[Poll] Official Discord server

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website

Should we have an official Discord server?

Poll ended at 23 May 2017, 11:22

Yes!
55%
No.
15%
I don't care.
25%
(Other, post in comments)
5%

Total votes: 20
runie

[Poll] Official Discord server

02 May 2017, 11:22

Hi.

For well over a year, we've had an unofficial discord server. It's been mostly abandoned but recently we added the discord invite link to the stickied Ask For Help thread.
As a result there's activity in the channel and we have people coming in for help daily, currently more than in the IRC.

So I'm proposing a vote on making this the official Discord server for AHK.

We have Discord roles for forum admins and mods. Join the server and we'll add you to your role. It would be awesome having more forum staff in the server.
It's an excellent place to hang out, chat and help out new people, so join us!

I'm not calling it a replacement for the IRC channel(s). The fact is very many people use/have discord so it's easy to reach. Many also appreciate the modernistic features.

Invite link: https://discord.gg/0eAZhRs7dgWmObae
I recommend downloading the client: https://discordapp.com/

Vote will remain open for three weeks.

o/
RUNIE
Last edited by runie on 05 May 2017, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
tidbit

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

02 May 2017, 11:23

I'm going to hate on you and say that IRC is better. (jk)
Spoiler
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
guest3456

02 May 2017, 11:29

fk discord

long live IRC

Capn Odin

05 May 2017, 05:53

If ahk can have another outlet let it, however I am slightly opposed to having an official outlet that can be closed by a single user, not that this is impossible with the forum.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
nnnik

05 May 2017, 06:37

Well it is possible for every outlet we have - and probably is going to be possible for every new outlet we gain.
Recommends AHK Studio
tidbit

05 May 2017, 10:33

also, Rune didn't create the discord, tomoe did. so she might still be hidden admin or something (probably not). or the account might be tied tied to her name (not sure). so there's (probably) 2 people incharge of the place. but I guess either one of them could delete it. but as mentioned, that can happen to the forum too. and both IRC channels. and pretty much any website or business. kinda seems like a weird thing to worry about when it can happen to nearly everything.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
runie

05 May 2017, 10:55

tidbit wrote:also, Rune didn't create the discord, tomoe did. so she might still be hidden admin or something (probably not). or the account might be tied tied to her name (not sure). so there's (probably) 2 people incharge of the place. but I guess either one of them could delete it. but as mentioned, that can happen to the forum too. and both IRC channels. and pretty much any website or business. kinda seems like a weird thing to worry about when it can happen to nearly everything.
Yes, tomoe is server owner/creator. Only she has the ability to delete the server (not that she will/wants to.)
I have admin status and do moderation, I can't edit the admin role or do drastic stuff like delete the channel.

But again, it's a kinda pointless to discuss because as said, nearly everything has a "single point of failure".
just me

05 May 2017, 11:08

I'm not interested in both. I think that one 'official' chat channel is enough. And I'm strictly against the use of chat channels as a replacement / bypassing for the 'official' support forums.
runie

05 May 2017, 11:22

just me wrote:I'm not interested in both. I think that one 'official' chat channel is enough. And I'm strictly against the use of chat channels as a replacement / bypassing for the 'official' support forums.
I respect this opinion. However, I think it is flawed.

In my eyes, the discord is not a replacement for neither the IRC or the forums. The main intention is to have a place for the community to chat. If someone comes by with an issue, of course we will try to help. But the discord (or the IRC for that matter) is not created and maintained solely to be a live support platform.

Support has it's place on the forums, where questions and answers are stored and people can later look them up.
nnnik

05 May 2017, 12:38

I think that we as a community should always work on expanding ourselves and reach new members.
Not every member and every question/problem fits into this forum. Sometimes the solution to that is just switching channels.
Of course it is better when the knowledge accumulates in a place and in a way where everyone can easily access it - however the forums are just a means to that end.
Recommends AHK Studio
just me

05 May 2017, 16:24

@Run1e: You removed the part of the OP my answer relates to. Why?

@nnnik: I'm talking about AHK scripting related questions. I cannot imagine any which wouldn't 'fit into this forum', except a violation of forum rules.
nnnik

05 May 2017, 16:39

The most common case is that someone is working on a larger project and needs some help with code design or some basic know hows on how to work with a certain API.
These are often minor and very specific questions but come in larger quantity. You don't want to make a post for every ingle one and then wait for hours for a response - it just breaks the flow, you can't work like that.
The second thing, would be newbies, that are not yet able to completely formulate a question in the Ask for Help forum in a way that invites answers.
Lastly there are people working together on projects. Sometimes you just need to discuss things - having an official channel for that sure helps.
Recommends AHK Studio
runie

05 May 2017, 17:01

just me wrote:@Run1e: You removed the part of the OP my answer relates to. Why?
I didn't remove anything, I changed one word. Specifically "official discord channel" to "official discord server". Someone pointed it out to me and I changed it.
Either you misunderstood something or I formulated something badly. Please clarify what you thought I removed.
just me wrote:@nnnik: I'm talking about AHK scripting related questions. I cannot imagine any which wouldn't 'fit into this forum', except a violation of forum rules.
I think the more important part is to focus on that some people simply don't like forums and prefer being in a chat room talking to people in real time. Why not have that option open to them if people are willing to help?

@nnnik: Excellent points, I agree with all of them.
joedf

10 May 2017, 10:35

The more user involvement, the better. If this promotes AHK, then why not? :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
runie

26 May 2017, 12:16

So the vote ended with more than half voting yes (and only 15% being directly against it.)

Could we hear what tank and the staff thinks?
joedf

26 May 2017, 17:31

I said yes, but I don't see how "official" it can be. I don't see why not, or why tank would disagree with this. :/
I can mention it on the homepage. Do i or tank have admin access to this?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

26 May 2017, 18:13

The IRC Channel link at the top should be renamed to: IRC/Discord Channels
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

26 May 2017, 18:50

I can do that. What do I link it to?
runie

26 May 2017, 23:56

As I understand it, the amount of items in the navbar is held down because of trying to make the navbar look good on smaller screens/mobile devices.
So what I suggest is we rename "IRC Channel" to something else and make it a dropdown (like 'Members') and give it the following items:
Crucial information about the IRC is provided in the Ask For Help thread. However when a new user joins the Discord server, they get messaged by a bot telling them to read the rules and tips we have on the server. Therefore linking the Discord item to the Ask For Help thread is unnecessary, as all information new users needs are given on the server. For the curious, here is what the user is told to read upon joining.

Either that or create separate items for IRC and Discord, it wouldn't really take up that much space in the navbar.
joedf

27 May 2017, 11:06

Very true. I was thinking something much simpler. Something like Chat which links to a locked thread proving links to discord, irc, etc. Either way, on the mobile the theme automatically makes a drop down.

Return to “About This Community”