74%
other? please explain and justify
6%

Total votes: 190
tank

autohotkey.com

09 Mar 2015, 09:08

Hello All,

Many of you have strong feelings about the current forum software or the choice of offering the last version of software developed by Chris Mallet before he retired from this effort.
Until now there was no choice in the matter offered. We start a new era of cooperation.

There are a few key changes going forward in how this site and software will be managed and operated. An LLC was created in April as a holding company for the community assets. Chris Mallet was designated with absolute authority to take back over at any point should he desire to do so. Lexikos, JoeDF as well as myself will have managerial power over those assets on a day to day basis. There is a division of duties as follows:
  • Lexikos has agreed to continue primary development of AutoHotkey and the related help files. The help documentation will soon be maintained on github exclusively
  • JoeDF and Tank will maintain the Forum Software at ahkscript.org and autohotkey.com. with input from the community
Polyethene has agreed to work with us by paying for a new server and handle server maintenance.

Forum Admins: Configuration and moderation of topics
  • Lexikos
  • Tank
  • JoeDF
  • Polyethene
  • Alibaba
  • SKAN
  • tidbit
  • HotKeyIt
  • nnnik
  • VxE
  • fincs
  • enguunneer
  • TLM
  • Sumon
  • tic
Moderators: moderate topics and spam removal
  • Drainx1
  • Zelio
  • bigvent
  • ChalamiuS
  • Seidenweber
  • Jethrow
  • IsNull
  • sinkfaze
  • MasterFocus
  • Bentschi
  • tomoe_uehara
  • jaco0646
  • amnesiac
  • fischgeek
  • Girlgamer
  • corrupt
  • AfterLemon
  • Infogulch
  • Leef_me
  • majkinator
  • MasterFocus
  • PhiLho
  • Run1e
  • Skwire
  • Talisman
  • Toralf
  • Uberi
We are committed to continued support of this community in the spirit of Open Source. Other forks are welcome.

More about AutoHotkey Foundation LLC

What does this mean to me?:

We will make changes slowly over the next couple of months. The first step will be to update the download and documentation to the latest version while still allowing downloads from archives if desired. All web presence will become available under the autohotkey.com Domain

This leaves the question of the forum software. While a great many of us prefer PHPBB , we don't want to make a unilateral decision for the community. So I ask you all to review the poll and respond genuinely.

One thing that will change regardless of forum software is:

Separate sections for alternate languages providing we have trusted moderators for those languages. Not the least will include:
  • German
  • Chinese
  • Spanish
  • Russian
an example of how this will most likely be implemented can be found here

There has been no serious conversation about things like github presence and irc but for now these will remain as is.

Wiki support for user tools will come within the year
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
just me

Re: autohotkey.com

09 Mar 2015, 10:32

Sorry, but after all what happened I don't trust polyethene any more. So I wouldn't move this forum to a server maintained by him. If inevitable, the forum software should not be changed. If the two forums will be reunited, the software should stay phpBB, too, because the IPBoard software as implemented on autohotkey.com is beyond repair for me.

Vote: PHPBB

BTW, are you sure that all admins and mods you listed are still active?
tidbit

09 Mar 2015, 10:48

I will vote phpbb, but I would prefer Other.

Other: Lithium
Examples: http://boards.adultswim.com/ (not anymore) and http://community.skype.com/
excellent for users, very organised, feature-rich and highly customizable. Though, I'm not sure of the price. But you can request a demo (which probably means its expensive, thus my voting of phpbb).
So much customization from colors and layout and polls anywhere and other stuff. I'm not really keen on the "kudos" system, but that would make it a blend of a forum and stackoverflow. good/popular posts get the spotlight. Same with users. maybe that'd encourage people to post good content and in the correct section? Or maybe that can be disabled (The "Featured Topics" in the adultswim link was recently added, so that can be removed if wanted).
The post form is nice too. Clean and feature-rich but still simple.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
Coco

09 Mar 2015, 11:06

Just curious, is IP Boards really that awful or is it just because of lack of proper maintenance/support(at autohotkey.com)?
TLM

09 Mar 2015, 11:09

I have to vote for IPB due to its built in responsive mobile features..
tidbit

09 Mar 2015, 11:15

Coco wrote:Just curious, is IP Boards really that awful or is it just because of lack of proper maintenance/support(at autohotkey.com)?
IMO, IPB is much better. It just depends on the theme. Themes on IPB give the site new features and looks and page layouts. So if we could find one aimed at coding and readability, that'd be awesome. The current Ortem theme is most of a general "social" theme.
the phpbb theme is simple and readable, great for code sharing/helping. Not much clutter and no fancy mouse-over effects and whatnot when hovering over a username or post.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
Coco

09 Mar 2015, 11:29

I'm fine with any software as long as the code boxes work. :) I'm curious to know more about other alternatives though..
geek

09 Mar 2015, 11:31

If we can migrate between forums without breaking formatting in any way, sure. I really dislike all the stray [color] tags everywhere (and other strange formatting issues) on the autohotkey forum
joedf

09 Mar 2015, 15:52

If we upgrade to phpBB 3.1, there are things like native mobile themes from v3.1, Mobbern, flatboots, metro, etc

Additionally, notifications are native to 3.1 :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
guest3456

09 Mar 2015, 21:44

i would've missed this topic if i didn't stumble into this sub forum. perhaps should be stickied globally?
just me wrote:Sorry, but after all what happened I don't trust polyethene any more. So I wouldn't move this forum to a server maintained by him.
+1
GeekDude wrote:If we can migrate between forums without breaking formatting in any way, sure. I really dislike all the stray [color] tags everywhere (and other strange formatting issues) on the autohotkey forum
exactly. those were horrible
Coco wrote:Just curious, is IP Boards really that awful or is it just because of lack of proper maintenance/support(at autohotkey.com)?
good point. i don't think IPB was too bad, but it would require the same maintenance and attention to get it up to speed. here on ahkscript the bugs were fixed promptly. over there, poly just didn't do anything

joedf

09 Mar 2015, 22:10

Topic made global - never-ending
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jballi

10 Mar 2015, 00:49

When it comes to wants and needs of a programming forum, PHPBB beats most hands down. No, it's not flashy or overly sophisticated and it's mobile version needs work, but when it comes to the requirements of a software development community, it is rock solid.

IMHO, now is not the time to switch to a new forum platform. We already went through that rigmarole when this site was created. PHPBB was the clear winner then and by the votes so far, it remains so. We need to focus all of our effort to perform the transition. I use the word "our" recklessly because I have no direct involvement in the transition.

Thank you for your consideration.
vasili111

10 Mar 2015, 09:48

Who will own autohotkey.com domain? AutoHotkey Foundation LLC, Polyethene, or other?
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
tank

10 Mar 2015, 10:30

AutoHotkey Foundation LLC
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
ozzii

10 Mar 2015, 10:36

Don't care but I would like to see the box code.
So the copy/past can be easily done.
TheDewd

10 Mar 2015, 12:02

I have since abandoned the original AutoHotkey.com after the issues with Polyethene, but it would be nice to have the community unified again in one place.

I prefer PHPBB because that's what I'm used to, and it works well for sharing code, but if the same could be achieved on other platforms (better than what currently exists on AutoHotkey.com), I would be willing to try the alternatives.
TLM

10 Mar 2015, 12:17

joedf wrote:If we upgrade to phpBB 3.1, there are things like native mobile themes from v3.1, Mobbern, flatboots, metro, etc

Additionally, notifications are native to 3.1 :)
that sounds good
joedf

10 Mar 2015, 13:11

If phpBB is the verdict, I'll be sure to set that up ASAP
vasili111

10 Mar 2015, 13:28

Current ahkscript.org website and forum are just great and are doing there job perfetcly. Dont invent the wheel.

I think it will best to just transfer all website (main page, forum, etc) of ahkscript.org "as is" to autohotkey.com and make automatic redirection from ahkscript.org to autohotkey.com. Current forum at autohotkey.com make "read only".
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
fincs

10 Mar 2015, 13:44

Repost:
I wrote:My opinion is the following:
  • The current landing page of ahkscript.org should be transferred to autohotkey.com.
  • The old forum (at autohotkey.com) should be locked and kept solely as an archive at archive.autohotkey.com
  • This forum (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at forum.autohotkey.com.
  • The documentation (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at docs.autohotkey.com.
  • The download section (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at dl.autohotkey.com.
  • ahkscript.org should be repurposed as an informational website about the AutoHotkey Foundation.
  • A redirect system should be set in place so that:
    • autohotkey.com/forum, autohotkey.com/community and autohotkey.com/board point to archive.autohotkey.com (after appropriate translation of URLs, which poly seems to have successfully set up).
    • ahkscript.org/boards point to forum.autohotkey.com.
    • ahkscript.org/docs and autohotkey.com/docs point to docs.autohotkey.com.
    • ahkscript.org/download and autohotkey.com/download point to dl.autohotkey.com.
  • The AutoHotkey GitHub organization should be deleted along with the AutoHotkey/AutoHotkey repository, and the ahkscript GitHub organization should be renamed to AutoHotkey (if that's possible).
  • Daily or weekly backups of all the data at the new autohotkey.com should be taken in case any admin decides to kick out all the other admins; so that it is possible to move back to ahkscript.org with little to no data loss.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]

Return to “About This Community”