screen capture utility with floating feature

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
paik1002

screen capture utility with floating feature

21 Oct 2016, 10:41

The idea is to have my screenshot immediately available after a capture, as a floating screenshot.
This floating screenshot should hover over other windows and desktop activities, just like a sticky note or a picture-in-picture mode in a TV.

Can any recommend a screen clipping utility with floating features as such?
Helgef

Re: screen capture utility with floating feature

22 Oct 2016, 01:57

Have you seen this thread? It might have what you are looking for.
paik1002

22 Oct 2016, 13:54

Yes, that hits the nail dead on the head.

However, it seems that I am having trouble with its usage(does not work correctly).

Lwin+Lbutton+drag mouse brings up the yellow highlighted box alright.
However, nothing happens after that(releasing the mouse button should result in a final capture). No screen capture, therefore no floating window.
The other hotkeys(i.e. e-mail & URL extensions) produce runtime errors staring at line 2508: imag.LoadFile(File_to_Upload).

I tested it two ways:
(1) Incorporating it into my existing script via "#Include %A_ScriptDir%\screenclip.ahk" where screenclip.ahk is the screen clipping script(full update version) from the thread, and
(2) Compiling and independently running it(without other AHK scipts running at the same time).
Both non-compiled/compiled versions show similar symptoms, and both fail to work(I am on a Win10 x64 system).

I don't think the author of the script is answering to my message, so unfortunately I am most probably out of luck.
Helgef

22 Oct 2016, 14:21

Just tested the script from post 2 by "Joe Glines". Seems to work fine on win7 64 bit. I have no other experience with that script, you should ask for help in the relevant thread.
paik1002

22 Oct 2016, 14:44

Yes thanks. That I should sure do.
BYW, I tried setting the compatiblity mode to Windows 7, but to no avail.
spamspambaconspam

17 Apr 2017, 10:31

I wanted the same exact thing.... I routinely capture screenshots in order to have the data in the window available to me as I do something else...

This program was EXACTLY what I needed:

https://www.snipaste.com/

It's free and has been trouble free for me.

HTH!

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”