Best vJoy & UCR config for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance? Topic is solved

Ask gaming related questions (AHK v1.1 and older)
Atsix

Best vJoy & UCR config for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance?

27 Jun 2017, 23:07

Hi everyone,
I have installed Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, and since the game requires a joystick, I'm using vJoy and UCR to play it with mouse and keyboard, but I'm having some problems. At first, I was able to correctly map the mouse's X and Y axis to the virtual joystick, but the ship kept "rotating" even when I wasn't touching the mouse. I was able to fix this issue by disabling rudders on the option menu, but then I felt that the ship was moving a bit too slowly. I don't know if it's supposed to move this way or if the rudders should be enabled (it's my first time playing a Star Wars flight sim), so I was wondering if anybody here is also using vJoy and UCR to play the game with a mouse, and what is the best configuration to play it correctly.

If someone could help me, I would be really thankful.
Noesis

Re: Best vJoy & UCR config for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance?  Topic is solved

28 Jun 2017, 08:12

Nothing to do with UCR, but something that may be causing you to feel like the ship is moving slowly, and by this, I take this moving to mean turning slowly, the ships velocity in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series of games does seem slow in many respects, at least that's my perception.

Anyway, in Alliance, the throttle setting is important, you turn fastest when throttle is set to 1/3 i.e. 33%, and it's severely noticeable compared to any other throttle setting (FYI speed isn't important in this, just the actual % throttle setting so you don't have to wait for speed to reach what it should be at 33%, if you were previously traveling at say 100% throttle for example).

Also you'll most likely want the mouse to control pitch and yaw, and when yawing, there is a slight roll associated with it, but that's unavoidable it's just the way they did the Star Wars games, (kind of reflects the movie scenes when they show a ship turn). Rudders I think from memory default to rolling, odds are you had an axis for rudders, but it wasn't centered originally or the game didn't think it was, it uses vjoy's RZ axis for this, and I can't remember if the axis can be changed in game or not but, I vaguely remember that you couldn't change it. Either way, you can map keys to do roll left or right anyway, same with throttle, which uses the Z axis. Hope this is of help.
Atsix

Re: Best vJoy & UCR config for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance?

02 Jul 2017, 22:08

Noesis wrote:Nothing to do with UCR, but something that may be causing you to feel like the ship is moving slowly, and by this, I take this moving to mean turning slowly, the ships velocity in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series of games does seem slow in many respects, at least that's my perception.

Anyway, in Alliance, the throttle setting is important, you turn fastest when throttle is set to 1/3 i.e. 33%, and it's severely noticeable compared to any other throttle setting (FYI speed isn't important in this, just the actual % throttle setting so you don't have to wait for speed to reach what it should be at 33%, if you were previously traveling at say 100% throttle for example).

Also you'll most likely want the mouse to control pitch and yaw, and when yawing, there is a slight roll associated with it, but that's unavoidable it's just the way they did the Star Wars games, (kind of reflects the movie scenes when they show a ship turn). Rudders I think from memory default to rolling, odds are you had an axis for rudders, but it wasn't centered originally or the game didn't think it was, it uses vjoy's RZ axis for this, and I can't remember if the axis can be changed in game or not but, I vaguely remember that you couldn't change it. Either way, you can map keys to do roll left or right anyway, same with throttle, which uses the Z axis. Hope this is of help.
Thanks Noesis! I'm going to edit my virtual joystick according to your suggestion. I think that I have only enabled the X, Y and Z axis actually, so I think that's why the rudders weren't working :)

Return to “Gaming Help (v1)”