Sample Code Licensing

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
Eidola

Sample Code Licensing

29 Aug 2016, 04:26

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask a quick question before bed about sample code posted here on AutoHotkey.com

I am in the process of converting a project from AHK v1.0 to AHK v1.1, utilising classes and all the good stuff that comes along with that.

Of course, I've managed to get myself stuck from time-to-time, but nothing a judicious use of Google hasn't been able to solve. Well I did get stuck once and made a post, but that problem taught me to never name anything 'base', no matter the capitalisation ;)

As I've worked on my project I have encountered and used sources from others, I have kept links to the original source as well as the license, if available, it was released under. However, what license does sample code people post here on the forums fall under? I have 4 links to sample code from AutoHotkey.com, and the only thing I can put under License is "Unknown"? Does the forums have a blanket policy for this type of code, or do I need to contact each poster?

I do plan to release my code as well, hopefully for others to play around with. I have a nice ADODB object that works well with my Postgres database, though I need to work on some more features, like argument placeholders and such, but it works well enough for now. I am also just about to start objectifying the GDI+ library written by tic and friends, with MasterFocus' image search added in.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide on this subject... once I have more to show than a bunch of base classes, or if I get stuck and need more help, I will post again! :)

Whoops, this was supposed to be under "Ask for Help", but I guess "About the Community" is also apropos! ;) Night all!
joedf

Re: Sample Code Licensing

29 Aug 2016, 07:51

Usually what is done, is to simply put a comment that mentions the author with a link to the original post. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Eidola

29 Aug 2016, 10:20

Yes, that is what I have done... and always will do! :)

I just wanted to be sure all my code was compliant with whatever license people gave. I just didn't know if there was a blanket license set by the forums admins for when people posted code samples or not.

I figured it was better to ask than not! Thank you for your reply! :)

29 Aug 2016, 11:18

Older similar discussion:
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/6105 ... ng-option/

As you long as you give credit you should be OK, only if you would make a business out of it I would be very careful to use unlicensed code, but people post code on the forum to share it :-)
Eidola

30 Aug 2016, 00:31

Oh, I would never do anything commercial without vetting all my sources carefully! :)

I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due and I do my best to track the original author, and any associated website addresses, and if possible the licensing terms of the source code I may be using! :)

I plan to release my project at some point, hopefully some of the components will make nice standalone objects other people could re-use... and maybe some people may find the system itself of interest.

Even if not, I am having a ton of fun learning a class-based approach to AHK... so far things are coming along very well! :)

Thanks for your post and for that link, it was an... interesting, read! ;)
joedf

31 Aug 2016, 14:37

Seeing you made the gesture of opening this thread, I trust that you'll do just fine. :+1: ;)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “About This Community”