pinned thank you page

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
jeeswg

pinned thank you page

28 Jun 2017, 17:44

I thought it might be good to have a pinned thank you page (thread). I think a lot of people look for it when they go on the forum, but there isn't one (yet). Anyway I want to post an amusing short thank you 'song' based on an existing song, but there isn't a thread to post it in, and I don't know if I want to start the ten zillionth 'thank you' thread. Thanks.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

Re: pinned thank you page

28 Jun 2017, 19:27

Although the gratitude is all well appreciated by any of us, I believe such as a pinned topic is not necessary. However, if you do believe we need one please go ahead and justify. I am not against this at all. Just wondering at the possiblities. :think: :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

28 Jun 2017, 19:42

Erm, justify, erm.

[EDIT:] I was prompted to consider this by a post I saw in 'New posts', which I then struggled to find again, and I thought, what would I say if I said thank you ...

My one and only objection to the idea is that it might seem a bit big-headed, that we anticipate being thanked.

I think it's a nice idea, a bit like a guestbook. Perhaps it would be better to call it that, that way praise is not necessitated.

If the only reason I don't say thanks, is because I don't want to clog up this forum with more new thank you threads, then quite likely others feel the same. I think this forum is already getting a bit clogged re. this.

I sort of thought maybe there was a 'thank you' thread already, or at least, occasionally, people have jumped onto or necroposted on existing 'thank you' threads.

There are quite of a lot of these threads, so posts/comments are hard to find a second time.

Posts like 'what's on your mind' are quite entertaining. Although for a huge 'thank you' list, it might be one of the most, if not the most, entertaining/interesting threads on the AHK forum.

Anything positive or uplifting or motivating, is generally a good thing.

It's a good option for people who are new to the forum, who want to write a first post.

It's interesting to hear what people have to say about AutoHotkey.

If a main thank you thread existed, you would need to be able to find it, so it would have to be pinned, or linked to somehow.

[EDIT:] At least, if the thread wasn't pinned, the word 'guestbook' and also, an official introduction sanctioned by the forum team, (a little official hello,) at the top of the thread, would make it memorable enough, that perhaps it could survive and thrive without being pinned. Although also, regular posts on the thread, might make it appear on the forum front page, as the last page in that forum to be posted to, making it easy to find, but then also, a candidate for being pinned, so that it didn't hog the spot on the forum front page, as pinned posts are excluded from that spot I believe.

[EDIT:] The 'About This Community' forum doesn't get too much action right now.

[EDIT:] It might encourage some surprise hellos from guests such as old forum members.

Does something like this exist elsewhere for other sites/institutions? If it does then the idea is sound. If it doesn't then it's AHK lighting the way yet again.

[EDIT:] Plus you get my 'song'.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

29 Jun 2017, 07:23

Hmmm, interesting. I guess a "say hello" topic would be great. many forums have it :)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

14 Jul 2017, 15:08

Maybe two topics?
1. Say hello.
2. Impressions of using AutoHotkey (including "Thank you")
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

14 Jul 2017, 17:17

Seems more reasonable... :)
jeeswg

14 Jul 2017, 17:32

Cheers vasili111, you're quite good with forum ideas.
New forum sections proposal. - Page 4 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 60#p140160

Yeah seeing as I didn't want the thread title to include the words 'thank you' in it (presumptuous, but also constraining/restrictive), and since I don't mind whether the word 'guestbook' is actually used or not, those two ideas sound fine. Thanks.
jeeswg

10 Oct 2017, 18:22

@jeeswg: What happened to your thank you 'song'?
Spoiler
jeeswg

31 Oct 2017, 12:36

Guestbook: say hi, thank you, whatever! - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39145

This is going really nicely, @joedf, thanks so much for making my dream (dramatic) a reality.

I'm going to start a new thread to continue this one:

What Was The First Language You Learned? - Programming - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/3061 ... ned/page-1

Unless one already exists. Cheers.

I'll put it in this forum, and use the same thread title:

Other Programming Languages - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=23

Return to “About This Community”