Book: Practical AutoHotkey; useful for new users? link to it from website footer?

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
TheNickMay

Book: Practical AutoHotkey; useful for new users? link to it from website footer?

28 Mar 2017, 10:53

Hello,

I recently published a book that users new to AutoHotkey may find useful.

I'm happy to provide a copy for review to the admins, and was wondering if it would be possible to get it mentioned on the AutoHotkey website (perhaps in the footer, near Jack Dunning's work?) as a basic hand-holding resource for new users?

Thank you for taking a look,
Nick May
Last edited by just me on 01 Apr 2017, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertisement.
joedf

Re: Book: Practical AutoHotkey; useful for new users? link to it from website footer?

30 Mar 2017, 22:59

Intriguing... Please send me a copy for review first (email preferably). I will then most probably mention this. ;)
I will not share this unless you give explicit authorization.
If you are sending a file, please use joedf [at(@)] live [dot.] ca
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
just me

Re: Book: Practical AutoHotkey; useful for new users? link to it from website footer?

31 Mar 2017, 02:45

IMO, the link in the OP is advertisement "Buy Practical AutoHotkey on Amazon.com" and should not be included within a forum thread. But feel free to mention it on the homepage.
joedf

01 Apr 2017, 08:40

I understand the predicament... It's likely worth a mention. I want to see it though, make sure what kind of material is in there :b
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

01 Apr 2017, 12:52

just me wrote:IMO, the link in the OP is advertisement "Buy Practical AutoHotkey on Amazon.com" and should not be included within a forum thread. But feel free to mention it on the homepage.
Any reasons for that opinion?
Recommends AHK Studio
just me

01 Apr 2017, 15:58

Reason:
"Buy Practical AutoHotkey on Amazon.com"
Did you follow the link? :roll:
nnnik

02 Apr 2017, 02:18

just me wrote:Reason:
"Buy Practical AutoHotkey on Amazon.com"
Did you follow the link? :roll:
Yeah it's a link for buying a book about AutoHotkey. It is nothing unrelated. Towards me it's an "other ressource" - where other paid .
And no I didn't follow the link ( Or I followed it and don't remember what exactly was there ).
Recommends AHK Studio
just me

02 Apr 2017, 04:17

I don't see any difference between 'buy my book' and 'buy my CS:GO script". The members of the AutoHotkey Foundation have to decide whether and where such a link will be placed. As a result of our last discussion I think that the forums are not the appropriate place for $$$ links.

Also, in times of Google everybody interested in buying a book about AHK will find it.
joedf

02 Apr 2017, 06:20

What just me did is perfectly fine.
This topic is simply here to decide if this should be mentioned in the resources of the home page.
nnnik

04 Apr 2017, 08:34

joedf wrote:What just me did is perfectly fine.
This topic is simply here to decide if this should be mentioned in the resources of the home page.
I don't disagree.
[quote="just me"I don't see any difference between 'buy my book' and 'buy my CS:GO script".[/quote]
nnnik wrote:Yeah it's a link for buying a book about AutoHotkey. It is nothing unrelated. Towards me it's an "other ressource" - where other paid programs and ressources are.
The difference is that distributing a book costs money ( printing and all that stuff ( I can't tell whether it is an e-Book or not ) ). Where as distributing a script from this site only costs us money ( hosting etc. ). A book with the goal set to teach AutoHotkey is a totally different thing then a already working AutoHotkey script which doesn't amount to anything at all.
Recommends AHK Studio
Exaskryz

04 Apr 2017, 15:33

Just throwing it out there if referral links can be done to share a little bit of proceeds to the AHK Foundation in return for hosting on the main site or in forums? It sort of sets a bit of a sticky precedent if other people say they're willing to pay for their CS:GO scripts being shared on here though...
joedf

04 Apr 2017, 23:55

We all want to promote and share AHK...
The means is however... That's another story. :/
nnnik

05 Apr 2017, 00:14

Exaskryz wrote:Just throwing it out there if referral links can be done to share a little bit of proceeds to the AHK Foundation in return for hosting on the main site or in forums? It sort of sets a bit of a sticky precedent if other people say they're willing to pay for their CS:GO scripts being shared on here though...
No that's impossible for us due to some rules involving the AHK foundation - I think
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

05 Apr 2017, 10:19

Yes-ish :b
Everything is looking good for the book so far.
I'll be putting up a link in resources sometime next week.
TheNickMay

11 Apr 2017, 13:57

Thank you for linking to the book; I hope it brings AutoHotkey to more people who can benefit from it.
tank

16 Apr 2017, 12:25

we cant post links to paid autohotkey products. this would violate my commitment to keep this site free. I realize its kind of a gray area but its advertising a paid product. which constitutes as an endorsement.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
guest3456

16 Apr 2017, 12:30

^exactly. you are giving free advertising and promotion

joedf

16 Apr 2017, 15:49

... :/
Do I remove it now, or what? it is a grey area. I had it up since there seemed to be no decisive position. :/
tank

19 Apr 2017, 15:57

I think you know the answer. if it is a paid product we cant advertise/endorse it. That is not keeping AutoHotkey free
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “About This Community”