Hotkey collisions

Talk about anything
cdw3423

Hotkey collisions

10 Dec 2017, 19:56

I was wondering how interested other people would be in a device that could fire off over 3000 AHK macros with a near zero chance of any hotkey collisions. I would have said zero chance, but I'm sure there is someone out there using some hardware I'm not aware of.

I'm working on something mostly for myself but considering the idea of selling it or maybe just publishing the design on a website and then if anyone wants it they can make their own.

If anyone thinks this would be cool, I'll give details on how I plan to make this work.

Chris W.
-- Still using my 13 year old Gateway AnyKey programmable keyboard.
guest3456

Re: Hotkey collisions

12 Dec 2017, 14:07

cdw3423 wrote:I was wondering how interested other people would be in a device that could fire off over 3000 AHK macros with a near zero chance of any hotkey collisions. I would have said zero chance, but I'm sure there is someone out there using some hardware I'm not aware of.

I'm working on something mostly for myself but considering the idea of selling it or maybe just publishing the design on a website and then if anyone wants it they can make their own.

If anyone thinks this would be cool, I'll give details on how I plan to make this work.

Chris W.
-- Still using my 13 year old Gateway AnyKey programmable keyboard.
i'm curious to see what you're working on, please keep us updated

cdw3423

Re: Hotkey collisions

12 Dec 2017, 14:46

The long term plan is a dedicated touch screen that can have as many pages of buttons as you want and you can just swipe to a different page. You will be able to provide a images for your buttons and specify the number of buttons in each column and row.

Right now I am having issues with AHK triggering the right hotkey when using certain modifier key combinations. I submitted a post on that in the Help forum category. You won't have to use AHK with this device but, I thought it would be easier to set it up to just send various modifier key combinations with the F13-F24 keys. Since I've never seen those keys on a keyboard, you shouldn't need to worry about hotkey collisions and with 8 modifier keys that gives 256 possibilities * 12 function keys, for a total of 3072 hotkey combinations.

Having the app on the touch screen send all of the key strokes would be great, but not as powerful as what you can do with AHK. Another problem with having the touch screen device send all the keystrokes instead of just one keystroke to AHK, is I have to create an easy way for the user to program the touch screen with the keys to send. For now it is just easier to edit a AHK file on the PC. The master plan is to have this device be a pass through for your current keyboard so you could hit a button on the touch screen to put it in record mode, where it will record your keystrokes and save them to play back later. It's going to be a while before I get that figured out, so the Android tablet and Bluetooth LE device will be the fastest way to get started for now. I plan on buying a really cheap (less than $100) tablet and have it dedicated to run this one app.

My first iteration will just use an android tablet that will connect to a micro controller via Bluetooth LE and that device will be connected to your computer via USB. It will only have text labels on the buttons. My first plan was to use a Raspberry Pi and have it connected to the computer but the development tools to program for it are taking longer to learn than the Android development tools I have. And the annoying thing about the Raspberry Pi is, with it's touch screen, it needs more power than a USB port can supply so it would need 2 cables which I hate.

Let me know what you think.

Chris W

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”