Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped? Topic is solved

Ask gaming related questions (AHK v1.1 and older)
Evil-e

Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?

26 Oct 2018, 18:56

In Mx vs ATV: Reflex the LButton is steadfastly holding its ground to keeping the camera "look back" function. I can map this to "lean forward",
but it will also "look back" when used. It is pretty difficult to approach a proper landing of dirt bike when I am looking at the guys behind me :(

Any thoughts on how to overcome this issue?

:morebeard:

PS. Experimenting, I tried to just "kill" the LButton by way of mapping it to a dead key, but it still looks backward anyway
I have a bit of experience opening and sending commands to game console and CMD.exe... just ask :)
Nextron

Re: Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?

27 Oct 2018, 03:11

What's your script and have you tried running the script as admin?
swagfag

27 Oct 2018, 05:29

what im gathering from this is a game function is hardcoded and isnt possible to unbind/rebind it. if thats the case, then there nothing much u can do, besides intercepting the key press at a driver level and modifying it before the game registers it.
see https://github.com/evilC/AutoHotInterception
Evil-e

27 Oct 2018, 07:45

I am able to map the "Lean Forward" key to LButton, but when I use it, my character does both "Lean Forward" and "Looks Back".
ATM I have mapped MButton for "Lean Forward" and RButton for "Lean Back" and works, but this is not consistent with other motorcycle
games I have. I bounce around between games a lot, so muscle memory keeps messing me up :) So the script works, but swag figured
out what I already suspected :(

I looked into swags link, but is more than I want to invest in this particular issue. Looks like my old-dog muscles are gonna have to learn
some new tricks :HeHe:

Thanks to you both, The Beard :morebeard:

Here is the script I am using:
----------------------------------------------------------
$F12::ExitApp
return
e::w
d::s
s::a
f::d
q::f
t::v
a::x
MButton::up<---------------------------------------;I wanted this key as the only function on the LButton
RButton::down
XButton1::left
XButton2::right
capsLock::enter
Return
--------------------------------------------------------
I have a bit of experience opening and sending commands to game console and CMD.exe... just ask :)
evilC

29 Oct 2018, 14:06

@swagfag - with his skill level, hard-blocking LMB would probably lead to disaster...

If you don't have a remapping such as LButton::Up in your script, then AutoHotkey is not going to stop the game from seeing LButton pressed

MButton::up<---------------------------------------;I wanted this key as the only function on the LButton If you wanted it on LButton, then why remap Mbutton ??
Evil-e

16 Nov 2018, 12:31

Wow.... this thread completely fell off my radar :(

I am able to map "Lean Forward" to LButton, but it then becomes a dual function key. Character will lean forward, but the camera
will turn 180 degrees simultaneously :( I compromised by using the MButton, but is inconsistent with all other motorcycle games
I have.

Seeing this post inspired me to give an idea a try....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
$LButton::up<----------------------;I've read modifiers don't work on mouse, but not till after my findings below
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This script took about 5 key presses and then it actually started working. The character would lean forward and camera
would stay in the fixed position. I was pretty shocked, so I continued to play the game for another 5 minutes testing and it
continued to work consistently. Then the big test.... exit game and restart it..........[holds breath]........ FAIL!

:offtopic: <-------------------- remove OFF TOPIC! sign and can see my current disposition

For now.... I will have to stick with MButton for my leaning pleasure. So if someone reading this knows a way to press the
LButton without actually "pressing" the LButton.... I'm all ears :)
Nextron

16 Nov 2018, 13:14

Evil-e wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 12:31
Then the big test.... exit game and restart it..........[holds breath]........ FAIL!
Have you tried running the script as admin or restarting the script after the game has been started?
Evil-e

16 Nov 2018, 21:43

@Nex.... yes, I am running as admin and launching AHK.exe before or after game is started makes no difference

OK.... this is what I found out since my last post:

Motorcycles:
up key = "lean forward"
down key = "lean back"

UTV's, trucks and ATV's:
up key = "lean back"
down key = "lean forward"

So..... depending on what vehicle is being driven, the lean options are reversed :wtf:

I also figured out, the throttle / brake keys also perform lean forward / back functions while in the air and consistent on all vehicles
E key = throttle /lean back
D key = brake / lean forward
While it makes sense that applying throttle on any vehicle will have a tendency to make user lean back, this is counter-intuitive
to how I would prefer. If character is way up in the air and going nose-down, my instinctive response is to press the "D" key,
as this seems logical to "lean back" and level out the vehicle... but can't win 'em all

So, as always.... I appreciate all the input and helped me figure out the throttle / brake keys are going to be the best way to
play this game on all vehicles.

Peace :morebeard:
Evil-e

Re: Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?  Topic is solved

10 Mar 2019, 09:37

Thought I would update this thread, should anyone do a future search on this type of issue

solution is as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#IfWinActive MX Vs ATV REFLEX ahk_class MX VS ATV
WinWait, MX Vs ATV REFLEX ahk_class MX VS ATV
WinWaitClose, MX Vs ATV REFLEX ahk_class MX VS ATV
ExitApp
return
$F12::ExitApp
return
LButton::
{
send {up down}{LButton down}{LButton up}........................;allows LButton for "UP" key (lean forward), but game "thinks" LButton's unused
keywait, LButton
send {up up}
}
Return
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Works perfectly and ONLY "Leans Forward" when LButton is used, even after shutting down and restarting the game multiple times. Unfortunately, the "Look Back" function has been lost. So while this solved my initial issue, I wish there were a way to still have the "Look Back" function, just on the "Q" key, as is my go-to button for this feature in racing games.

I tried:
-------------------------------------------------------
q::LButton
-------------------------------------------------------
Fail... AHK sees this as mapping 2 keys for the same function, so an error killed that idea :( I would welcome any input on how to
get the "Look Back" feature to the "Q" button.

Thanks, pepes :morebeard:

Return to “Gaming Help (v1)”