Forum Tasks Input and help desired

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
tank

Forum Tasks Input and help desired

30 Sep 2013, 08:22

I could never have imagined the receptive and supportive response I have received. Sincerely Thank you all!!!

I must admit that while my expertise in web design and server administration is robust, I am one man. I need you all.
Already i am receiving can you add this feature or that feature. Keep them comming. I may ask for a canned method to add it but as an example I will be adding Spoilers because a complete canned MOD exists on the PHPBB site Thanks Menixator !!

This new site will not work without transparency.
  • SKAN
  • Lexikos
  • Alibaba
  • tidbit
  • HotKeyIt
  • Drainx1
  • Zaelia
these fellows are your current forum MODS
PLEASE I need feedback on additional MODS. As mods I know of join I will promote them.

If ever there is a need for it i can be contacted at Google+ or via PM. I am committed to responding within 48 hours. I will be hosting a google hangout session everyday this week between 10 AM Eastern time (-5) till 10:30 am or longer if the discussion gets good to talk about our future

old forum content
I am downloading the content Zaelia collected from the old forum. I will do my darndest to provide it in a searchable format to all.

I am going to also see if there is any negotiating with Polythene for a DB dump of the forum. but lets all for a moment that it takes me a while to get the content available that Zaelia collected. I need your patience or help. anyone can download it as well and work the problem of how to best provide it up to and including writing a php script to parse the files into mysql tables for PHPBB3. If anyone wants to try please contact me.

Content
We will need more than one Site editor but for now;
I will also have need of basic HTML editors. All are invited. I am going to import the existing tutorial and other documentation pages today. There will be content that has been for years needing to be updated. example would be references to Sean's now lost forever COM.AHK Simply make a copy of the page source and attach the correction to a PM and to me. I am going to use the edits to help me determine who should and shouldn't be able to have FTP access to the site pages in the future. I will be looking for HTML comments detailing why the change was made and how you determined what the correction should be. Eventually, I think we should move into a world where the documentation also has user comments like php.net

this team needs at least one more experienced PHP MySQL developer. If that is you or if you have the skill and lack the experience and want to intern let me know.

Lets limit this thread to Content and website plans. the Foundation discussion will continue in its original thread.

If i failed to mention it please ask
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Alibaba

Re: Forum Tasks Input and help desired

30 Sep 2013, 10:55

I am currently working on a simple php script that will be able to search the forum content Zaelia has downloaded.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
Zelio

30 Sep 2013, 11:09

You can update content if you change "i := where_I_was-1" before the loop, script in directory and per section use the sorted by date so if you target the last-1 page you will download the most current.

Very good idea about comment on documentation, it seems hard to implement it :( that will replace some suggestion thread and a little administration

If we can't recreate a database or a efficient search engine they are an ultimate solve: A very horrible and brute force is to post here one archived page per thread (but text formated, just need script and comment, have to parse for discard html) in a archive section, that will create a database avaible for this current search engine forum... (but I guess that will take a lot of time and lag the forum for some hours or days)
Eedis

30 Sep 2013, 11:23

For any reason, keep the simplistic look of this forum. I've always preferred the layout on the first forum than the previous one.

As for mods and admins, I do believe that there should be multiple admins with server level access, but I also believe they shouldn't really take part in much forum affairs; banning users, spam, moving posts. These tasks should be left to the moderators. There should be a lead moderator to settle any disputes that may arrive amongst banning users or such (though I don't see this ever happening). The moderator list should be left rather small, in my opinion, we had way too many mods on the old forum. There should be at least 2 mods per forum, maybe 3-4 for the Support forum. These mods should be dedicated to taking care of their respective forums.

As per server space, I still have an expansive server available that I do not pay for and is completely free; as it is a private onsite server ran by a close friend. If server cost gets too high for you tank, let it be known that this is still an option as it is free and there will be an extremely compenant and motivated man with constant physical access to keep the server up to date and properly maintained. He is also offering many other features, encryption, SSL, routine backups, and even a mail server and voip server for private conference calls for meetings amongst the new board members.

My two cents.
Science is not about answering questions; it's about finding new questions to ask.
tank

30 Sep 2013, 11:40

i want to build in the idea of multiple backup points.
SSL for free? that sounds almost too good to be true
from an ideal infrastructure standpoint
it would be ideal to have
  • Incremental offsite Backups as cron jobs
  • SSL
  • Failover envirionment
  • 3 teir config Separate application server from db server.. I have this now
  • Dedicated server
  • Monitors and alerts. Typical for Production sites
    • DDOS detection
    • Hardware monitor and failure notification
  • Physical security
  • github repository for site code
  • third party periodic Pen testing
Normally these can get expensive.

Alas Physical server location is a factor also
a french based host could be good for Germany and slow for west coast americans.

I would suggest 8 processor cores and 64 GB memory for the web server and db server to be ideal.

How close can we come to that with your friend
Check Out WebWriter
Eedis

30 Sep 2013, 13:00

I am not sure on specifics. Where are you located geographically speaking? He has a conference number that we can set up a conference call to discuss it more personally with him as I'm not as server savvy. SSL isn't free, I apologize for not specifying was just mentioning it. Give me a good time and we could have a meeting.
Science is not about answering questions; it's about finding new questions to ask.
tank

30 Sep 2013, 14:59

I am in southern Indiana in the USA
so eastern time -5 GMT
I am off work this week so let me know about time of day that works out
Check Out WebWriter
Eedis

30 Sep 2013, 17:18

Hoosier myself, born and raised. ;)

I'll talk with my friend and set up a time, I'll let you know. Do you have a phone number I could text in case you don't get the message on this forum quickly enough? Or you can just text me, I gave you my number in PM.
gwarble

30 Sep 2013, 19:55

Has anyone talked to sumon?
When this happened last year, and a new forum (for discussion, not as a replacement forum like this) was created, i believe a database dump possibly existed... Don't know how/if it will help being old now, but keep in mind that i've seen at least some of the old content is now missing over the last year... So neither might be complete

I'd also like to offer to help in some way, not sure how as i'm not experienced with any of this forum admin stuff, but open to some grunt work or something so let me know how i can help
EitherMouse - Multiple mice, individual settings . . . . www.EitherMouse.com . . . . forum . . . .
tank

30 Sep 2013, 20:45

I am actually going to reach out tomorrow I have his in formation
Check Out WebWriter
nnnik

01 Oct 2013, 00:00

I think I can do some simple tasks.
Recommends AHK Studio
maphew

01 Oct 2013, 01:53

tank wrote: ...determine who should and shouldn't be able to have FTP access to the site pages in the future
I'd look into put the site pages on http://pages.github.com/. Hosting is free, with many tools to easily push to live from source control, and it leverages the full distributed version control of GitHub itself, which means user account control and passwords etc. etc. are not your headache, and virtually guarantees the contents will never again be lost or isolated. Create a Github organization and then all you need to do is define the roles and who's in them.

(note: I'm a mercurial fan over git myself, but GitHub has done so many awesome things for open source and their communities I just can't stay away from it ;-)
SKAN

01 Oct 2013, 03:44

gwarble wrote:Has anyone talked to sumon?
I had mailed him yesterday and just got the following reply.
Blocked for security reasons in my browser? Might check it out later... :)
My Scripts and Functions: V1  V2
tank

01 Oct 2013, 08:40

I have him in my google+ contacts and have sent him a message. I will let you all know when and iff i hear from him. If i recall correctly he was exactly the kind of Site admin we needed. he wanted the community to drive his efforts and he wanted to be involved. If he accepts i am prepared to stay out of his way and let him support further work. I can focus on the bigger tasks of negotiating us into a better hardware configuration, backups, and possibly SSL.
Check Out WebWriter
MasterFocus

01 Oct 2013, 10:09

Reporting in. I've just joined.
(tank, sorry for sending you a quick PM without fully reading this thread :oops: )

Good to know the "old" content is being collected as a backup. Having all that information gone would be a disaster.

EDIT:
[1] Guys, what about the IRC channel?
[2] If Poly is willing to hand things over nicely, I volunteer to hold temporary
admin access to the Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/AutoHotkey
(I'm just a moderator there as well)
Antonio França - git.io | github.com | ahk4.net | sites.google.com
Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.
Need help? Please post on the forum before sending me a PM.
ChalamiuS

01 Oct 2013, 13:46

MasterFocus wrote: [1] Guys, what about the IRC channel?
As it is now poly is the sole founder of the #ahk channel.
#ahk-offtopic and #ahk-gaming (as well as #ahk-ops) is under control of the ordinary IRC moderating team though (#ahk-social, the unofficial offtopic channel has camerb and poly as founders).
Also, it seems(?) #auto-hotkey might be a candidate as a replacement for #ahk in case things end up going badly.
kookster

01 Oct 2013, 15:52

I think I will just join those channels just in case.
sumon

01 Oct 2013, 16:35

tank wrote:I have him in my google+ contacts and have sent him a message. I will let you all know when and iff i hear from him. If i recall correctly he was exactly the kind of Site admin we needed. he wanted the community to drive his efforts and he wanted to be involved. If he accepts i am prepared to stay out of his way and let him support further work. I can focus on the bigger tasks of negotiating us into a better hardware configuration, backups, and possibly SSL.
Reportin' in!

Maybe I was, but I am in no way, shape or form the site admin that you need today. I am currently not engaged in more IT than a few side projects, and in fact I don't even have an internet landline, solid desktop or laptop right now (surfing off my mobile data provider with my 5 years old laptop). But I'll keep an eye open on what's going on, and maybe I can even help on a corner.

Oh, and as for database dump, I don't think I ever had one of those. I only ever had brief (and limited, as far as I can recall) FTP access.
Alibaba

01 Oct 2013, 16:47

Ok, my computer is now parsing the whole content that i got from Zaelia, with a script.
It restructures it completely, makes it readable (by adding some css and html again), restores the unicode characters and changes all static "autohotkey.com/board/..." links to relative links, thus it's possible to navigate between the archived threads.

Because of the huge amount of data it will take some time...

It also creates a list of all topics in this format:

Code: Select all

Topic ID | Category/Forum | Topic creation date | Topic creation time | Posted by user
It's not a database, but maybe it will give a nice pattern and make it easier to integrate as many topics into this forum as possible.

Btw, @ Zaelia: i noticed that in your copy is no "gaming support" folder in the german section. Maybe we can add it later.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
BamBam4275

02 Oct 2013, 01:23

any word on irc channel info? Also a g+ page and maybe a hangout might be a good thing to much easier to join from anywhere any device easily :-D

Return to “About This Community”