Other?
2%
I like pie.
21%

Total votes: 56
fischgeek

Re: New Homepage suggestions

22 Dec 2015, 23:13

I'm sorry, can I just put my opinion in here quick? JoeDF's is simple and sleek -- definitely my bag. BlackHolyman's is very modern and stays in line with other tech/software/language sites such as brackets, KendoUI, and angular to name a few.

I love both designs and honestly would be happy to see either implemented. and, either way you look at it, it'll be vastly better than AutoIt's site.

With all that being said, whatever we choose, please please change the background images. I know mac boards work on PC's (doing it at work), but it's misleading. And, BlackHolyman's is clearly not just a keyboard, but actually a macbook. I apologize if I'm beating this topic over the head. It's just I'm passionate about details. I would be willing to have our photographer at work take a picture of a windows machine with some actual AHK on the screen.

Should we put the design decision it to a vote?
joedf

23 Dec 2015, 00:54

Ahk stock images would be great :D
Setting up a poll...
Edit: poll is up
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
lexikos

23 Dec 2015, 00:59

I agree with fischgeek.
fischgeek

23 Dec 2015, 09:18

Just spoke with our designer at work here and she's willing to bring in her high-def camera and take a few shots of my Windows laptop with AHK code on it. She'll apply the same blur filter too so it should look pretty similar. I'll post the picture(s) when I have them.
joedf

23 Dec 2015, 12:01

That's Great, fischgeek! Looking forward to those "authentic ahk" stock images :D
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
fischgeek

24 Dec 2015, 15:09

Looks like we're pushing this to Monday. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
tank

24 Dec 2015, 16:51

thanks fischgeek
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
fischgeek

29 Dec 2015, 17:20

Took some shots yesterday. Hopefully I'll see something tonight after they've been "spruced" up.
joedf

29 Dec 2015, 19:20

Awesome, that's great! :)
fischgeek

30 Dec 2015, 13:45

Here's what she came up with. Let's hear your thoughts. Example of Blackholyman's site with new image

JoeDF, I played around with yours too, but I had a heck of a time getting the 'AutoHotkey' text to appear. It blends in when it's black, and when I change it to white, it clashes with the status bar on the screen. So, not sure what to do there.

EDIT: I just remembered, I have a white windows laptop that we could shoot the same shot on.
Exaskryz

30 Dec 2015, 16:09

Using a picture of a particular editor and syntax highlighter seems kinda worrisome to me in misleading people who have never coded before to think that the download would include an editor like that. (If there was one bundled with the downloader, that'd be great to use a picture of.)
fischgeek

30 Dec 2015, 17:07

Having just notepad up is as visually appealing as scite. This community is extremely helpful; I have no doubt that new comers could be setup in no time. I agree scite should be included in the download, or perhaps a choice of a few that are out there.
guest3456

30 Dec 2015, 18:02

fischgeek wrote:Here's what she came up with. Let's hear your thoughts.
Example of Blackholyman's site with new image
Excellent work, looks great. Don't use Notepad for this shot. Its great as is

Did you photoshop out the Lenovo logo? Because that looks awfully like my Thinkpad :)

lexikos

30 Dec 2015, 18:42

I agree; looks great. I like the colour one, especially without the black overlay. In the "Example of Blackholyman's site" image the dark blue of the background is indistinguishable from black (from my normal viewing angle, at least).
fischgeek wrote:I agree scite should be included in the download
I disagree. A more prominent link, maybe.

What I would like to see:
  • A visual guide to AutoHotkey's features, including choice of editors. Online, accessible from - but not necessarily on - the front page.
  • A better (much shorter than the Tutorial and more "professional") getting started guide for the documentation.
Exaskyrz wrote:Using a picture of a particular editor and syntax highlighter seems kinda worrisome to me in misleading people who have never coded before to think that the download would include an editor like that.
People make all kinds of ridiculous assumptions. It doesn't worry me.

I have a bigger problem with the picture. The mug. It needs a refill. :(

Also, do you not pick up the mug by its handle?
fischgeek

30 Dec 2015, 19:26

guest3456 wrote:Did you photoshop out the Lenovo logo? Because that looks awfully like my Thinkpad :)
Yep. lol. I didn't do it, I know as much as a caveman when it comes to photoshop. We figured it shouldn't be in there for various purposes.
lexikos wrote:the dark blue of the background is indistinguishable from black (from my normal viewing angle, at least).
I'm not sure what could be going on there. From my screen, there is a distinct difference.
lexikos wrote:I disagree. A more prominent link, maybe.
Fair enough.
lexikos wrote:I have a bigger problem with the picture. The mug. It needs a refill. :(

Also, do you not pick up the mug by its handle?
hahaha. We used the mug as a prop. I probably should've put in some coffee. The handle is facing the wrong way; I noticed this too after the fact. We did that because there's a Starbucks logo on the other side. We took a few shots and decided we were going to edit out the logo because we knew someone would call that out. ;) Guess she went with the shot that didn't need that much editing. We can definitely take another photo with the handle the right way and with some liquid.

Can anyone tell me what script is on the screen? :)
joedf

30 Dec 2015, 19:40

Very nice! :D
I couldn't help but notice that it's the PlasticCodeWrap theme I ported, or a look-a-like haha :)
fischgeek wrote:Can anyone tell me what script is on the screen? :)
Looks like Installer.ahk :)
fischgeek

30 Dec 2015, 19:43

Correct on both accounts! It felt fitting to have that as the background code.
lexikos

30 Dec 2015, 19:48

It's just too dark for my screen and - as I said - my normal viewing angle. My point is just that after seeing the original, I was disappointed by the loss of colour in the example image. I have no objections to its use on the home page.

The mug is fine; call it a joke, or a test of the visitor's observation skills. Actually, I often don't use the handle, because my throat is not the right place for burning hot liquid.

I recognized the script, but only after the mug. ;)
fischgeek

30 Dec 2015, 20:03

Blackholyman's site is using a black overlay with .6 opacity. I dialed it down to .4 -- What do you think of this one lex?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/466 ... man_.4.png
lexikos

30 Dec 2015, 20:15

The contrast for the main text is a bit worse with .4. Honestly, .6 is fine if I'm not comparing it to the unmasked image.

Return to “About This Community”