Re: AHKathon! [AHK Hackathon] 12/17

04 Dec 2017, 09:42

This is :offtopic: lol
try it and see
waetherman

04 Dec 2017, 10:09

Micromegas wrote:
waetherman wrote:Such rules are actually ...
OK…
I wouldn’t think someone would argue with that. OK then, it is my opinion. I wonder how many people share it, I would say a lot, but it’s indeed my gut feel.
Micromegas

04 Dec 2017, 11:12

waetherman wrote:I wonder how many people share it ...
I would have shared it if at least two of the following three conditions were met:(1) if this were a prestigious award, (2) if it cost me a big effort, and (3) if I couldn't trust the judge. For me, neither is true in this case: It's just a harmless event with the goal to inspire us to do something we enjoy anyway, and I've seen the judge around enough to trust that he isn't going to disqualify someone for spurious motives.
waetherman

04 Dec 2017, 13:08

Micromegas wrote:
waetherman wrote:I wonder how many people share it ...
I would have shared it if at least two of the following three conditions were met:(1) if this were a prestigious award, (2) if it cost me a big effort, and (3) if I couldn't trust the judge. For me, neither is true in this case: It's just a harmless event with the goal to inspire us to do something we enjoy anyway, and I've seen the judge around enough to trust that he isn't going to disqualify someone for spurious motives.
On these terms, I can agree with you :) I wasn’t really referring to this particular situation, rather commenting on a negative mechanism of such kind of reason–lacking disqualifying, banning etc.
nnnik

04 Dec 2017, 14:21

Micromegas wrote:
OK, it seems it's time for a serious discussion. When you write "actually", do you actually have anything to back up your claim, such as a scientific study or some concrete real-life experience, or is it just your gut feel? Or do you mean that you yourself are feeling demotivated by this rule?
He's trolling you - I can tell because I know him
Recommends AHK Studio
Masonjar13

04 Dec 2017, 19:07

waetherman wrote:Such rules are actually great to demotivate people from putting too much effort in their participation. I mean, for example, I wanted to try and make as good enry as Captain's, but I'm not going to lose my time if I can get disqualified for some absurd reason like "entry too simple" or something like that.
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 07#p182507

While there are prizes, that's not the point of the hackathon, it's just an incentive. The point is to get people writing and get them thinking in different perspectives. It also is a great opportunity for newbies to learn and get motivated!

@nnnik, I see what you mean, but I'm posting this anyway for reference.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
jeeswg

04 Dec 2017, 21:34

- I find it a bit curious that we're supposed to post scripts to this thread, because if we post early (a good idea), other people could just use our code (a bad idea). Also near the deadline, could the thread conceivably get overloaded, and, won't it be hard to separate regular comments from entries?
- Also another issue, when I've seen click-related posts in Ask For Help, I'm thinking, should I help with this, at least during the AHKathon week.
- Personally I'm not that bothered by either issue, but some people might really want to win this!
Last edited by jeeswg on 04 Dec 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
Capn Odin

04 Dec 2017, 21:45

You are right, I had not thought of this what if someone borrows from my script and use it against me. How can I beat perfection.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
Masonjar13

04 Dec 2017, 22:19

I don't see a problem with someone taking someone elses idea to expand on, but copy and pasting would be against the rules I posted. I did add that posts that contain an entry should specify such at the top of the post. Concerning Ask For Help.. I don't know? I suppose that would be user prerogative.

Capn Odin, you have a point there ;)

Also note that it'll take me a while to actually score them, considering I won't be doing so until after the deadline, and it'll be around the holidays. I also will be out of state til mid January, not sure when I'm leaving though. It shouldn't actually take me until then to finish, but I would encourage people to check other entries to make sure nothing was directly stolen and notify me if something was, to make sure I catch it.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
Micromegas

05 Dec 2017, 02:38

jeeswg wrote:- I find it a bit curious that we're supposed to post scripts to this thread
Wouldn't it make more sense to post them in the Scripts and Functions forum, rather than here in the "Offtopic" forum?
waetherman

05 Dec 2017, 10:38

nnnik wrote:
Micromegas wrote:
OK, it seems it's time for a serious discussion. When you write "actually", do you actually have anything to back up your claim, such as a scientific study or some concrete real-life experience, or is it just your gut feel? Or do you mean that you yourself are feeling demotivated by this rule?
He's trolling you - I can tell because I know him
Not well enough! I wasn’t trolling him, though I’ll admit I have a light attitude that maybe is trolling for some (especially one particular, very serious nation, that I will not mention, as some people here are very sensitive about racism :trollface:)

And if I’m trolling, then wth is Captain doing! And that brings me to the point of copying scripts of others, as I already admitted that I got heavily inspired by his work of art, so that would disqualify me.

Also, as µMegas said, We’re not at the Olympics; the prizes are modest, so I wouldn’t expect some shenanigans, where participants create complex schemes in order to screw others up. :D So feel free to take and modify my code, and if you create something funny with it, I will be glad to lose to that. Also, I think the masonjury will be reading the thread in a chronological order, so he first sees that I made a script that draws in mspaint, and I will get points for that, and then he sees that some guy X made a script that draws a beautiful Mandelbrot fractal in MS Paint – so the latter will not get points for opening mspaint and having an idea to do so, but he will get points for drawing an awesome fractal, which I haven’t done. Simple and fair.

Still, if your script is mostly someone else’s script and nothing else, it’s probably too much of a similarity: let’s say you use `loop` in your script, well, that’s like 50% of Captain’s script, that’s just too much!
derz00

05 Dec 2017, 10:58

Still, he won't give you points for the mspaint part if you don't have entry on top of it. :poke:
try it and see
waetherman

05 Dec 2017, 11:19

derz00 wrote:Still, he won't give you points for the mspaint part if you don't have entry on top of it. :poke:
I’ve put a GIF there with the color of the background on frame 1 and "entry" on frame 2 and 7×24×3600×1000 ms delay between the frames.
BoBo

06 Dec 2017, 15:49

I desperately request that this competition won't get started unless the AHK community is proudly owning its own homemade :arrow: Native Messaging Host :idea: :shifty: :silent: :mrgreen:
Capn Odin

06 Dec 2017, 16:03

BoBo wrote:I desperately request that this competition won't get started unless the AHK community is proudly owning its own homemade :arrow: Native Messaging Host :idea: :shifty: :silent: :mrgreen:
Will it be able to click ?
If so then maybe it will take second place.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
derz00

06 Dec 2017, 17:50

@BoBo maybe that can be the next AHKathon topic
try it and see
waetherman

06 Dec 2017, 18:21

entry

Code: Select all

http://p.ahkscript.org/?p=3b95657c
nnnik