Forum upgraded to phpBB v3.1.x

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
geek

Re: Forum upgraded to phpBB v3.1.x

13 May 2015, 08:46

The current captchas we use are only during guest posting and registration, right? So I'd assume that the reCaptchas would only be in those same places as well
guest3456

13 May 2015, 10:54

lexikos wrote:
toralf wrote:Is there any way to enhance the simplicity theme in regards to allow clicks/touches on the icons?
The icon was already supposed to be a link if there are unread posts in the forum/topic, but the next element was overlapping it. I've fixed that.
Maybe I'm dumb but its not working for me. We're supposed to be clicking on the orange/green bubbles right? Its not a link for me

tidbit

13 May 2015, 13:12

It's yet another weird phpbb issue/feature. It has always been like that, the old forum and new one.

the big icon that says "new posts" or "no new posts" is NOT a link. if you want to click it, you need to click th much tinier little arrow next to the post name. It's lame and I never understood it.

Same with the Last Post column. The same tiny arrow is a link yet the big timestamp is not a link.

It's like the phpbb dev(s) are training everyone to be a MLG gamer and hiding expected stuff. They like to make stuff overly complicated.

EDIT: it seems someone (joedf?) fixed that! awesome, thanks.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
joedf

13 May 2015, 14:33

not sure, i don't seem to have that problem, I think Lexikos fixed it.
we're doing stuff simultaneously, so i get lost sometimes :P
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
lexikos

13 May 2015, 20:56

tidbit wrote:the big icon that says "new posts" or "no new posts" is NOT a link.
The "new posts" icon is a link; it was working when I posted saying I'd fixed it, and is working now. Perhaps you were getting a cached stylesheet. The "no new posts" icon is not a link.
GeekDude wrote:I think I'd call that a feature, not a bug. I think the only thing that should be "special" in a code box is the code box ending tag.
Your screenshot seems to show that they were working with the standard code box. Does anyone remember if they were working on phpBB 3.0, or know of any posts which now contain broken color tags? The .com forum is littered with such scripts.
toralf

13 May 2015, 22:54

lexikos wrote:
tidbit wrote:the big icon that says "new posts" or "no new posts" is NOT a link.
The "new posts" icon is a link; it was working when I posted saying I'd fixed it, and is working now. Perhaps you were getting a cached stylesheet. The "no new posts" icon is not a link.
is it possible to make the "no new post" icon be a link to the end of the topic? Or at least to the last post? It would help me to get to the quick reply edit field.
ciao
toralf
guest3456

14 May 2015, 01:12

lexikos wrote:
GeekDude wrote:I think I'd call that a feature, not a bug. I think the only thing that should be "special" in a code box is the code box ending tag.
Your screenshot seems to show that they were working with the standard code box. Does anyone remember if they were working on phpBB 3.0, or know of any posts which now contain broken color tags? The .com forum is littered with such scripts.
his screenshot is of my post in the Testing thread. the top box which worked for the color tag was joedf's [codebox] which is now removed. as you can see it no longer works:
http://ahkscript.org/boards/viewtopic.p ... 240#p44893

i'm undecided whether or not color tags should be allowed or if they should be literal

and yeah it was common for people to 'highlight' certain parts of the code on the old ahk.com forum with color tags

lexikos

14 May 2015, 03:35

Thanks for clarifying. I think they "worked" temporarily with [codebox] because I had changed the part of the extension that processes its content to handle

Code: Select all

tags instead. Standard phpBB 3.1 code tags definitely leave color tags as plain text (I tested).

I thought about it some more, and came to the conclusion that it probably never worked with syntax highlighting because the parser would have had to strip out the bbcode tags before passing the code to GeSHi (or other syntax highlighter), and somehow put them back in afterward. If it wasn't working before, it doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort to make it work now.

@toralf: I'm sure it's possible, and I'll look into it if I remember.
Micromegas

14 May 2015, 10:16

I'm missing two features from the old software:
  1. My user name used to appear on top, which confirmed for me that I was logged in, and gave me instant access to my profile.
  2. There was a link like "your recent posts" on top that helped me find them. Now instead I have to go to my profile (for which I have to now scroll to the end of the page and pick my name from the list of online people), and select "Search user’s posts" there.
tidbit

14 May 2015, 10:24

Micromegas wrote:I'm missing two features from the old software:
  1. My user name used to appear on top, which confirmed for me that I was logged in, and gave me instant access to my profile.
  2. There was a link like "your recent posts" on top that helped me find them. Now instead I have to go to my profile (for which I have to now scroll to the end of the page and pick my name from the list of online people), and select "Search user’s posts" there.
#2 --> http://imgur.com/B1xU60O
quick links (the 3 bars in top-left) -> your post
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
guest3456

14 May 2015, 10:36

Micromegas wrote:I'm missing two features from the old software:
and #1, the little person icon in the upper right

Micromegas

14 May 2015, 10:48

Thanks, guys!
Stamimail

14 May 2015, 10:50

My Opinion:
I believe who will used to the website can find it more convenient, but there is difficulty orientation for new users.
I for example would prefer more Text instead buttons of Icons buttons; I had difficulty in finding "View your post"; etc.
What I'm trying to say is, it should be more intuitive for the new visitor, so that he can find things fast.
I liked the structure, but not the colors.
Quick Reply Text should be aligned with the the Posts Text above. In the space on left you can put buttons/smileys.

Icons of Titles (Like Chat Icons) should be less big and more understood.

That's it, GoodLuck
Stamimail
joedf

14 May 2015, 14:34

no, luck at fixing tank's anti spam, not sure where it's hidden...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
guest3456

14 May 2015, 14:41

Stamimail wrote:My Opinion:

Quick Reply Text should be aligned with the the Posts Text above. In the space on left you can put buttons/smileys.
use this:

#qr_postform {
  margin-left: 160px;
}
Stamimail wrote: Icons of Titles (Like Chat Icons) should be less big and more understood.
those images are really 72x72, but the css changes them to 36x36. should be easily changed smaller if you want. theres a line in the stylesheet which defines it

background-size: 36px 36px;

Nextron

14 May 2015, 17:21

Perhaps there is also room for improvement with regard to ease of readability:

When moving your focus from top to bottom in order to read a topic, you encounter many irrelevant and unimportant elements which you are constantly unconsciously filtering out, as described:

Removing or relocating some of those creates an virtual information column (Green arrow bar) that can only contain the posted message, which usually is the most important aspect. In my opinion it not only looks better, it also improves readability.

LinearSpoon

14 May 2015, 18:14

Code boxes are very difficult to read on Digi (Dark Blue)... If you can't change the highlighting, is there at least a way to change the background of code tags to a lighter color?
guest3456

14 May 2015, 19:19

@Nextron:

+1
Thats exactly what I meant about the "distracting" stuff earlier. The post content is the important stuff.

lexikos

15 May 2015, 06:32

jNizM wrote:Got this error after hitting Submit Button in autohotkey.com Topic.
https://i.imgur.com/hptHDux.png
It appears that the problem was the system attempting to email notifications to users who have selected a language other than the default, English. (It depended on who has subscribed to the topic you are posting in and what their board language was set to.) Although phpBB seemed to think there were language packs installed, none of the files were there, so when the system tried to generate the email message (in the appropriate language), it fell over. For now, I have removed all of the broken language options to prevent this "crash".

As far as I can tell, the board was displayed in English regardless of what the user selected, no doubt because of the missing files. I don't know how it was before the upgrade.

Return to “About This Community”