[Poll] Official Discord server

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website

Should we have an official Discord server?

Poll ended at 23 May 2017, 11:22

Yes!
55%
No.
15%
I don't care.
25%
(Other, post in comments)
5%

Total votes: 20
runie

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 May 2017, 12:05

Whatever you see fit. However I think it would be best with a direct link to the Discord invite.
joedf

27 May 2017, 12:32

Hmmm... that's good too. I forgot about it being connected to irc haha. Okay, you're right haha :b
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

27 Jun 2017, 12:42

Discord become very popular recently and in many places replaces irc.
Discord for ahk is very good idea :)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
nnnik

27 Jun 2017, 13:34

Well yeah our Discord channel is now very popular. It should be as large as the IRC by now
Recommends AHK Studio
runie

27 Jun 2017, 14:05

nnnik wrote:Well yeah our Discord channel is now very popular. It should be as large as the IRC by now
Yeah there's more activity in the Discord channel than in the IRC now.
Capn Odin

27 Jun 2017, 15:47

It is kind of cheating, since the IRC is scraped to the discord server.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
joedf

27 Jun 2017, 18:48

I guess you're right haha
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

28 Jun 2017, 00:24

Yeah but there is less activity in the IRC than in the main Discord chat.
We didn't consider the irc channel to be part of that statistic at all.
In fact I think tht would only add to the irc channels activity.
Recommends AHK Studio
anros1

13 Dec 2017, 07:39

Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
BoBo

13 Dec 2017, 08:50

anros1 wrote:Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
It might make sense to get in touch with Runie via PM as he seems to be the administrator of the above mentioned Discord-server.
Delta Pythagorean

13 Dec 2017, 09:30

BoBo wrote:
It might make sense to get in touch with Runie via PM as he seems to be the administrator of the above mentioned Discord-server.
I might be also of some help. I have created my own bot, DelBot, to help me and to have fun. I may not be the best at python, but I am willing to help with just about anything you need.

[AHK]......: v2.0.6 | 64-bit
[OS].......: Windows 11 | 22H2 (OS Build: 22621.1555)
[GITHUB]...: github.com/DelPyth
[PAYPAL]...: paypal.me/DelPyth
[DISCORD]..: tophatcat

You should consider migrating to v2. Practice with small features first such as learning how to do Guis!
Remember to use [code] ... [/code] for your multi-line scripts for the forums.
BoBo

13 Dec 2017, 12:14

Delta Pythagorean wrote:
BoBo wrote:
I might be also of some help. I have created my own bot, DelBot, to help me and to have fun. I may not be the best at python, but I am willing to help with just about anything you need.
Gotcha! :o (So be aware that I think about to PM you for a challenging python <> AHK conversion as well :shh: 8-) )
aqua_flare

12 Apr 2020, 03:06

I missed this vote however I am against this concept as I have experienced in this discord a sense of elitism out of the community and the active dismissal of issues that are common without pinning solutions to them. Even if archived answers are maybe out of date at least they are provided and found and can be reposed and discussed again. With this discord they are snooty and the log is filled with new users being ignored while questions and answers are running hours later by people who know the answer but instead make snob unhelpful remarks.

:terms: :terms: :terms: :terms: :terms:

PS: I made an account just to make it clear; a discord like this turns people away from the program.
nnnik

12 Apr 2020, 04:24

As explanation:
Its against the Discord TOS to inform publish or share software that is "Botting, Auto" or similar (not a direct quote but from memory).
Essentially this is to prevent sharing programs used to cheat in games.
So the discord server doesnt answer question related to games, thats pretty much all we have to do to comply with TOS according to Discord.
I imagine that the person above got turned away because they asked for a cheat script.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

12 Apr 2020, 19:06

@aqua_flare
Hi there, I am very sorry for any injustice you feel you may have received. I do not really use the Discord AHK server, but if you do find any unfairness or misconduct on the forums please send a PM to the staff or myself.

Otherwise, please refer to @RUNIE or @nnnik. I trust that they are capable and understanding. :+1:
runie

17 Apr 2020, 10:43

aqua_flare wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 03:06
I missed this vote however I am against this concept as I have experienced in this discord a sense of elitism out of the community and the active dismissal of issues that are common without pinning solutions to them. Even if archived answers are maybe out of date at least they are provided and found and can be reposed and discussed again. With this discord they are snooty and the log is filled with new users being ignored while questions and answers are running hours later by people who know the answer but instead make snob unhelpful remarks.

:terms: :terms: :terms: :terms: :terms:

PS: I made an account just to make it clear; a discord like this turns people away from the program.
We don't "pin solutions". If you need to search through previously solved issues, use the forums. A chat room inherently isn't designed for what you're describing.
We always welcome ideas for improving the server. So why haven't you suggested this in our suggestions channel instead of coming here to complain?

You also seem to think we work for you - we don't, and neither do the helpful people on this forum. Don't be salty because no one wanted to help with your issue.
kyuuuri

20 Apr 2020, 15:58

The problem with discord is that it's easier for users to complain and cry about people not helping them or people not posting the exact code they need.
These kind of people are the ones that ask things like "Hello <paste 50 lines script here> doesn't work help me please".
I don't mind helping people, but I hate helping that kind of user (I mean the ones that expect help without reading and complain when someone gives them a link to the docs instead of rewriting their code for them). There is a lot of these users because of how noob-friendly ahk is.

That's why you will get A LOT of people wasting your time with reports like these.

There is A LOT of helpful people on Discord. For example I was trying to implement RSA for months and a user came and made the entire script for me because I showed everything I tried and couldn't make it work. This person even helped me afterwards when I encountered bugs, he even set up a VM to test it on w7!

With this said, I think the discord server is necessary because it reduces the questions posted on the forum that could be easily solved if people actually read the docs.
runie

20 Apr 2020, 16:50

Locking this thread as the poll has been over for years.

Return to “About This Community”