Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?

Ask gaming related questions
Evil-e

Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?

26 Oct 2018, 18:56

In Mx vs ATV: Reflex the LButton is steadfastly holding its ground to keeping the camera "look back" function. I can map this to "lean forward",
but it will also "look back" when used. It is pretty difficult to approach a proper landing of dirt bike when I am looking at the guys behind me :(

Any thoughts on how to overcome this issue?

:morebeard:

PS. Experimenting, I tried to just "kill" the LButton by way of mapping it to a dead key, but it still looks backward anyway
I have a bit of experience opening and sending commands to console (not CMD)... just ask :)
Nextron

Re: Overcome a key that refuses to be remapped?

27 Oct 2018, 03:11

What's your script and have you tried running the script as admin?
swagfag

27 Oct 2018, 05:29

what im gathering from this is a game function is hardcoded and isnt possible to unbind/rebind it. if thats the case, then there nothing much u can do, besides intercepting the key press at a driver level and modifying it before the game registers it.
see https://github.com/evilC/AutoHotInterception
Evil-e

27 Oct 2018, 07:45

I am able to map the "Lean Forward" key to LButton, but when I use it, my character does both "Lean Forward" and "Looks Back".
ATM I have mapped MButton for "Lean Forward" and RButton for "Lean Back" and works, but this is not consistent with other motorcycle
games I have. I bounce around between games a lot, so muscle memory keeps messing me up :) So the script works, but swag figured
out what I already suspected :(

I looked into swags link, but is more than I want to invest in this particular issue. Looks like my old-dog muscles are gonna have to learn
some new tricks :HeHe:

Thanks to you both, The Beard :morebeard:

Here is the script I am using:
----------------------------------------------------------
$F12::ExitApp
return
e::w
d::s
s::a
f::d
q::f
t::v
a::x
MButton::up<---------------------------------------;I wanted this key as the only function on the LButton
RButton::down
XButton1::left
XButton2::right
capsLock::enter
Return
--------------------------------------------------------
I have a bit of experience opening and sending commands to console (not CMD)... just ask :)
evilC

29 Oct 2018, 14:06

@swagfag - with his skill level, hard-blocking LMB would probably lead to disaster...

If you don't have a remapping such as LButton::Up in your script, then AutoHotkey is not going to stop the game from seeing LButton pressed

MButton::up<---------------------------------------;I wanted this key as the only function on the LButton If you wanted it on LButton, then why remap Mbutton ??
Evil-e

16 Nov 2018, 12:31

Wow.... this thread completely fell off my radar :(

I am able to map "Lean Forward" to LButton, but it then becomes a dual function key. Character will lean forward, but the camera
will turn 180 degrees simultaneously :( I compromised by using the MButton, but is inconsistent with all other motorcycle games
I have.

Seeing this post inspired me to give an idea a try....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
$LButton::up<----------------------;I've read modifiers don't work on mouse, but not till after my findings below
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This script took about 5 key presses and then it actually started working. The character would lean forward and camera
would stay in the fixed position. I was pretty shocked, so I continued to play the game for another 5 minutes testing and it
continued to work consistently. Then the big test.... exit game and restart it..........[holds breath]........ FAIL!

:offtopic: <-------------------- remove OFF TOPIC! sign and can see my current disposition

For now.... I will have to stick with MButton for my leaning pleasure. So if someone reading this knows a way to press the
LButton without actually "pressing" the LButton.... I'm all ears :)
Nextron

16 Nov 2018, 13:14

Evil-e wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 12:31
Then the big test.... exit game and restart it..........[holds breath]........ FAIL!
Have you tried running the script as admin or restarting the script after the game has been started?
Evil-e

16 Nov 2018, 21:43

@Nex.... yes, I am running as admin and launching AHK.exe before or after game is started makes no difference

OK.... this is what I found out since my last post:

Motorcycles:
up key = "lean forward"
down key = "lean back"

UTV's, trucks and ATV's:
up key = "lean back"
down key = "lean forward"

So..... depending on what vehicle is being driven, the lean options are reversed :wtf:

I also figured out, the throttle / brake keys also perform lean forward / back functions while in the air and consistent on all vehicles
E key = throttle /lean back
D key = brake / lean forward
While it makes sense that applying throttle on any vehicle will have a tendency to make user lean back, this is counter-intuitive
to how I would prefer. If character is way up in the air and going nose-down, my instinctive response is to press the "D" key,
as this seems logical to "lean back" and level out the vehicle... but can't win 'em all

So, as always.... I appreciate all the input and helped me figure out the throttle / brake keys are going to be the best way to
play this game on all vehicles.

Peace :morebeard:

Return to “Gaming”