Have an issue with changing LCtrl

Ask gaming related questions (AHK v1.1 and older)
autobeast

Have an issue with changing LCtrl

22 Jan 2018, 17:50

Hello. I am new to this forum, I have read many articles and finally signed up due to this problem i am having with ahk. Well not just auto hotkey, it seems windows itself?
My issue is changing the left Ctrl key to the left Alt key. I have tried every script that allows you to swap these keys, none seem to work. Also i have tried every reg hack, Keytweak, Sharpkeys and nothing seems to allow me to change ctrl to my alt key! It will mess it up so neither work properly.

My reason behind this is I am playing Swtor. I am using the weyleran auto mouse look script https://torcommunity.com/tools/swtor-mouselook-combat
It is easier to hit alt than ctrl. my other modifier key for attacking is shift therefore alt is the best key for a combat modifer ie: alt + LButton
or alt+ RButton does not work due to an issue being ran in windowed mode ( of course, duh)------->( cant bind keys in game to alt)<---------
You have to play swtor in windowed mode because full screen will lagg like crazy because the game is a pile of S****

When i hold down the physical LAlt key. I want it act like i am holding ctrl down. Plain and simple right?

None of this explains why i cant have ctrl bind to alt no matter what. I have exhausted all options. This is probably really confusing but i will answer questions the best i can. my skill level is noob!
I am running windows 10.
Thanks.
acoin

Re: Have an issue with changing LCtrl

26 Mar 2018, 10:31

This is what worked for me, go to the website at the bottom for further details:

While Windows does not let you swap modifier keys as does Mac (go to System Preferences, Keyboard, and Modifier Keys), there is a program called AutoHotKey which makes it easy. I introduced this program in a previous article here on AlanHogan.com. If you do not have AutoHotKey, download and install it on Windows.

The second step is to save the code below as swap-alt-ctrl.ahk on your Windows computer.

We also want to make sure this file is run by AutoHotKey every time you log in. We can do this by placing the .ahk file in your startup folder. To find this folder, open the Run prompt (Windows key + R) and type shell:startup. Hit Enter or click OK. You should now see your Startup folder. Just place your swap-alt-ctrl.ahk file here.

Now whenever you log in, your left (and only left) Ctrl and Alt keys will be switched!

; This file by Alan J. Hogan
; https://alanhogan.com/tips/swap-left-al ... in-windows
; Switches the left Control and Alt keys.

LCtrl::Alt
LAlt::Ctrl

Return to “Gaming Help (v1)”