[Help] Thesis about AHK!

Talk about anything
MasterFocus

[Help] Thesis about AHK!

06 Oct 2015, 18:49

Dear friends and forum members,

As some of you may be aware, I intend to get my bachelor's degree in information systems by the end of this year.
This means I have to write a final, lengthy paper before the end of this semester. :crazy:
But guess what? It's going to be about AutoHotkey! :D
I noticed a lack of papers regarding AHK specifically: most of them focus on another subject and simply cite AHK very quickly as a tool for automating a certain step in a much broader scenario.

I've been in love with this community for many years now and I'm sure I can rely on you guys for some help yet again. :)

I explained to my teachers that most of my bibliography will be composed by hyperlinks.
With so many changes (IPBoards, phpBB, etc) over the last years, I can't seem to find many interesting topics/posts I recall from the past.
Therefore, I could use any links you may find/have (recent or not) about AHK itself, its story throughout the years, its pros and cons, comparisons to AutoIt and others, surveys, articles from other websites, topics/posts from other non-AHK forums, etc.

I remember occasionally seeing testimonials of people who actually managed to increase production and/or get a promotion thanks to AutoHotkey. Some successuflly used AHK to reduce hand tension over extended periods. And there was a long-time moderator (I don't recall who exactly) that decided to pursue a project to help people with disabilities using AutoHotkey.
Do you know where I can find such stories? Also, have you ever thought about writing your own testimonial? Why not do it now? ;)

Since my focus must be AHK itself, some technical stuff shall be welcome as well: how it works internally, why C++ to begin with, how AHK's syntax evolved, etc.

For those wondering: as the pratical part of my thesis, I intend to assist on some frequent tasks at my university regarding things like the registration of new students. I'll probably start sketching some scripts next week.

Please feel free to contribute and ask any questions!
And once again, thank you all in advance! :D
Antonio França - git.io | github.com | ahk4.net | sites.google.com
Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.
Need help? Please post on the forum before sending me a PM.
tank

Re: [Help] Thesis about AHK!

06 Oct 2015, 19:05

how is this?
MS Lean Screen
First call resolution and trending issue tracking
Escalation tracking and training opportunity identified
45-60 seconds reduction from average handle time
MRA
reduction of 15 FTE from the manual process
as much as 20 million in fraud. Last Christmas/ New Year caught 2.2 million in fraud with this process
Human error in validating refunds is eliminated for over 20 k refunds per day
LP iTSYS (and the related reporting)
Assist investigators speed up and reduce errors in building a risk profile for merchant accounts during charge-back resolution
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
MasterFocus

06 Oct 2015, 19:45

Thanks for your reply, tank.
As I talked to you on IRC, I need hyperlinks and/or detailed testimonials to provide as a valid source.
As this is the final paper, it has some academic standards and the teachers may not believe everything I mention is true.
Being AHK my subject, of course the bibliography will be filled with hyperlinks.
But I can't convince the teachers you actually did those things from just a sentence.
I'd need much more detailed stories and/or background links to other sources that prove what you're saying. :|
joedf

06 Oct 2015, 20:30

Nice! Glad to hear this. :)
Theres this video recently posted, https://youtu.be/lIFE7h3m40U?t=2m50s
And I'm sure you could find some articles on lifehacker or techcrunch
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
just me

07 Oct 2015, 01:33

We had some little projects to support handicapped people in the German forum(s). Search for the member julius there. Maybe you can contact him on http://www.kommhelp.de/index.php/hilfsm ... es-und-das and get further information.
MasterFocus

28 Dec 2015, 14:49

Quick update: I finally got my degree, thanks to AutoHotkey! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Got a 10 out of 10 and many compliments from the teachers.
I just have to fix very minor issues and submit the final version by the end of January.

I'm really happy because there's a lack of formal academic articles regarding AutoHotkey itself, but I was able to create a comprehensive thesis with a huge compilation of references, covering AHK's full history, language characteristics, syntax, examples and related software.
Additionally, I created a script which automates a certain task and will effectively help my course's secretariat (starting in 2016). Practical implementations are rarely put to use after a thesis, so this is actually a great feat.

:dance:
joedf

28 Dec 2015, 16:16

Very nice!
Hope we'll get to see this thesis of yours! :D
Congrats! :)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

29 Dec 2015, 10:47

+1 "Hope we'll get to see this thesis of yours! :D"

Congrats!
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
guest3456

29 Dec 2015, 11:00

congrats my friend

nnnik

29 Dec 2015, 15:51

Sounds like a good idea.
Im curious to see what you created since I'm studying myself.
Recommends AHK Studio
xZomBie

04 Jan 2016, 02:35

Congratulations man! +1 to see the thesis :D
vasili111

25 Jan 2016, 07:25

Congratulations :) It is nice to see AutoHotkey in science.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
Gio

01 Feb 2016, 18:16

It is already freely available in the internet. 59 pages. It's in portuguese though (since he is from Brazil).

Quite easy to find, but i'm not going to link it without permission.

Parabéns pelo grau MasterFocus :thumbup:

Li seu trabalho e ficou muito bom.

Em relação ao caso da automação do sistema da secretaria, já fiz alguns scripts para automatizar a inserção de dados em GUIs de sistemas de terceiros aqui na empresa e, como você mencionou, a confiabilidade é um grande desafio quando o software em questão não possui uma rotina de integração própria com softwares externos. Por isso, em um software que não possuia uma rotina de integração com outros sistemas, optei por ter o usuário confirmando os dados digitados na tela antes de cada inserção (bastando clicar no enter, o que não adiciona muito tempo à rotina, mas prende o usuário na frente da tela).

Em um dos softwares que tem uma rotina de integração (através de importação de arquivos txt), no entanto, o resultado foi bem melhor, com a inclusão de centenas de cadastros ocorrendo em segundos (o AutoHotkey simplesmente cria o arquivo texto com os dados a serem importados no padrão definido pelo programador do software e depois o usuário simplesmente lança a rotina de importação do programa).

Finalmente, a melhor de todas as integrações que participei foi uma onde tive acesso ao banco de dados do sistema, o que dispensou completamente a necessidade de lançar qualquer rotina no aplicativo de terceiros, dando-me liberdade para trabalhar a automação da melhor forma possível. Infelizmente, a maioria dos desenvolvedores de software tem medo de dar acesso ao banco de dados de seus aplicativos, mesmo que a informação ali seja de propriedade dos clientes e o candidato demonstre suas qualificações, simplesmente por receio de que isso dê margem a algumas chamadas a mais ao suporte do programa deles.

Acredito que um grande entrave atual à automação de sistemas otimizada é, portanto, o fato de que os programadores criam seus aplicativos sem dedicar um pouco do seu trabalho para possibilitar que outros programadores agreguem valor ao sistema automatizando e otimizando suas rotinas para clientes específicos. Embora eles acreditem que têm razões pra isso (receio de aumento de custos de suporte), findam por limitar seus programas a um estado genérico que atenda a muitos clientes relativamente bem, mas não atende individualmente nenhum cliente da melhor forma possível, o que tira em demasia produtividade e tempo de nossos colaboradores.

Parabéns novamente e muito sucesso na sua carreira de programador.
Spoiler
Last edited by Gio on 01 Feb 2016, 23:37, edited 13 times in total.
joedf

01 Feb 2016, 20:15

Found it!
It references the AHK foundation history page :)
MasterFocus

28 Jan 2017, 11:21

Yes my friends, everything went according to plan! :D
Once again, thank you all for the support.

As you can imagine, things didn't get less busy in 2016. :crazy:
At work, I've been part of a project for quite some time now (which requires me to travel occasionally).
Our client has a restriction of which programs you can exeute on the machines.
Guess what: AHK 1.0.48.05 is allowed. My stubbornness in writing AHK1.0-compatible code finally pays off. :lol:

Despite being relatively away from the community recently (which is something I'll try to fix), I deal with AHK on a daily basis. Some things never change. 8-)

Gio wrote:Parabéns pelo grau MasterFocus :thumbup:
Obrigado! Outro dia mesmo um rapaz quis tirar dúvidas comigo justamente porque encontrou o meu trabalho na internet. Fico muito feliz. :D
joedf wrote:It references the AHK foundation history page :)
Yes, I wanted to provide as much background as possible! Hopefully I managed to assemble a complete historical guide on AHK.

If anyone else's interested, you can simply search for my thesis (access is free of charge, by default).
The title is: "O Uso do AutoHotkey como Ferramenta de Automação em Ambiente Windows"

I can't promise a quick reply, but feel free to ask anything!

Cheers!

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”