Screencastify [Chrome]

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
BoBo

Screencastify [Chrome]

27 Nov 2017, 05:24

... bc it's a browser extension it might work with Firefox too (?)

Probably worth a look if tutorials are your cup of tea, or you're interested to visualize a scripting issue you wanna get solved :)
So, here we go ...

(OH NO, he wants me to read all that text :wtf: I'd prefer to watch :arrow: [this] introduction video instead :thumbup: )
Screencastify - a lightweight screen recorder for Chrome.
Capture, edit and share screencasts in seconds.

Ready, set, record.
Capture your entire desktop, browser tab or webcam. Narrate with your built-in or external microphone, and embed your webcam to add a personal touch.

Edit to perfection.
During your recording, annotate with our pen tool. Then crop and trim your clip in our browser-based editor. Coming soon: merge and split clips!

Share with the world.
Your recordings will automatically save to your Google Drive. Publish them directly to YouTube or share the link with your audience.

The free plan contains this (what I think is fair enough and fits our needs) :thumbup:
  • 10 minute video length limit
    50 videos / month
    Screencastify watermark
[More..]

PS. There's also an [API] available !

The Screencastify API allows users to share recordings with third-party Applications/Sites from within Screencastify or (optionally) control recording from the site.

Sharing from within Screencastify
Apps are shown as an additional upload target in Screencastify's share dialog.

Screencastify can also be configured to "Record for an App". This automatically shares all new recordings with the configured App. It's the responsibility of the App to handle and store such recordings. Record for App Flow Demo Video
This is a pure client-side API, recordings are passed to Apps as regular File objects (like from a file picker) locally.

Controlling recording from the site
The recording API allows to initiate and control record from a site. To get an idea how this works, try the In-Site Recorder Demo.

The resulting video is shared in the same way as recordings made with the "Record for an App" feature.
8-)

PS. You have a boring life and/or you prefer to watch lengthy tutorials over sharing your time with your creepy neighbours: [Super Screencastify Activities for Schools - 01:07:05] :mrgreen:
BoBo

Visualizing your tutorial ...

27 Nov 2017, 05:35

... or you wanna add some extra beef to it?
So, probably :arrow: Screencastify might be of interest to you too :)
Moderators Note: since this topic was too short to be called a tutorial I merged it with the post in Other Utilities & Resources
Gio

Re: Visualizing your tutorial ...

27 Nov 2017, 10:07

Awesome, i was actually looking for new a screen recorder, might give this a try :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.
Exaskryz

Re: Screencastify [Chrome]

27 Nov 2017, 12:40

What is the benefit over something like Open Broadcast Software?

The video length limit and total video limit sounds like a problem, as well as watermarking.

The pen tool sounds nice though. Does anyone know a good program to just add on the on-screen annotation?
BoBo

Re: Visualizing your tutorial ...

27 Nov 2017, 16:38

If you check out (time restricted?) videos/courses at youtube it's not that bad.
IMHO it can be beneficial to have small(er) training sections instead of dealing with "information overkill" :)
BoBo

Re: Screencastify [Chrome]

28 Nov 2017, 06:37

If I saw it correctly Screencastify saves its files in WebM-file format (well, I've read that the paid version offers GIF/MP4 too)
To workaround the length limit it might be possible to merge them directly, where [this] might come handy OR ...
if you prefer a fool-proof option to convert to standard MP4s, try something like [this] beforehand.

Command line aficionado? ffmpeg -i "MyVideo.webm" -qscale 0 "MyVideo.mp4" (converted a 14MB webm file to a 45MB mp4 file)

I'm pretty sure someone out there is able to automate a stitching/conversion of those files with one of our favourite scripting tools ever :mrgreen:

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”