Flat Earth vs. Globe Earth

Talk about anything

Flat or Globe

You may select 1 option

View results
tidbit

Flat Earth vs. Globe Earth

21 Jun 2017, 15:35

I've been seeing these discussions more and more across the internet. I'm wondering what programmers/scripters think.

Which do you believe? Flat Earth or Globe Earth. Or some other shape.
Why? What proof/facts/arguments/reasons do you have for or against the other?

Please
- keep it civil
- no insulting other peoples intelligence

any harsh trolling posts may be deleted without warning.

"Don't feed the trolls" - GeekDude
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
nnnik

Re: Flat Earth vs. Globe Earth

21 Jun 2017, 17:31

"Dont feed the trolls" - creates a topic about ignoring physical evidence.
Recommends AHK Studio
Blackholyman

22 Jun 2017, 02:34

Almost did not vote on this as I feel that this is one more of those "just so out there" idea's, what is this new "movement" believing all kinds claims, like see the shadows in that image are to dark or are pointing the wrong way and what not... really why? I don't get the need for not believing something that you as a normal person can even test your self with a normal understanding of physics.

Lots of just as out there claims, never been to the moon, world war 2 never happen and many more theories that all differ in amount of craziness.
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
jonathan scott james

22 Jun 2017, 05:17

a flat map (like a road map from the gas station ), (or like google computer maps), is actually kind of strange. the "legend" tells the "statute miles" but in reality. the distance across the equator is 22000 miles and the distance across the tip top of the map(which is mysteriously missing) is absolute zero miles)
this is because,
a map is actually made by distorting the spherical globe, into a cylinder , then slicing the cylinder from top to bottom then unfurling the picture . it has a nice perfect grid on it. but thats grid is actually highly distorted ,, it represent's the effect of the meridians(the vertical lines on the sphere that resemble the sections of an orange),, the meridians are made straight and get spaced way apart at more and more toward the north and south poles.. so the map's "legend" has the little "mile" line but that line is so so wrong. when you get closer to the pole it is not only too short, but the actual distance is greater on the flat map than it is in real life. lmao.. sorry , pardon my french acronyms.. so does that in any way answer your question a little? i can get more specific if you like
Noesis

23 Jun 2017, 07:01

Ok so I had to go ahead and pick some other shape for a simple reason, and that is that I tend to think this is a question inquiring about the shape of the earth. Flat is an adjective not a noun so not a shape, and simply "globe" is too broad a term and In my mind isn't really the correct shape either, unless further defined. So an Earth shaped globe would be fine, but globe on it's own could be any other spherical-like object's shape perhaps the Earth's shape but perhaps the Moon's shape or any other bodies shape as well, and there are more globes unlike Earth, than like Earth (i.e. there is only one Earth Globe but billions upon billions of Globes).

So I would argue It's a poorly worded question (possibly a trick question), with ambiguous answers and a leading title to make one think the globe referred to couldn't possibly be a snow globe.
jonathan scott james

23 Jun 2017, 09:35

the globe is nice because you can take a piece of string or a protractor and measure distance accurately. as opposed to the flat map which is distorted and the string method will not work neither will the protractor.
yet an other possibility that was not mentioned, is the computer generated 3d globe which is much more precise and almost smaller that a folded up map (if it's on a small thin marshmallow android)
joedf

29 Jun 2017, 15:20

lol tidbit... whyyy haha
I put other, coming from a geology background the actual "shape" is naturally an imperfect ellipsoid +/- topography :p

My constructive argument: Assuming the earth is flat going to the edge brings you back around on the other side of the map. In this scenario, it would mean we would have an infinite flat surface. Considering the 3rd and 4th dimensions, the only "shape" or rather "form" is the sphere which is essentially an infinite flat surface.
The other scenario is that we just fall off the edge. If that were true we would not have the four seasons as we know today. The sun has to rotate around something in order to have day and night always coming from the east to the west regardless if the earth is flat or not. Otherwise, it would mean gravity is in-existent and that we are pulled to earth by a different force. The milankovitch cycles mathematically proves that the earth is a "globe"; it explains the sun cycles and seasonal climates in which a flat earth, the four seasons would be impossible.

Further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

29 Jun 2017, 15:35

ya, I know it's not a perfect sphere :D that's just being super technical. Thank you, moon (and probably other things). It's still a globe/sphereoid. not cuboid or tetrahedron or disc. It might be a torus knot though ;)

Why? because it's fun to read/watch reasons why people think it's flat (or not).
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
jeeswg

29 Jun 2017, 18:49

@joedf I recently watched From the Earth to the Moon, and there's a good episode about a geologist, Lee Silver, just thought I'd mention. It's about making geology interesting and exciting to the astronauts.

Well now I'm here ..., the Sun and the Moon look roughly spherical, so maybe the Earth is too, plus the Earth isn't even flat where I live, there are hills and slopes everywhere.

When people say a 'flat Earth', what do they propose, a square tablet shape, a circular plate shape?
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
tidbit

29 Jun 2017, 19:11

usually a circle plate. but they don't literally mean the entire thing is flat (there's still hills/mountains). just everything on one side, facing 'up'.

flat earth theory in a nutshell:
- earth is a flat disc
- there's a bubble holding everything in, preventing things/people from falling off
- there's ice all around the edge (the globes south pole)
- sun / moon are smaller, inside the earths bubble
- some believe there's no such thing as outer space
- earth is stationary in space
- nasa fakes eclipses with balloons or something.
- basically every scientist from around the world lies (especially nasa and other space agencies)
- other stuff I'm too lazy to put much thought into remembering
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
jeeswg

29 Jun 2017, 19:15

Hmm, measurements from eclipses or seismic events, where the strength decreases away from a central point are interesting because they suggest a spherical Earth.

@tidbit: Cheers, nice summary.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

29 Jun 2017, 22:13

oh tidbit you low-key troll ;)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Vh_

08 Aug 2017, 21:13

My comment is how come the rivers flow a different direction in other states that your own. Yeah, the gravity or magnetism what ever. But in my thoughts, a round earth will cause flow at different directions.. no science behind it..
indiemoon

08 Aug 2017, 21:15

rivers flow into oceans. so depending in which ocean its going to...
wolf_II

08 Aug 2017, 21:32

It is Cubes all the way down!

Cube.png
Cube.png (119.88 KiB) Viewed 11884 times

I firmly believe that NASA and the rest of the world are conspiring against me personally. They put all these spherical and plate-shaped misrepresentations of the planet I lived on for all my life out there to troll me. And there is no point in presenting any arguments, I already have made up my mind about this.
joedf

08 Aug 2017, 23:22

What if the earth is a flat globe?
A flobe? Or a globe in the second dimension? :00000
Gio

13 Sep 2017, 17:43

*Sees a ongoing geeky talk* :) :geek:
*takes a look at the arguments*

"Aw come on! Newtonean arguments only? Are we really stuck in the 16th century?" :x

*takes a sip of beer* :beer:
*starts digressing*

The GPS system only ever worked when they added in the calculations that account for the curvature of time and space. That means you will never get accurate answers with euclidian geometry calculations only. And let's not forget that according to this 20th century scientist called Einstein, spacetime can be "curved" by objects with mass (such as the earth itself) and also, the spacetime of the "same location" can somehow "be different" depending on the positions of two or more observers, which is also something to account for.

Conclusion: The earth has no definitive shape. (Where is that option?) :think:
joedf

13 Sep 2017, 22:36

Nothing is real. O_O
Noesis

14 Sep 2017, 01:02

You may be right joedf, after all the Universe could be a hologram.
nnnik

14 Sep 2017, 01:12

Then again all that doesn't affect our ability to define shapes.
Recommends AHK Studio

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”