maybe
5%

Total votes: 120
vasili111

New forum sections proposal.

09 Apr 2015, 16:32

I think it will be nice to add following new sections to the forum:

1. Script ideas section
In that section people will post there ideas for creating new scripts. There can be several reasons for it:

Case one:
Someone have an idea and is interesting in conceptual level (not just particular question) how to do that or is it even possible or how hard it will be to create it (to evaluate is it possible for him to create that script or not) or just asking other peoples opinion about his idea.

Case two:
We have someone (will name him Bob) who have a good idea of a script but he has not sufficient knowledge to write that script. Bob is going in the Script ideas section of the forum and makes new thread where he describes his idea. In the same time we have other person (will name him Alex) who has necessary knowledge and just wants to code something with AutoHotkey but don't knows what to code. Alex is looking in the Script ideas section, finds Bobs idea, likes it and he is writes that script.

2. Searching a partner for a project or Searching expert for project or some other name for that section

For example, we have person (will name him Bob) that has a good idea that needs knowledge in Math and MCode but Bob has good knowledge of Math and basic knowledge of AutoHotkey (no MCode). He can make thread about his idea in Searching a partner for a project and describe his idea and write what he can do for this project and also write who is he searching (MCode expert in that case). That thread will read Alex which is good in MCode but not as good in Math as Bob and will also like Bobs project. So both Bob and Alex will make that project together.

3. Partially finished and abandoned scripts section
Here people will post scripts that are not finished and in current state are not functional and they need more work to be functional. For example, someone started to write script and he have done 70% of the job but lost interest at that project. That person just posts that script in that section. Someone may find it and thought that it is useful and write remaining 30% part of the script and make it functional.

What you think about it guys? Please post your opinion.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

Re: New forum sections proposal.

09 Apr 2015, 20:17

hmmm nice idea, i am interested in knowing what others think.
i have added the poll.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
geek

09 Apr 2015, 20:21

As I had mentioned to TLM, we could use a tips and tricks section separate from the tutorials forum. Perhaps as a sub-forum?
fischgeek

10 Apr 2015, 08:47

+1 for the tips and tricks.

Also, if these new boards ared passed and implemented, I think we need locked stickys on the top of each that explain (no offense vasili111) in a cleaner/more understandable way. I would be happy to take this on using the existing text as a foundation if everyone is good with that (especially vasili111).

Great ideas btw.
smorgasbord

10 Apr 2015, 09:37

+1 to all ideas above
John ... you working ?
vasili111

10 Apr 2015, 10:16

fischgeek wrote: Also, if these new boards ared passed and implemented, I think we need locked stickys on the top of each that explain (no offense vasili111) in a cleaner/more understandable way. I would be happy to take this on using the existing text as a foundation if everyone is good with that (especially vasili111).
Totally agree with you :)
My english is far from perfect and I think it will be nice if you or anyone else will make that stickies with more gramatically right, clean and more understandable english text.
More on that, I think that names of that sections should be also discussed to clearly represent the ideas behind them. So If anyone have ideas of better section names please suggest them.
vasili111

10 Apr 2015, 12:36

I also like the idea of "Tips and tricks" section. I think it should be section not subsection. What I have seen subsections usually luck popularity compare to sections (I think that it is due to less visibility).
toralf

10 Apr 2015, 13:29

I voted 'nope to all' because the all of these sections would be IMHO 'ask for help' topics.
What would be the benefit of putting them in other sections?
ciao
toralf
toralf

10 Apr 2015, 13:36

GeekDude wrote:...we could use a tips and tricks section separate from the tutorials forum. Perhaps as a sub-forum?
What is the substantial difference? For me tutorials show you how to use a thing by making you aware of issues using tips and tricks.
I see no extra benefit in a section of Tips and Tricks that lists unrelated and unstructured Code Snippets.
If someone takes the effort to compile some of the Tips and Tricks to a theme then it is a tutorial and is really has a benefit that deserves a section.
But maybe you have a different idea of how such a section would be of benefit. I would like to here it.

Just my 2 cents.
ciao
toralf
vasili111

10 Apr 2015, 15:20

toralf wrote:I voted 'nope to all' because the all of these sections would be IMHO 'ask for help' topics.
What would be the benefit of putting them in other sections?
I think it will be interesting to discuss some ideas with other forum members, some people may want to start some new project and need to find other people to make it together, or I am sure that there are plenty of partially finished and abandoned scripts in forum members HDDs that will newer be finished by it original authors but maybe interesting for others. Currently there is no place to discuss all these things. If we put all of this in "Ask for help" section we will get big mess there (just imagine all of this in one section).
vasili111

10 Apr 2015, 15:33

toralf wrote:
GeekDude wrote:...we could use a tips and tricks section separate from the tutorials forum. Perhaps as a sub-forum?
What is the substantial difference? For me tutorials show you how to use a thing by making you aware of issues using tips and tricks.
I see "Tips and tricks" section as a place of posting some interesting snippets or tricks you have found and discuss them with others. In contrast, in "Tutorials" section there are posted tutorials which takes one topic and thoroughly explain it.

toralf wrote:
GeekDude wrote: But maybe you have a different idea of how such a section would be of benefit. I would like to here it.
For me personally, I see it as a place to come from time to time and read some tips and tricks or post them if I find some. Like in newspapers there is a section with small but interesting articles, it is not complete analyses of some topic, just small interesting information with discussion.
fischgeek

10 Apr 2015, 16:36

I, personally would use these. Probably not the looking for partner one, but definitely the other two. I like the idea of the separation.
guest3456

15 Apr 2015, 16:55

toralf wrote:I voted 'nope to all'
me too

vasili111

02 May 2015, 07:23

Please vote and state your opinion :)
cyruz

08 May 2015, 07:53

I support this idea. I think that these categories can improve the interaction between the users. Maybe they will not be used a lot, but they will prove themself useful for some serious talking.
ABCza on the old forum.
My GitHub.
vasili111

14 Jan 2016, 11:10

So what about these sections? Should they be created? Voting is indicating that people want so see them :)
joedf

14 Jan 2016, 11:56

vasili111 wrote:So what about these sections? Should they be created? Voting is indicating that people want so see them :)
Very true, however... I am kind of confused when the vote is split 8 vs 8. :( :facepalm: :oops:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

14 Jan 2016, 12:14

joedf wrote:
vasili111 wrote:So what about these sections? Should they be created? Voting is indicating that people want so see them :)
Very true, however... I am kind of confused when the vote is split 8 vs 8. :( :facepalm: :oops:
You are forgetting that 3 people say maybe. I think maybe ie more OK than NO :D

Now when two forums merged there are enough people to generate content for new sections.
joedf

14 Jan 2016, 15:03

I'll make like so... a "Ideas and Volunteers" with those as sub forums?
tomoe_uehara

14 Jan 2016, 17:21

I only voted to 'Script ideas section'.
For 'Partially finished and abandoned scripts section' maybe a Wiki will be more suited than a Forum, because all people can edit (contribute) to finish/improve/optimize the script(s).

Return to “About This Community”