Rename 'Bug Reports to 'Issues'

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
just me

Rename 'Bug Reports to 'Issues'

10 Apr 2015, 05:15

Because we're just thinking about a redesign of the forum I suggest to rename "Bug Reports" to "Issues" (or something similar) with a sub-forum "Bugs" as it is at AutoHotkey.com.
Non-privileged users should only be able to post in the "Issues" section. As soon as an isssue is considered to be a bug, it should be moved to the "Bugs" sub-forum by the moderators/admins.
toralf

Re: Rename 'Bug Reports to 'Issues'

10 Apr 2015, 06:12

I know that you wrote 'or something similar', but I will comment on 'issue'.

The term issue is in my opinion to generic. Users could be confused. There are so many topics that could be an issue. But they all should go to the ask for help section.

If I understand your proposal correctly if would essentially create a filtered and strongly moderated bug section, correct? What would be the benefit of having that section filtered and strongly moderated?

Taking your proposal a little further: Wouldn't it be the same if all non bug posts will be moved to ask for help?
Or if non could post in bugs but when a bug is posted in ask for help then it gets moved to bugs by moderators/admins?

I do not see the benefits yet.
ciao
toralf
fincs

10 Apr 2015, 07:29

When the ahkscript.org forum was set up, the Bug Reports and Wish List sections were specifically reinstated exactly as they were in the old phpBB v2 forum at autohotkey.com, because the new layout instated by polyethene was causing confusion and people were having more trouble deciding where to post their bug reports or their requests; especially because the former section was being hidden away beneath the latter, despite being completely unrelated and the latter being renamed to have a more ambiguous title. With that said, I agree with moving non-bug reports out of Bug Reports and into Ask for Help.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
just me

10 Apr 2015, 15:09

I think that many of the threads in "Bug Reports" are posted by users who can't explain a specific behaviour. But seemingly they simultaneously believe that it has to be a bug. Otherwise they would post in "Ask for Help".

And they might be asked: "Why do you think this is a bug? Where in the docs is written that AHK should act like you expect?". That's why I think that "Issues" might be a better caption. And, as said, in contrast to AutoHotkey.com, the "Bugs" section should be reserved for considered bugs where non-privileged aren't able to post. Why do you think it might be confusing?
joedf

10 Apr 2015, 15:53

How about: "Issues and Bug Reports" ?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
lexikos

10 Apr 2015, 18:30

Leave it as it is - the current system works just fine. Having effectively "Bug Reports" and "Confirmed Bugs" wouldn't be overly helpful; there aren't that many bug reports, and there's only one developer fixing bugs. If there were more developers, a dedicated issue tracking system like the one on GitHub would be more suitable than another sub-forum.
Why do you think it might be confusing?
I have an issue with my script. Where should I post?
I have an issue installing or using AutoHotkey. Where should I post?

We don't think it might be confusing; experience has shown that it is confusing.
joedf

10 Apr 2015, 19:27

Status quo it is then
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
just me

11 Apr 2015, 01:01

OK, then I suggest to move 'bug reports' which are not considered as bugs to 'Ask for Help' asap.
joedf

11 Apr 2015, 09:34

Do we have consensus on that?
guest3456

15 Apr 2015, 16:58

just me wrote:OK, then I suggest to move 'bug reports' which are not considered as bugs to 'Ask for Help' asap.
isn't that what already happens?

you're suggesting adding a forum, which then requires manual intervention to move the post to the real "Bug Reports" forum. currently, manual intervention is required to move non bug reports to the "Ask For Help" forum. same thing. one action is still required to review the post and make the decision

as fincs said, your suggestion was already changed on autohotkey.com, and there was MUCH more confusion, with everyone posting "issues" with their scripts in that forum

just me

18 Dec 2015, 05:35

Looking at the Bug section I'm wondering about what you are thinking now.
sinkfaze

18 Dec 2015, 09:34

just me wrote:Looking at the Bug section I'm wondering about what you are thinking now.
I personally would be thinking "Imagine how much worse this would've been if the forum were named 'Issues' or if it were a subforum of 'Ask for Help'".

tank put up a prompt that must be dismissed when you go to AutoHotkey.com, could a similar prompt, which explains the purpose of the forum and what you should do if you're unsure if your problem is a bug or not, be generated whenever someone attempts to create a new post in Bug Reports?
guest3456

18 Dec 2015, 09:42

sinkfaze wrote:
just me wrote:Looking at the Bug section I'm wondering about what you are thinking now.
I personally would be thinking "Imagine how much worse this would've been if the forum were named 'Issues' or if it were a subforum of 'Ask for Help'".
^^

if mods are slow to move threads, then mods would be slow to moves threads just the same in your proposed "Issues" forum

just me

18 Dec 2015, 10:06

guest3456,
I wrote:Non-privileged users should only be able to post in the "Issues" section. As soon as an issue is considered to be a bug, it should be moved to the "Bugs" sub-forum by the moderators/admins.
and that's the important point for me. These aren't so many.
guest3456

18 Dec 2015, 12:48

so then:

lock the current "Bug Reports" forum

require everyone to post in Ask For Help

and then mods have to move to Bug Reports

isn't that the same as you're suggesting? Except you've added another forum "Issues" which is really just "Potential Bugs"

just me

18 Dec 2015, 16:23

Well, I would appreciate this solution. All I want is a section containing only real bugs.

Return to “About This Community”