Thank you Autohotkey!

Talk about anything
Sergio

Thank you Autohotkey!

18 Apr 2017, 18:39

Ten years ago this forum helped turned me from a young sapling into a programmer. People used to yell RTFM a lot more in those days but I lived by that damn documentation and it made all of the difference.

Today, a decade later, I was adding a portion of the site where I pay tribute to the open source software in the stack (http://hlx.co/st/). While I didn't write it there, I thought I had to say it here; this community helped me get the career that I never thought I could get. Not just as a programmer but as an entrepreneur.

Sincerely, thank you!
Capn Odin

Re: Thank you Autohotkey!

19 Apr 2017, 02:28

That's great, I'm interested to know what part of ahk if any you turned into a career ?
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
joedf

19 Apr 2017, 06:10

Haven't seen a post from you in so long! :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Sergio

19 Apr 2017, 09:53

Capn Odin wrote:That's great, I'm interested to know what part of ahk if any you turned into a career ?
It's helped in probably more ways that I can list. But to give you some idea:

* Prior to AHK I wrote in HTML & some actionscript. So the bulk of all of my programming knowledge came from AHK. Even if I'm mostly applying those principles in Python today, they were learned here.

* I still use AHK to make UIs today. Most of my work is serverside & automation so the UI just needs to be a platform to convey information or collect new data. I suppose I should be using VB, but up until now it's allowed me to leverage the same results without the investment of learning a new language.

* Lastly - and most importantly - I use AHK in projects where other languages fall short or when the timetable to produce a result is ASAP and working in AHK would shave even as little as an hour off the result.

* * Integrating disparate software that do not integrate otherwise. IE a software with a UI & no reasonable means of importing/exporting data

* * Creating disposable software. These tend to be tiny tasks where if the programming time is greater than an hour, it's just not worth it. So a software that pings a site, checks for a criteria and alerts the user about the current criteria would be a prime example. Though I understand that this level of hyper-bootstrapping isn't so common outside of ecommerce.

* * Creating software which maximizes a person's time. Sometimes that entails just mimicking a point & click process to turn a 5 minute task, repeated all day, into a 30 second, no-thinking task.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”