How to Hash / Checksum in a spreadsheet

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
DaveT1

How to Hash / Checksum in a spreadsheet

19 Apr 2023, 15:03

Hi,

Hope this is appropriate (place) to ask this...

I have a column of numbers in a spreadsheet (LO Calc as it happens). I want to check that this column of numbers, and the precise order of them, are unique. This is because I'll have many such columns of numbers and I want to check that I don't indvertently duplicate them.

One approach is illustrated in the image (where the column of numbers I want to test for uniqueness is column headed 'operations'):

image.png
image.png (54.78 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

Here, the final number in the bottom-right cell will be a 'prime-hash' (loose terminology). It = the multiplication of all (Prime^operation)_i * (Prime^operation)_(i+1) *..., etc, etc - where i is the first row in the table.

It does give unique 'prime-hash' values, but it blows up pretty quickly. So it's not suitable for my current needs.

So is there a relatively simple way to implement a hash-checksum-like operation in a spreadsheet? I wouldn't mind if it flagged up a small number of false-positives 'cos I could check these manually.

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts or pointers.

Much appreciated.
mcl

Re: How to Hash / Checksum in a spreadsheet

25 Apr 2023, 00:38

DaveT1 wrote: I want to check that this column of numbers, and the precise order of them, are unique.
Probably I'm missing the point, but can it be solved with conditional formatting and filters?
github://oGDIp - GDI+ wrapper for AHK v1.1

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”