Dropbox screws us again

Talk about anything
jballi

Dropbox screws us again

17 Dec 2016, 00:27

Received this message from Dropbox today...

--------------------

Your Public folder will soon become a private folder

We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team

--------------------

Most of the projects that I publish on this forum are loaded to a public folder on Dropbox. Certainly not a huge number of links but still quite a few. I don't mind them converting my public folder to a private folder but why do they insist on deactivating all of the links?! And what about the links in topics that can no longer be modified? Suffice it to say, I'm not very happy with Dropbox right now.

Them be my thoughts.
TLM

Re: Dropbox screws us again

17 Dec 2016, 05:00

What ever happened to seamless migration ughhh #facedesk
Masonjar13

22 Dec 2016, 17:38

I use pCloud, along with tiny.cc, making it very easy to update links if needed. pCloud has been very reliable for me thus far, and their UI's are much better than DropBox, in my opinion.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
Menixator

22 Dec 2016, 19:02

I don't know when it happened but dropbox eventually got phased out for me. I'm a loyal google drive user now.
jballi

Re: Dropbox Screws Us Again

21 Mar 2017, 13:19

Well, it's happened. The public folder on DropBox is no more. If you were using the DropBox public folder (like I was for AutoHotkey), all of the links to files in the public folder are no good. New links for those files must be generated and re-published. If the links were to files that were published in posts that can no longer be edited, you're screwed and anyone who wanted to click/download those files is screwed.

One thing that I missed when it was first announced is that embedded images are a feature of the public folder. Since the public folder is no longer supported, embedded images are no longer supported. Links to image files are now just plain links that must be clicked on and when clicked, will download the file to the local computer. I'm currently experimenting using imgur as my image host. So far, imgur is very reliable and efficient but I don't like losing the ability to store the image files in a multilevel folder structure.

Them be my thoughts.
BoBo

19 Nov 2021, 17:38

Masonjar13 wrote:
22 Dec 2016, 17:38
I use pCloud, along with tiny.cc, making it very easy to update links if needed. pCloud has been very reliable for me thus far, and their UI's are much better than DropBox, in my opinion.
Hi, just out of curiosity, are you still using pCloud (btw, they offer a lifetime update for its 500GB/2TB packages with a 65% less price tag these days)?
If yes, do you manage it using its API?
I would be especially interested in its streaming capabilities, here to identify an audiolink (so it can be used to be embedded in Amazon Alexa's PLP skill) ...
https://docs.pcloud.com/methods/streaming/getaudiolink.html

Rgds,
Bo 8-)

To whom it may concern, if you're using a pCloud subscription or a lifetime account you'll be able to drop your files within a "public folder" (that seems not to be available for the free account option) - from there you can simply access those files using their sharing links (direct/website/forum), where the direct link (without any preview) can be used successfully within Alexa's PLP (PlayListPlayer) Skill, so you can play your own music using an Amazon device ie an Echo.
SOTE

19 Nov 2021, 18:08

Personally, don't like the plans offered by pCloud, in respect to what a person can get for free from Google Drive, OneDrive, etc... pCloud is swinging way too hard for the fence, instead of going for the easier base hits that are available. They are offering some interesting features over Google Drive, but you can't access them unless you pay for their 500 GB yearly plan or go for their lifetime plan. Both of which represent a commitment, that many people might not feel that pCloud is worth. It's like they are putting out pricing as if Google Drive doesn't exist or people don't know about it. At the present, Google Drive is offering 100GB for around 25 dollars.

Where if pCloud offered some intermediate plans, like 25GB to 100GB for around 9.99 to 19.99, it might be seen as worth checking out. I haven't bothered to search in detail, but if I did, probably I would see more viable alternatives in the before mentioned range. Maybe allow people to "dip their toe", and see if they like them. If it's a good, people will probably want more.
Masonjar13

20 Nov 2021, 22:38

@BoBo I do, I use the free version, and no I don't use their api. I have an AHK script that watches a sync'd folder and I upload command files from my phone to automate while I'm away from home. Didn't know there was an api actually, I'll look into that!
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
cebukaqic

17 Jan 2022, 05:57

I think there's nothing more convenient for sharing files besides Google Drive, although I have a Dropbox account but use it just to store files.
tidbit

18 Jan 2022, 15:29

google drive is so unintuitive and poorly made, its insane. Especially if you want to DL a folder with over 5gb. enjoy random files missing (not just the ones at the "end"). No warning, etc.
Share links are bloated. its UI is a mess. Literally nothing good about it beside the storage amount. If anyone else made such a mess no one would use it. It's just using googles name
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”