Fallout 1 not compatible with AHK?

Ask gaming related questions (AHK v1.1 and older)
UserInput

Fallout 1 not compatible with AHK?

23 Jun 2017, 21:39

I'm trying to rebind controls in Fallout 1 but in the game it would type out the hotkey and the command

The script would look like this for example:
f::b

And in the game it would type out like this:
fb

It works fine in notepad and everywhere else.
Please help.

Also here is my full script in case you guys need it:
SetTitleMatchMode, 2
#IfWinActive, Fallout
w:: up
a:: left
s:: down
d:: right
r:: m
g:: z
tab:: i
q:: ,
e:: .
f:: b
space:: c
Noesis

Re: Fallout 1 not compatible with AHK?

24 Jun 2017, 03:32

Have you tried running the script as Admin ?

Often games will still see original keys and/or don't see generated keys if the script isn't running with equal or higher privileges, and many games run escalated (even if UAC doesn't tell you about it). Sometimes games will still see original keys even if script is running as Admin but it's less often, and worth a try if you haven't tried it.
UserInput

24 Jun 2017, 15:24

Noesis wrote:Have you tried running the script as Admin ?

Often games will still see original keys and/or don't see generated keys if the script isn't running with equal or higher privileges, and many games run escalated (even if UAC doesn't tell you about it). Sometimes games will still see original keys even if script is running as Admin but it's less often, and worth a try if you haven't tried it.
No success.
Noesis

25 Jun 2017, 06:40

Another thing to try is rather than remaping the with that format, try this format using Sendmode Input, i.e.
w:: Send {up Down}
w Up:: Send {up Up}
a:: Send {left Down}
a Up:: Send {left Up}

It may work, but may not, I'm mainly suggesting this as I've used AHK with fallout 1 in the past and don't remember having the issue you're having, but I did it this way. However, I also had a modded version running so it could perhaps have been the mod that stopped this issue, hard to know without testing. Also throw in a #UseHook statement just to make sure AHK is using the hook.

FYI I have had this issue with a different game in the past, and the only solution I could find was to rebind the keys used in the game so that the physical keys I wanted to use were not used for anything in-game, that way even though it would see both keys it didn't care about one of them. It's been a while since I played fallout 1 and I can't remember if you can rebind the game keys or not.
UserInput

01 Jul 2017, 08:32

Noesis wrote:Another thing to try is rather than remaping the with that format, try this format using Sendmode Input, i.e.
w:: Send {up Down}
w Up:: Send {up Up}
a:: Send {left Down}
a Up:: Send {left Up}

It may work, but may not, I'm mainly suggesting this as I've used AHK with fallout 1 in the past and don't remember having the issue you're having, but I did it this way. However, I also had a modded version running so it could perhaps have been the mod that stopped this issue, hard to know without testing. Also throw in a #UseHook statement just to make sure AHK is using the hook.

FYI I have had this issue with a different game in the past, and the only solution I could find was to rebind the keys used in the game so that the physical keys I wanted to use were not used for anything in-game, that way even though it would see both keys it didn't care about one of them. It's been a while since I played fallout 1 and I can't remember if you can rebind the game keys or not.
Thanks for the help, sadly it didn't work and neither did the #UseHook.
I guess it doesn't matter anymore, I completed the game and got used to the controls and I am now playing fallout 2 and enjoying every minute of it.
If anybody else still has an idea please post, it could help other people who google for solution like I tried too.
Mordecai Walfish

05 Dec 2017, 01:42

I had the same issue with Fallout 1/2 and Autohotkey.

Ended up using KeyTweak to rebind the keys globally in windows, which sucks because you need to restart when enabling/disabling the program.

Return to “Gaming Help (v1)”