Icon generator v2

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
krzysiunet

Icon generator v2

03 Nov 2017, 18:27

Text icon generator for AHK scripts
https://mini.krzysiu.net/icon-generator

Some time ago I've shared my small icon generator (let's call it IG). I've just made another version. It's the icon generator which can be used for fast and simple creating AHK script icons. If you have a lot of them, you'd probably want to have different ones. Generated icons are public domain. They are probably too trivial. If they aren't or if public domain is a problem in your country, let me release them on CC-0.

Changes:
* Now IG outputs PNG images. If you really need ICO all the time and you can't just convert it, tell me.
* More sizes! For now 256, 64, 32 and 16px
* Translated to English
* Real text center[1]
* Font size is no more px, as it was never px, nor pt... I don't know what. Well, it's just 1-10 for now. If you need greater values let me know.
* Performance tweaks - now it's even slower!
* Removed "Generate" button as it's generating every second

If you want new fonts, also let me know. Rules: must be rather small (for 16x16 icons), SIL 1.1 license only. Someday[2] I'll provide link for multi-page ICO file (so you can just download one and use this file in compiler).

If you think icons are ugly and you want to make it better, so everybody would be happy, I'll happily provide you the original files[2].

If the website design breaks up to the point of unusable, also let me know. If the server breaks up, it will probably work later. Currently it's the only one with all needed features I can afford, but it tends to be slow.

[1] which is basically impossible in ImageMagick; if you'd fight with it someday, there's only one way: new image>annotate>composite with background. And no, you can't set gravity:center for composite, ugh. You need to count the sizes. Damn you, ImageMagick.
[2] I'm sick of ImageMagick modes which works randomly (really, same values, code is exactly the same, random white dots everywhere) and recent version of Inkscape which tends to add random transparency for objects, probably basing on the (arousal of penguins^solar flares power)/das kapital on the welt.
Last edited by krzysiunet on 11 Jan 2018, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Do you think my work is worth donating? I'm trying to keep my tools FLOSS, but donation or your feedback motivates me to do even more! https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/krzysiunet/5EUR
My works, tutorials etc: Krzysiu's random things * Krzysiu Photography * Mini webapps (including icon generator for AHK) * Comic strips (in Polish) * YT channel (both EN and PL) * Public domain cliparts
krzysiunet

Re: Icon generator v2

10 Nov 2017, 19:01

v0.2.1 - 2017.10.11
===================
* Labels support up to 200 characters (initially 3; thanks Michał!)
* Yet another font size change - still own units, ranged from 1-20
* Support for multilined labels
* Size of labels should be now equal in every size variant (thanks Żbiczek!)
* Advanced text options:
** Line spacing
** Character spacing
** Text rotation
* Minor bugs fixed
Do you think my work is worth donating? I'm trying to keep my tools FLOSS, but donation or your feedback motivates me to do even more! https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/krzysiunet/5EUR
My works, tutorials etc: Krzysiu's random things * Krzysiu Photography * Mini webapps (including icon generator for AHK) * Comic strips (in Polish) * YT channel (both EN and PL) * Public domain cliparts
comvox

07 Jan 2018, 22:10

This is a beautiful program, and I generated some icons with it almost a year ago. However, when I tried to use it today, it didn't generate any files at all. I could enter the various parameters, but nothing was generated.
BoBo

08 Jan 2018, 16:14

I've left a message on its site. Hopefully, it will get fixed soon. But well, don't hold your breath ... 8-)
krzysiunet

11 Jan 2018, 16:18

Thank you a lot! It's probably some HTTPS issue. I'll look into it.

edit: Done! Thanks again - the problem that broke it was very simple to fix, but it was affecting a lot of other websites/apps as well, mostly my photo gallery :) I'm grateful! :dance:
BoBo

11 Jan 2018, 17:45

krzysiunet wrote:Thank you a lot! It's probably some HTTPS issue. I'll look into it.

edit: Done! Thanks again - the problem that broke it was very simple to fix, but it was affecting a lot of other websites/apps as well, mostly my photo gallery :) I'm grateful! :dance:
Thx for that fast fix! Much appreciated :thumbup:
Question: is there any chance to port the icon generator to AHK?
tidbit

12 Jan 2018, 20:34

remember me? :)
idea:
for smaller sizes, don't scale everything down evenly. 16x16 is really hard to read.
(random numbers as example)
lets say the icon is 100, text is 50
next size down: 60/40
next size down: 40/35
next size down: 30/30
basically just some curve, a small 16x16 icon would have large text, proportionally. larger the icon, smaller the text, proportionally
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”