30 May 2016, 09:35

Same goes for a lot of other topics.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

Re: New forum sections proposal.

30 May 2016, 17:33

If there are no objections... I don't see why not myself :b
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

02 Jun 2016, 00:41

joedf wrote:I approve of the General Chat. It is a standard in most forums. :+1:
As for Collaboration/script partners, I think I'll just add these 2 when I get back from my trip. As I don't see any downfall or much rejection :)
Nice :) I think "Collaboration" is better name than "Script partners".
What about "Script ideas" and "Partially finished and abandoned scripts"? They have most of the votes.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

03 Jun 2016, 11:00

Hmmm, I realized that "nope to all" has 16... :/
what to do? I don't want to ignore that :0
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

03 Jun 2016, 11:07

can't please everybody.
I'd say Add:
30% want 'Script ideas', that's more than "nope to all". But to respect them, don't add anything else that was poll'd.
A bunch of people want 'Collaboration' type thing even though it wasn't in the initial poll
And then there's mine, a 'General AHK Chat' forum. probably 80+% of Offtopic things are ahk related, not Offtopic.

But where to put these if we do add them? Add even more to the 'AutoHotkey' group? Make an 'General AutoHotkey' group?
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
vasili111

04 Jun 2016, 03:34

joedf wrote:Hmmm, I realized that "nope to all" has 16... :/
what to do? I don't want to ignore that :0
tidbit wrote:can't please everybody.
I'd say Add:
30% want 'Script ideas', that's more than "nope to all". But to respect them, don't add anything else that was poll'd.
I understand "nope to all" like that people are not intend to use that new sections. These new sections are not from everyone and of course will not be as popular as "ask for help" or "Scripts and Functions" sections. But poll shows us that there are ~30-50% people that like these new sections. Not all sections should be for everyone. Most important thing is that poll currently shows that these sections will have ~30-50% users that voted in the poll and I think it is enough.

tidbit wrote:can't please everybody.
A bunch of people want 'Collaboration' type thing even though it wasn't in the initial poll
"Collaboration" section is the same as "Project partners", "'Collaboration" is just better name for that section.

tidbit wrote: And then there's mine, a 'General AHK Chat' forum. probably 80+% of Offtopic things are ahk related, not Offtopic.

But where to put these if we do add them? Add even more to the 'AutoHotkey' group? Make an 'General AutoHotkey' group?
I think we can divide Offtopic to AutoHotkey related and not AutoHotkey related. We can put AutohHotkey related offtopic in "General" category and not Autohotkey related offtopic to "Other" category.

If it is Ok for you, we are left with two versions. In first version "Ask for help" and "Scripts and Functions" related to gamming are forums and in second versions they are subforums.

These two versions look like:

Version 1
AutoHotkey
Announcements
About This Community

Getting help
Ask for help (General) (now that section is called Ask for help)
Ask for help (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Tutorials
Collaboration (new section)

General
Scripts and Functions (General) (now that subsection is called Scripts and Functions)
Scripts and Functions (Gaming) (now that subsection is called Gaming)
Partially finished and abandoned scripts (new section)
Script ideas (new section)
AutoHotkey related offtopic (new section)

AutoHotkey development and Forum support
AutoHotkey Bug Reports
AutoHotkey Wish List
AutoHotkey v2 Development
Forum Issues

Other
Other Utilities & Resources
Other Programming Languages
Offtopic (not AutoHotkey related!)

Other languages
Deutsch (German)
中文 (Chinese)
Español (Spanish)
Русский (Russian)

Version 2
AutoHotkey
Announcements
About This Community

Getting help
Ask for help
Tutorials
Collaboration (new section)

General
Scripts and Functions
Partially finished and abandoned scripts (new section)
Script ideas (new section)
AutoHotkey related offtopic (new section)

AutoHotkey development and Forum support
AutoHotkey Bug Reports
AutoHotkey Wish List
AutoHotkey v2 Development
Forum Issues

Other
Other Utilities & Resources
Other Programming Languages
Offtopic (not AutoHotkey related!)

Other languages
Deutsch (German)
中文 (Chinese)
Español (Spanish)
Русский (Russian)
tidbit

04 Jun 2016, 10:13

I'd say no to v2, yes to v1. We fought for a GAMING section since like 2006, theres been topics about it from the beginner. That one of the first thing we added once Chris stepped down.
So many people, myself included, hate seeing gaming questions and refuse to help them out. flooding the main areas with game questions and scripts would horrible.

... unless you mean "do not allow any gaming questions/scripts" by removing those sections, like in AutoIt, I'd be all for that :D
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
vasili111

04 Jun 2016, 11:14

tidbit wrote:I'd say no to v2, yes to v1. We fought for a GAMING section since like 2006, theres been topics about it from the beginner. That one of the first thing we added once Chris stepped down.
So many people, myself included, hate seeing gaming questions and refuse to help them out. flooding the main areas with game questions and scripts would horrible.
I like version 1 too. I think currently subsections does not works as intended and the only way to improve situation is to transform gamming subsections to sections.
tidbit wrote: ... unless you mean "do not allow any gaming questions/scripts" by removing those sections, like in AutoIt, I'd be all for that :D
Not allowing gaming questions/scripts in my opinion is very bad solution. Banning gamming with harm AutoHotkey.
evilC

07 Jun 2016, 14:20

I think "Script Ideas" will rapidly fill up with "Please write my script for me" threads.

The other two I think could be worth it.

I also think we should maybe have a "Disabled Users" forum for physically handicapped people who need help. I don't mind writing complete scripts for these users, they are distinctly different from the "Please code me an instant win button for game X, I am not interested in learning how to do it myself" crowd.
joedf

07 Jun 2016, 15:58

I agree with the disabled user idea, I could add in a subsection in Ask For Help. However, I must acknowledge that some (including myself) may find this a little unnecessary.
tidbit wrote:Was thinking about a General Chat section in the AutoHotkey group, for non-scripts/tutorials/help/bugs. just general ahk related chat.
Most of the things in Offtopic would go there since quite a bit of stuff in that section is AHK related, making it not really offtopic.

offtopic is more like these topics:
  • « What's on your mind? »
    Thank you for the music
    Anime
Not these topics:
  • A Github organisation for ahkscript
    A Trello organisation for ahkscript
    Rosetta Code
    AHK is a *bad* language?
    AutoHotkey User Survey
    Why do you use AHK?
    AutoHotKey and Windows 10
Shall I go ahead and make the changes? :)
tidbit

07 Jun 2016, 16:17

vasili111's "Version 1" changes? I say yes.

I do agree with a Disabled section aswell, but it is pretty rare. Also, we've had more than a handful of "help im disabled" people on IRC only to somehow indicate they were lying. Like typing really bad and slow, and then as soon as we made the thing, they were perfectly normal. Some have even admitted to lying so they could get help faster. It /might/ just turn into a lying pitty section. "They write full code in this section. Just say i'm disabled and I get stuff handed to me!"
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

07 Jun 2016, 17:20

Ahhh yes... lies... haha I thought of that scenario... it's sad :(

Anyone disagrees with version 1?
A link to vasili111's post for convenience: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 432#p90432
hoppfrosch

08 Jun 2016, 00:47

Just a few raw thoughts:

Most of the new sections ("Partially finished and abandoned scripts" and "Script ideas" ) seem to be heavy administation tasks. As long as a plain user does not have the possibility to move a post from on section to another, it all has to be done by the admins:
For example
  • I start a script within "Partially finished and abandoned scripts" and declare my script to be finalized now. I have to beg an adminstrator to move my script to the "Finished script section".
  • Who decides whether a script is abondoned or not? Even if it is clear, the post has to be moved from "Regular Script"-Section to "Abandoned" by an admin
All those sections require thoughtfull administrators to do those tasks in time.

IMHO it would make much more sense to introduce tags for posts -this would allow all users to indicate the state of a post or the state of the contents of a post. Tags like Solved, Experimental, Unfinished or Abandoned (which could be set by the community -or at least by post owner) would be more practical than separate sections.
The suggested sections are for describing the state of a script - and the state change cannot be done by the owner of the post. This seems a bad idea IMHO

Final Suggestion: If you want to indicate the state of a script, use a mechanism which can be influenced by the post/script owner. IMHO tags would be a good solution for this - and they can also be used for other purposes as well (for example for categorization like "GUI", "Window" ...)

JM2C
nnnik

08 Jun 2016, 02:48

I start a script within "Partially finished and abandoned scripts" and declare my script to be finalized now. I have to beg an adminstrator to move my script to the "Finished script section".
Hmmmmm.. The name is really misleading here. Just make it abandoned Scripts instead.
Abandoned scripts are large Projects where the original creator is no longer around.
They might or might not be finished.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

08 Jun 2016, 08:44

I feel that this might be too much of a hassle. Usually, it is obvious enough to most users to see something is abandoned when they look, say at the last post date and such. It is true that some will not see this. I suggest to leave the scripts sections as is, and if the event occurs when a project seems to be abandoned and the post owner has said so, then will it be indicated in the post title [ABANDONED] or something.
nnnik

08 Jun 2016, 16:56

What about those that want to officially continue an long abandoned script.
e.g. gdip_all.ahk
Recommends AHK Studio
vasili111

09 Jun 2016, 02:58

evilC wrote:I think "Script Ideas" will rapidly fill up with "Please write my script for me" threads.
In that case "Ask for help" section will become more clean, so I think even in that case it is good.
evilC wrote: I also think we should maybe have a "Disabled Users" forum for physically handicapped people who need help. I don't mind writing complete scripts for these users, they are distinctly different from the "Please code me an instant win button for game X, I am not interested in learning how to do it myself" crowd.
Why not :) I dont think it will be very popular section, but I think it can actually improve life at least for some people if not many. So I vote for it :)

joedf wrote:I feel that this might be too much of a hassle. Usually, it is obvious enough to most users to see something is abandoned when they look, say at the last post date and such. It is true that some will not see this. I suggest to leave the scripts sections as is, and if the event occurs when a project seems to be abandoned and the post owner has said so, then will it be indicated in the post title [ABANDONED] or something.
I want to clarify the meaning of "Partially finished and abandoned scripts".
That section is not place for scripts that some times ago were released in stable and fully functional state and after some time their development was abandoned.
It is a place for a partially finished scripts whose development is abandoned before they were finished. These scripts are not functional or are partially functional but they anyway can be useful for some other people. So script to be in "Partially finished and abandoned scripts" section must meet 3 criteria:
1. It have to be partially finished (not functional or partially functional).
2. Developer of the script does not want to develop that script anymore.
3. It should be potentially useful for others in current state. For example it can contain interesting original parts that other people can use or other people can finish the script and make it fully functional.

nnnik wrote:What about those that want to officially continue an long abandoned script.
e.g. gdip_all.ahk
If someone wants to continue development and support a script that was developed before by someone else and now is abandoned, new developer should make new thread at "Script and Functions" section and also place link of new thread in a old thread of that script.

11 Jun 2016, 09:28

How about adding an entry for the old archive? It will have just one message containing a link to it - that way people might be enticed to browse it - now you just land on it via Google
AutoHotkey
Getting help
General
AutoHotkey Forum Archive (new)
AutoHotkey Archive - section with only one post pointing to the old archive
Other
etc
joedf

11 Jun 2016, 14:59

Now, I must say that the "nope to all" vote ... is phenominal... :o

On the latter matter ... ( :HeHe: )
I understand that Google is a problem right now... However, the archived forum is locked forever... :(
That said, I will do specific redirect edits upon request.

Return to “About This Community”