Can AHK be considered a bonafide programming language?

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
skribb

Can AHK be considered a bonafide programming language?

25 Jan 2016, 19:44

I was thinking the other day about AHK as a script and lingo. Since it is based on AutoIt wchich is more like a macro scripting tool, AHK in my opinion is very much a fully fledged lingo, since from experience I have downloaded certain apps of the net, only to discover in teh readme or something that it was written purely in AHK.

I always say if I became a programming tutor I'd always start teaching using AHK because it really does most everyhing an actual lingo can do, albeit much more straightforward and easy-to-grok syntax, no to mention the incredibly detailed FAQ with clear examples of every type of command. I mean, I started studying VB.net in high school, which is also very straigth forward in its ways and quite easy to get started with, but not as much "fun" as learning AHK is.

So IMO, AHK is a language, which I htink should be touted more and more.

And to the question, is it legtimate, according to you, to call aHK a language?
victorel

Re: Can AHK be considered a bonafide programming language?

10 Jun 2016, 08:17

In other languages, if something is easy to do for beginners, then it has no value (think of "Hello World" program...or a loop that does nothing but add 1+1 a 1000 times), while to get something of value to you, you need to learn a lot first.

And in AHK, you can get value/usefulness, for your present needs, with very little studying:
- make your life easier with hotkeys for repetitive actions
- make scripts that tweak the behavior of your apps and OS, that you use on a daily basis
- much more

So, yes, AHK is very rewarding to the novice, and therefore suitable as a first language.
tank

10 Jul 2016, 15:11

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/program ... guage.html
I cant see anything that is defined here that does not apply to ahk
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Sojiro84

28 Jul 2016, 02:15

victorel wrote:In other languages, if something is easy to do for beginners, then it has no value (think of "Hello World" program...or a loop that does nothing but add 1+1 a 1000 times), while to get something of value to you, you need to learn a lot first.

And in AHK, you can get value/usefulness, for your present needs, with very little studying:
- make your life easier with hotkeys for repetitive actions
- make scripts that tweak the behavior of your apps and OS, that you use on a daily basis
- much more

So, yes, AHK is very rewarding to the novice, and therefore suitable as a first language.
Agreed. I discovered this program/language a few months ago. I am still a novice but together with the community and the help from the community I managed to create a script that centers active windows for me automatically. Works even with multiple monitors!
RaptorX

27 Oct 2016, 20:57

While this language is AWESOME for so many things and is my favorite scripting language, it hits a few roadblocks that are very hard to surpass.
That might be the main reason why AHK still considered by many experienced programmers as "just a scripting language".

I have created several big programs but in each and every single one I would face very hard issues that are 'easily' solved in high level languages like C++...
I mainly use AHK to build 'quick and dirty' solutions or prototypes for programs that will be rewritten in more stable languages.

I do hope that the language will be robust enough to be considered a widely used language but that might take a little while still :)
joedf

28 Oct 2016, 12:27

Hey! long time no see RaptorX! :)
I agree, me too. However, many times my quick-n-dirty scripts end up becoming full-blown things ahah ;)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
RaptorX

05 Apr 2018, 17:17

joedf wrote:Hey! long time no see RaptorX! :)
I agree, me too. However, many times my quick-n-dirty scripts end up becoming full-blown things ahah ;)
Haha, yes!
Way too many times i start with a very simple program and end up with some thousand lines of code lol

I have been on and off the grid due to my company... Takes way toomuch of my time.

But will be back soon!
Projects:
AHK-ToolKit
joedf

06 Apr 2018, 21:36

Do what you do! Glad to hear from you! :+1:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Alibaba

01 Aug 2018, 12:31

I agree that AHK qualifies as a programming language!

For myself I can say, that AHK plays a significant role in my life, since it was my first programming/scripting experience, got my interest for computer science started, which I later decided to study and am now even facing a career. Who knows where I would have gone without good old AHK. (Which I still use for a lot of prototypes, even if most final implementations are done in C++, JAVA or VB later)
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
joedf

02 Aug 2018, 13:00

Alibaba! HEY! WELCOME BACK after like 2+ yrs! ahaha :mrgreen: :dance: :D
nnnik

02 Aug 2018, 13:35

Welcome back
Recommends AHK Studio
Alibaba

02 Aug 2018, 15:12

Thank you guys!
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine

Return to “About This Community”