What's the name of these settings in url of default search engine (Google)?

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
DeepMind

What's the name of these settings in url of default search engine (Google)?

30 Sep 2016, 06:54

so there is these settings in the third textinput (most right text input where you enter the site address and you addes "%s" in place of query) of custom search engines (accessible through right clicking on omnibox and "Edit search engines..." options):
settings in url of default search engine (Google) wrote: {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}
my questions:
what are they called in programming language? (Bookmarklet?) and where i find more of these settings? i want to learn more of these or options similar to "%s" that are executable with Google Chrome or (or maybe they're accessible in any browser?).

and what's the name of "%s" in general? (what kinda string is that?) TIA :D
codybear

Re: What's the name of these settings in url of default search engine (Google)?

04 Jan 2017, 11:40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet; So in short, no, not a bookmarklet. A Bookmarklet is essentially a bookmark that is comprised of JavaScript and you save it in your browser. When you select it, it'll execute the javascript code and do the commands you've written it to do.

I believe more of what you're looking for is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_R ... Identifier. Make sure to read the whole thing and click around through to the other links and references on that page. Also look up the APIs for the sites/search services/etc that you want to use as they'll have their custom commands and other things that are not uniform across the web.

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”