 Jan 2014, 17:23

Good info. I will try to remember not to load executables (of any type) to the public area. I wish we had our own cloud so that we wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff...
timeFlies

25 Jan 2014, 18:42

Would zipping an executable prevent this?
DataLife

25 Jan 2014, 23:22

chaz wrote:Would zipping an executable prevent this?
I think it would. I took a compiled script that showed 7 malwares on VirusTotal.com. I zipped it up and ran the scan again and it came up clean.

Dropbox support told me SavePictureAs.exe would have to come up clean on VirusTotal.com before they would unban my links. The problem is they want the same SavePictureAs.exe with the same SHA256 value. I deleted that file from my computer and permanently deleted it from Dropbox. Even though I permanently deleted it from my Dropbox account via the webpage by right clicking and choosing "Permanently Delete" VirusTotal still shows malware using the original public url on a file that should not exist.

My latest version of SavePictureAs came up clean on VirusTotal for about a week. Then VirusTotal began using the Rising antivirus software and it detects malware.

I submitted a false positive report with Rising several days ago and the status still shows "Being analyzed" for several days. If they don't fixed their false positive then I may never be able to prove SavePictureAs.exe does not contain a virus.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
fischgeek

30 Jan 2014, 14:34

I primarily use Dropbox... for everything. I have compiled scripts in both my private directories and my public directories and have never had an issue with what you're talking about. I share out of both types of directories as well. This is most unfortunate; I will have to keep a close eye on my public links. :)
Aprengo

01 Feb 2014, 19:19

A friend always send me the files in a zip file.
Even by mail.
tsfmahk

10 Aug 2014, 23:19

This is an old thread but I tried copy.com and it has an interesting feature.... it treats links to a folder as a folder.

If you have sync a folder that has a link to c:\windows then it will sync the windows folder.

Complains about this have been going on since last year, there's still no option or fix for it.
fischgeek

12 Aug 2014, 07:55

@tsfmahk

That was actually a feature they prided themselves on. I opened up a ticket with them a while back asking if they could make a feature similar to what Mesh had back in the day where you could sync any number of folders form any location. They said, no, but if you created a shortcut from an outside folder it would sync those files. It was comparable, but not the best solution.

What I found to pretty much be the best alternative to doing that is BitTorrent Sync. Trust me when I say, this is not BitTorrent's torrent software, it's actually a syncing software and it works damn good. I suggest at least visiting the site and watching the video on the home page.
fischgeek

13 Aug 2014, 07:45

Cool! I think I saw you mention this before in another post, but I didn't have a chance to look into it. Do you trust those three hosting services you have on your GH page?
joedf

13 Aug 2014, 15:42

Personally I trust 3owl.com the most out of the three. But the one i trust the most is 2FreeHosting, but they only give you 20GB.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

13 Aug 2014, 16:02

3Owl closed my site due to inactivity, without warning. Too lazy to set it up again.
some people I shared my site with, said that their A.V. or Browser said the site was unsafe and wouldn't let them through. Did some googling and it seems 3Owl (and related hosts) is known to host some bad stuff and gets flagged fairly often. Especially in businesses.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
joedf

13 Aug 2014, 16:08

Really.... I never got any problem... :P
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Avi

22 Aug 2014, 09:02

They also banned my public links because they say my links exceeded 20gb a day. I was using Dropbox to share my SavePictureAs public links. There is no way my 1.7mb file was being downloaded over 10,000 times a day.
That happened with me too. I was downloading a 410 mb file from my Dropbox and they gave me the 20gb warning 3 times. :lol:
Writes at Dev Letters

Clipjump Clipboard Manager : More Scripts (updated 2019)

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”