nope to all
30%
maybe
5%

Total votes: 120
vasili111

Re: New forum sections proposal.

15 Jan 2016, 08:28

joedf wrote:I'll make like so... a "Ideas and Volunteers" with those as sub forums?
Subsections usually are not popular among forum members (less people are using them).
What if we change forum sections like this:
AutoHotkey
Announcements
About This Community

Getting help
Ask for help (General) (now that section is called Ask for help)
Ask for help (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Tutorials
Searching a partner for a project (new section)

AutoHotkey Scripts
Scripts and Functions (General) (now that subsection is called Scripts and Functions)
Scripts and Functions (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Partially finished and abandoned scripts (new section)
Script ideas (new section)

AutoHotkey development and Forum
AutoHotkey Bug Reports
AutoHotkey Wish List
AutoHotkey v2 Development
Forum Issues

Other
Other Utilities & Resources
Other Programming Languages
Offtopic

Other languages
Deutsch (German)
中文 (Chinese)
Español (Spanish)
Русский (Russian)
I think it looks more structured and intuitive this way.
What other people think about this idea or about new sections? More opinions we hear - better results we can have :)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

15 Jan 2016, 10:12

Ok, I see. I want to see some people say something first. :think:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

15 Jan 2016, 10:42

joedf wrote:Ok, I see. I want to see some people say something first. :think:
Sure :)
jballi

16 Jan 2016, 11:18

I was thinking about requesting a new forum the other day. You know, the stuff you think about while in the middle of project and/or while you're in the shower. I came across this post and thought this would be as good a place as any to post it.

Anyway, my idea was for a Collaboration forum. It would be a general purpose forum that could be used to invite others to collaborate with you in one way or another. Whether it would be simply to discuss ideas, i.e. Script Ideas, to get help on a project that you are already in the middle of, something similar to the Partially Finished And Abandoned Scripts idea, or looking for partners or contributors for a new project, i.e. Project Partners. Personally, I would also use it as a place to request short-term beta testers.

The Help forums are supposed to be used as a place to ask for help but it's not really the place for this kinda of stuff. The Scripts forum can be used for some of this stuff but it really should only be used for ready-to-go scripts or libraries.

Them be my thoughts.
joedf

16 Jan 2016, 11:27

I think "Collaboration" forum is a great idea :D
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

16 Jan 2016, 11:48

jballi

The Collaboration section is exactly want i meant by Project Partners. It is place to find other people and together make some script. But I like more your suggested name Collaboration than Project Partners.

Script Ideas is different section, where people are not searching for anyone, they just want to share their idea and discuss it. For example, someone (even person that doesn't knows how to code at all or has not enough skill to write it) will share his idea about his script and some other person can like his idea and write that script. Sometimes some idea "costs" more than actual script. It will be nice to have some place to discuss your ideas with someone else or to find someone others good idea and write script.

Partially Finished And Abandoned Scripts section is a place for scripts that maybe even cannot work and are partially written and are abandoned by initial developer for example because of lost of interest, but need little time to finish it. I think it is better to post that kind of scripts instead of just deleting them.

So updated forum layout should look like:
AutoHotkey
Announcements
About This Community

Getting help
Ask for help (General) (now that section is called Ask for help)
Ask for help (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Tutorials
Collaboration (new section)

AutoHotkey Scripts
Scripts and Functions (General) (now that subsection is called Scripts and Functions)
Scripts and Functions (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Partially finished and abandoned scripts (new section)
Script ideas (new section)

AutoHotkey development and Forum
AutoHotkey Bug Reports
AutoHotkey Wish List
AutoHotkey v2 Development
Forum Issues

Other
Other Utilities & Resources
Other Programming Languages
Offtopic

Other languages
Deutsch (German)
中文 (Chinese)
Español (Spanish)
Русский (Russian)
TheDewd

16 Jan 2016, 17:48

I'm always looking for script ideas. I find myself looking at unanswered posts in the "Ask for Help" section quite a lot. I like to be able to contribute and assist with someone's script, but they are often very simple requests such as "How can I toggle my hotkey", but I would like to work on something more advanced that I can invest myself in...

I do think these could be a sub-section of an existing forum, in the same way that "Ask for Help" has a "Gaming" section, but if everyone is in agreement to move the subsections to their own forum as suggested, I do think they would be used more often. I see a lot of gaming questions that are in the regular "Ask for Help" forum, though mostly from new users that are just looking for a quick fix script to assist in giving them an advantage over other players, so I can't decide if people aren't using the subsections because they don't know about them or if they simply just don't care... So it would remain to be seen if adding a subsection over a new forum category would be the best option.

I think a lot of the forum's top contributors might be against making any drastic changes to the site though... They will be questioning why any of these sections would be needed, and try to justify why the current layout of the sections is good enough... I think that while the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" statement may apply, the forum could always be improved, and the ideas purposed by this thread could be a nice addition.

I welcome this forum addition 100% and voted appropriately. :-)
tidbit

17 Jan 2016, 12:42

I don't mind the layout of vasili111's previous post, I'd welcome it.

However, that does make more work for mods/admins. People /will/ post in the wrong section, probably even more-so than now.

Pretty sure it's as TheDewd mentioned: "... or they simply just don't care".
On IRC, if you join with the recommended webchat link (no need to download anything, it's browser-based), there is a channel topic shown 2 times. One is always visible, and again repeated as the first message when joining the room , with a yellow background to make it stand out (written in all caps with !'s stating NOTICE). Pretty much nobody new reads it. It's jammed in their face 2 times, 1 time is permanent. People just jump into the forum/irc without looking around and post.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
nnnik

17 Jan 2016, 14:04

I have voted for Script Ideas and Partially Finished and abandoned Scripts.
Those 2 made it past the "nope to all line". I think those 2 are the ones that should be added not new ones nobody voted for.
Recommends AHK Studio
vasili111

17 Jan 2016, 14:17

I personally think people are not using subsections because:
1. Most people just don't see it.
2. Some see that in subsection is less activity and because they want to show their question to as much people as possible they post in general section.
3. Also some maybe just do not care.

But anyway, the fact is that curently subsections at autohotkey.com are not working as they should.
vasili111

26 Jan 2016, 11:29

Maybe we just merge Ask for help and Ask for help (Gaming)? But keep separate Scripts and functions andScripts and functions (Gaming). What you think about it?
tidbit

26 Jan 2016, 11:47

No. A lot of people dislike seeing Gaming topics mixed with non-gaming (myself included).
There were many topics about it since forever (getting a Gaming sub-section). Chris never wanted to even though many popular people were sick of seeing game-related questions. Once Chris quit, it was pretty much one of the first things changed. It helps, but not as much as it should.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

26 Jan 2016, 22:04

vasili111 wrote:[...] merge Ask for help and Ask for help (Gaming)? [...]
NEVER!!! :( :cry:
alexau

03 May 2016, 14:14

I'm sure we need it
Keith Urban concert schedule: http://keithurbantourtickets.com/
grant

20 May 2016, 00:42

This is a section that I think I would be visiting far too often ;-)

I am going to echo the thoughts of a few others, in my fear that the "script ideas" is going to be jam packed with requests for game related scripts. I am of the opinion that, there is a widely held perception that AHK is the go-to choice for homemade game hacks and this does more damage than good. If a Script Idea Section can be used to highlight non-gaming ideas for scripts, I think it can do a lot of good for the AHK image.
joedf

20 May 2016, 05:05

Yes I see, it seems the balance or the pro-cons :/
jballi

23 May 2016, 21:10

Hey, when are we going to create a Collaboration or Project Partners forum? I need to post some stuff! :)
tidbit

24 May 2016, 09:57

Was thinking about a General Chat section in the AutoHotkey group, for non-scripts/tutorials/help/bugs. just general ahk related chat.
Most of the things in Offtopic would go there since quite a bit of stuff in that section is AHK related, making it not really offtopic.

offtopic is more like these topics:
  • « What's on your mind? »
    Thank you for the music
    Anime
Not these topics:
  • A Github organisation for ahkscript
    A Trello organisation for ahkscript
    Rosetta Code
    AHK is a *bad* language?
    AutoHotkey User Survey
    Why do you use AHK?
    AutoHotKey and Windows 10
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

24 May 2016, 10:59

I approve of the General Chat. It is a standard in most forums. :+1:
As for Collaboration/script partners, I think I'll just add these 2 when I get back from my trip. As I don't see any downfall or much rejection :)

30 May 2016, 03:22

Just a thought: How about a sub-forum for Pulover's Macro Creator? That thread is getting huge and has a very large number of views - it is probably hard for users to read the 30 pages and find a useful answer.

Return to “About This Community”