GIMP - How to make an average capture from multiple captures for ImageSearch

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
Noo0B

GIMP - How to make an average capture from multiple captures for ImageSearch

05 Nov 2022, 09:31

This post helps make slightly different captures - icons, etc - easier to scan with ImageSearch, reducing errors and false results.
from https://www.asawicki.info/news_1391_how_to_equally_blend_multiple_images_in_gimp
Go to GIMP, choose open as layers for your captures, select each capture located the stack menu on the bottom right and crop the relevant part of them with the crop tool, right-click the selection and choose layer/layer to image. Do this to all images so that they are similar in form.
Then :

"Finally, after doing some math with pen and paper, I calculated that to equally blend (average) n images in GIMP, you should:

Load all the images as layers - File / Open as Layers.
Use default blending mode - “Normal”.
Set Opacity for subsequent layers, beginning from the topmost layer, to: 1/n, 1/(n-1), 1/(n-2), …, 1 percent.
For example, I have 5 photos so I give them Opacity: 20, 25, 33, 50, 100"

You may need to find the Gradient (Blend) menu on the left to edit the settings if needed.
*edit: The images can not be edited separately if loaded all at once at the bottom right layer box. Also, for cropping the selection needs a click at the boxes on the vertices of the selection.

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”