vasili111

Re: New forum sections proposal.

17 Jun 2016, 23:20

So latest version looks like:
AutoHotkey
Announcements
About This Community

Getting help
Ask for help (General) (now that section is called Ask for help)
Ask for help (Gaming) (now that section is called Gaming and is subsection of Ask for help)
Tutorials
Collaboration (new section)

General
Scripts and Functions (General) (now that section is called Scripts and Functions)
Scripts and Functions (Gaming) (now that section is called Gaming and is subsection of Scripts and Functions)
Partially finished and abandoned scripts (new section)
Script ideas (new section)
AutoHotkey related offtopic (new section)

AutoHotkey development and Forum support
AutoHotkey Bug Reports
AutoHotkey Wish List
AutoHotkey v2 Development
Forum Issues

Other
Other Utilities & Resources
Other Programming Languages
Offtopic (not AutoHotkey related!)

Other languages
Deutsch (German)
中文 (Chinese)
Español (Spanish)
Русский (Russian)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
tank

10 Jul 2016, 11:35

nope to all seems the most popular choice
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
tidbit

10 Jul 2016, 12:44

it wasn't for a while. we've just been slacking on adding the sections and only discussing it, but now it's in the lead. this is why polls should have a time limit :P

but since no one (myself included) was doing anything to add the sections, just being overly picky on the new layout, we might aswell go with the new results and do nothing since we were doing nothing
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
joedf

10 Jul 2016, 23:38

So, we keep the status quo? :0
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

30 Mar 2017, 21:31

I think the direction this is leading to is 'Projects' or 'Collaboration'.

SUMMARY OF CURRENT FORUMS
- Ask For Help: a short-term dialogue.
- Tutorials: a monologue.
- Scripts and Functions: a completed script.
- Offtopic: often a lot of 'not-quite-right-for-the-other-forums' AHK topics. AHK stuff goes there, even though Offtopic should be mostly non-AHK.
- Projects(?): a long-term dialogue, a collaboration, reboot unfinished scripts.

AVOID CLUTTERING THE 'ASK FOR HELP' FORUM
A 'Projects' forum would avoid long-term projects cluttering up the Ask For Help section.

TOPIC PAGES FOR SCRIPT IDEA CATEGORIES (WITHIN COLLABORATION/PROJECTS FORUM)
'Script Ideas', could be big ongoing multiple separate topics in a 'Projects' forum, e.g. 'Projects: GUI', 'Projects: Images', 'Projects: Strings', 'Projects: Windows pre-XP', 'Projects: AutoHotkey Basic', 'Projects: Notepad'. Also: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Windows 8, Windows 10, *MATHEMATICS*, Hacks For AutoHotkey Itself, Custom Sort Filters, interacting with websites e.g. YouTube, Videos, Sounds/Audio. Or you could call these 'Script Ideas: ...' or something else.

TOPIC PAGES FOR SCRIPT IDEAS / ABANDONED SCRIPTS
In a 'Collaboration' forum people could use descriptive 'tags' in topic names, e.g.: '[Script Idea]', '[Abandoned Script]'/'[Old Script]', '[Reboot] Gdip', '[Reboot] Gdip Script Idea', 'Script Idea Based On Gdip_ImageSearch'.

'COLLABORATION'
[EDIT:] I just noticed jballi's suggestion for a 'Collaboration' forum, this is basically the same idea as mine, and I would welcome it. It also coincides with collecting vasili111's three forum ideas into one.

SUBFORUMS V. FORUMS
I have nothing against subforums, it just happens that none of them on the front page particularly interest me: gaming, AutoHotkey_H specific, editors. If a subforum was interesting to me I would visit it.

GAMING
We might need a Collaboration (Gaming) subforum.

AUTOHOTKEY TOPICS WITHIN OFFTOPIC
I think Offtopic *is* the General Chat forum. We could have an AutoHotkey subforum in Offtopic, crazy as it sounds, but on reflection, it seems very sensible, and could be the best solution.

DISABLED USERS
I think evilC's suggestion for a 'Disabled Users' forum/subforum is excellent. I helped with one proposal of this kind, and would gladly spend time contributing anything relevant that I knew. Perhaps we could have a 'Projects: Disabled Users' topic, start with such a topic, and see what comes of it.

FILTERING FORUM POSTS BY CATEGORY
I agree with hoppfrosch that the forum proposals are too vague. To filter them correctly would be impossible. There is not really any objective criteria with which to separate them. There is overlap. Combining them together makes the most sense.

I WOULD HAVE VOTED NO
Btw I had no idea what 'Project Partners' meant, when I read it, but 'Collaboration' essentially describes it. I would have voted 'nope to all', until I understood more about the ideas, the names in isolation may sound a little underwhelming or too specific, but there is great merit in combining everything as a Collaboration forum. An abandoned script should ideally become a non-abandoned script, a project. A script idea should ideally become ... a project. Every vote for one of the three ideas, is a vote for all of the three ideas.

[EDIT:] If a new topic was set up proposing 'Collaboration (and/or Projects)' as one forum idea, and explained it, I'm sure that the results would have been very different. It doesn't surprise me that 'Project partners' came out worst in the poll, the name is meaningless to me, my first instinct was to downvote it, however, if you read the descriptions of the idea, later on, it is in fact the best idea there (essentially a Collaboration/Projects forum).
- The other two ideas, 'Script ideas' and 'Partially finished and abandoned scripts' are a little bit weak in isolation, and are not very precise when it comes to moderators determining what is an appropriate comment for such forums, but combined with 'Project partners', they form a strong cohesive whole.

CONCLUSION
Let's get on with it, and make a Collaboration or Projects forum. Or a 'Collaboration and Projects' forum. It would only take a few good topics to catch on, and it could be a real and immediate triumph.
Last edited by jeeswg on 31 Mar 2017, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
jballi

31 Mar 2017, 19:08

This discussion is almost 2 years old now...

The argument is simple. There is no place for this stuff. It doesn't belong in the Help, Scripts, or Offtopic forums so, let's create a place for it. My idea was for a "Collaboration" forum. I have a handful of projects that I would post there or in one of the similarly-themed forums.

There are lots of votes to make this happen but there are more "nope to all" votes. Not sure why there are so many votes against it but there you have it.
joedf

01 Apr 2017, 09:11

Yeah... :/
Wow... 2yrs already... :o
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

01 Apr 2017, 12:43

jballi wrote:This discussion is almost 2 years old now...

The argument is simple. There is no place for this stuff. It doesn't belong in the Help, Scripts, or Offtopic forums so, let's create a place for it. My idea was for a "Collaboration" forum. I have a handful of projects that I would post there or in one of the similarly-themed forums.

There are lots of votes to make this happen but there are more "nope to all" votes. Not sure why there are so many votes against it but there you have it.
The poll is actually closed already. The nope to all line was lower when the poll closed so the new votes don't matter.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

31 Oct 2017, 12:28

After having had more time to reflect, I don't personally feel the need for a collaboration forum, although there could be a vote on the idea in a new thread, and if there was enough demand, I would be in favour of the idea. E.g. of options: for/against/mildly for/mildly against/neutral/don't know, I would probably vote 'mildly for'.

However, I do think that we need some sort of Offtopic AutoHotkey forum, for things that are AutoHotkey-related that are currently being put in Offtopic, and that aren't appropriate for Ask For Help/Scripts and Functions/Tutorials etc. Something like 'AutoHotkey Miscellaneous'.

Also, I had been thinking that we need a C++ subforum in Other Programming Languages. The AutoHotkey source code is written in C++, as are machine code functions, and in general, advanced but common AutoHotkey stuff is done in C++.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
tidbit

31 Oct 2017, 14:58

jees, I have been suggesting a "General Autohotkey" section for years. like 80% of the things in Offtopic are still AHK related, not offtopic. every forum I have been on has had a General (or w/e they named it) section in the forum related to the product.

it could be in the AHK section with a name like "General Discussion"
or it could be put in the General section (where Offtopic is) and named "AutoHotkey Discussion"
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

31 Oct 2017, 22:52

So what type of discussion would fit that criteria? I didn’t know of this :b
derz00

01 Nov 2017, 07:36

tidbit wrote:like 80% of the things in Offtopic are still AHK related, not offtopic
try it and see
jeeswg

01 Nov 2017, 08:06

'General AutoHotkey' sounds pretty good. Perhaps some examples from other forums would be good to compare, for deciding on a name.

I had a look through Offtopic. Many of the threads actually have 'AutoHotkey' and 'AHK' in the title.

So we could have:
- Offtopic
- Other Programming Languages
- Other Programming Languages\C++ [NEW]
- Offtopic\AutoHotkey General [NEW] [anything AutoHotkey-related that isn't a neat fit for the other AutoHotkey forums] [or this could be a forum in its own right, just underneath 'Editors' on the main forums list]
tidbit

01 Nov 2017, 11:08

joedf, derz00:
OT pages 1 and 2:
Spoiler
the ones with green arrows are topics that may or may not fit in the "General AHK" section. That's 12-19 topics that would be in the "AHK Discussion" (or w/e name it would get) section from just 2 pages.
But most pages are similar. a good number of ahk related stuff on each page in the Offtopic section. "ahk" isn't really "offtopic" in an "ahk forum".

edit:
I even mentioned it in this topic over a year ago xD
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 547#p88547
and 2016 joedf "approved" of the idea at the time :P
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

02 Nov 2017, 12:15

Whooops! You see.. oh man too much to do... Ok ok Alrighty.
I will do this too as I am doing other things on the site this weekend or next week :P
joedf

02 Nov 2017, 12:17

What's the status on "Collaboration/script partners"? I've forgotten about this :/
Under General Chat?
tank

04 Apr 2019, 10:56

We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
jeeswg

04 Apr 2019, 18:35

- I'm not sure what tank was referring to.
- However, I wrote to tank, and if I understood him correctly, he stated that these 3 forums were fine, but that we need tag lines:
Other Programming Languages\C++
Other Programming Languages\ASM
General AutoHotkey
- An idea for General AutoHotkey: 'For anything AutoHotkey-related that doesn't fit anywhere else.' However, tank suggested a tag line that doesn't just say doesn't belong elsewhere.

Return to “About This Community”