InfoWarp - launcher, text store/find and reminder app

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
mtodd

InfoWarp - launcher, text store/find and reminder app

11 Oct 2018, 20:37

Updated to v1.51 (10/19/18)

In InfoWarp, I have combined several earlier applications. The program uses a data folder and stores items in text format. A rich text notepad is also incorporated which saves to RTF and Text.

The program is a Document, Folder, URL and Program launcher with these capabilities:

-Manage and Launch all the types of Windows shortcuts: Files, Folders, URLs, Programs.
-Launch any item via mouse, keyboard or a Hotstring.
-Create Hotstrings to enter standard texts with a few letters.
-Display the current Hotstrings.
-Add Reminders to any Text items.
-Display the current Reminders.
-Display and open Recent Files/Folders.
-Store and quickly display or search on Textual items.
-Display a Rich Text editor for quick notes via the F9 key.
-Set items on any Tab to have characteristics of typical ToDos or a Kanban board.
-Reports for Hotstrings, Reminders and ToDo/Kanban items.

While I am still working on documentation, the program's Blog page has lots of screen shots. The program itself has a built in Tutorial as well.

The Blog pages is here: http://s355751075.onlinehome.us/infogri ... abilities/

This represents a good two months of evening work. Any feedback is appreciated. :)
Last edited by mtodd on 20 Oct 2018, 09:30, edited 5 times in total.
iPhilip

Re: InfoWarp - launcher, text store/find and reminder app

12 Oct 2018, 14:27

Hi mtodd,

Thank you for the contribution. The blog link is not working. Also, is there a way to download your script so that I can try it?

Thank you.
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) - AutoHotkey v2.0+ (Unicode 64-bit)
burque505

12 Oct 2018, 16:00

Hi, iPhilip, here's the fixed link to the blog.
Regards,
burque505
mtodd

12 Oct 2018, 16:05

iPhilip,

I fixed the link, it had two http:// in it.

Mike
iPhilip wrote:Hi mtodd,

Thank you for the contribution. The blog link is not working. Also, is there a way to download your script so that I can try it?

Thank you.
burque505

12 Oct 2018, 16:13

Hi Mike, looks like I was late to the party :)
Very nice program, by the way.
Regards,
burque505
iPhilip

12 Oct 2018, 18:08

Hi Mike,

Thank you for fixing the link. I downloaded the InfoWarp.zip file, extracted the .exe file and folder, clicked on the InfoWarp.exe file and got the following error:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
InfoWarp.exe
Error:  Can't load icon.

Specifically: imageres.dll

Line#
--->	099: Menu,Tray,Icon,&Backup Items,imageres.dll,231

The current thread will exit.
OK   
I used the following to see that the imageres.dll file exists on my drive

MsgBox % FileExist("C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll")
I thought you might want to know. My platform details are below.

Also, are you intending in posting the source code on this site?

Thank you.
mtodd

12 Oct 2018, 18:34

iPhilip,

I sorta went wild adding icons to a lot of Menu items. I was trying to just use shell32.dll for those icons but it's not sufficient. I have been using the program on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with no DLL path issues. I can perhaps find additional icons and not use imageres.dll if you are unable to place a copy of it in your system's path. Or I can just check first and leave some menu items w/o icons.

On my home system, imageres.dll is under c:\windows inside two folders and is about 45 mb.

C:\Windows>dir imageres.dll /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 02C7-7603

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

08/22/2013 07:44 AM 48,847,872 imageres.dll
1 File(s) 48,847,872 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\SysWOW64

08/22/2013 12:16 AM 48,847,872 imageres.dll
1 File(s) 48,847,872 bytes
iPhilip wrote:Hi Mike,

Thank you for fixing the link. I downloaded the InfoWarp.zip file, extracted the .exe file and folder, clicked on the InfoWarp.exe file and got the following error:

InfoWarp.exe
Error:  Can't load icon.

Specifically: imageres.dll

Line#
--->	099: Menu,Tray,Icon,&Backup Items,imageres.dll,231

The current thread will exit.
OK   
I used the following to see that the imageres.dll file exists on my drive

MsgBox % FileExist("C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll")
I thought you might want to know. My platform details are below.

Also, are you intending in posting the source code on this site?

Thank you.
burque505

12 Oct 2018, 19:06

Hi Mike,
I just tried the new version (1.4.3), I run Win7 64-bit, same error iPhilip gets. Same results as 1.4.1. The dlls are in the same locations you list.
Also, 7zip reports extra data at the end of the payload for the zip archive.
EDIT: Is the error pointing to fact that the icon number (231) is wrong on our systems?
EDIT: I've got an icon at imageres.dll #231, attached.
Old version works fine!
Regards,
burque505
icon.png
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
iPhilip

12 Oct 2018, 23:23

I think adding icons is a good idea, but I don't think the issue is placing a copy of imageres.dll in my system path. For example, the following works:

Menu, Tray, Icon, imageres.dll, 1
The issue is that, at least on my Windows 7 machine, imageres.dll only has 219 icons.
gregster

13 Oct 2018, 00:09

So that's closed source?
As I understand it, the Scripts and Functions subforum is then the wrong forum to post this. This subforum is for re-usable functions and scripts, that means, source code. Compare https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 65#p160001

If this is just an executable, perhaps the Other Utilities & Resources subforum would be more adequate. https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=22
I think we should keep this Scripts and Functions subforum as a great resource of source code and learning and keep it totally separate from "unrelated", finished software/executables (even if they are AHK-based)...

But thank you for showing and sharing your work!
mtodd

13 Oct 2018, 07:46

burque505,

Sorry about that, on my Win 8.1 system there are 399 icons in the imageres.dll file. I will just save a version that doesn't use imageres.dl and link to it from the Blog page.

Mike
burque505 wrote:Hi Mike,
I just tried the new version (1.4.3), I run Win7 64-bit, same error iPhilip gets. Same results as 1.4.1. The dlls are in the same locations you list.
Also, 7zip reports extra data at the end of the payload for the zip archive.
EDIT: Is the error pointing to fact that the icon number (231) is wrong on our systems?
EDIT: I've got an icon at imageres.dll #231, attached.
Old version works fine!
Regards,
burque505
icon.png
mtodd

13 Oct 2018, 07:48

gregster,

I will plan to move information about InfoWarp to the forum you suggest. I've been working on it since July and haven't decided to make it open source as yet. I am hoping for more feedback from this forum in either case.

Mike
gregster wrote:So that's closed source?
As I understand it, the Scripts and Functions subforum is then the wrong forum to post this. This subforum is for re-usable functions and scripts, that means, source code. Compare https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 65#p160001

If this is just an executable, perhaps the Other Utilities & Resources subforum would be more adequate. https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=22
I think we should keep this Scripts and Functions subforum as a great resource of source code and learning and keep it totally separate from "unrelated", finished software/executables (even if they are AHK-based)...

But thank you for showing and sharing your work!
Nextron

13 Oct 2018, 08:29

Off topic: If you do release the source, it can be moved to Scripts and Functions; for now, I've moved it to Other Utilities & Resources.
burque505

13 Oct 2018, 11:28

Mike, thanks for the update. I'm curious as to why the icons didn't work, since I have an icon #231 in imageres.dll in both System32 and SysWOW64 folders, but as you say they're not needed. Just want to report a bug while I'm here (also in previous versions) - when checking for an update the program always pops up "There is currently no internet connection", but of course I have one or I wouldn't be posting here :)
Regards,
burque505
mtodd

13 Oct 2018, 18:56

burque505,

How curious on the update checker. I use the same code that just pings http://www.yahoo.com. If the ping works then it looks for a text file on my Blog containing the current version number. I pretty much have that code in my other applications. I use it at home and it works in the office as well. But, if I get on vpn at home then it will be blocked and display no internet connection. The program will check for an update no more than once a day.

Mike
burque505 wrote:Mike, thanks for the update. I'm curious as to why the icons didn't work, since I have an icon #231 in imageres.dll in both System32 and SysWOW64 folders, but as you say they're not needed. Just want to report a bug while I'm here (also in previous versions) - when checking for an update the program always pops up "There is currently no internet connection", but of course I have one or I wouldn't be posting here :)
Regards,
burque505
comvox

20 Oct 2018, 18:26

It's a very nice program, mtodd, with a lot of well-thought-out usability features! One suggestion: would it be possible to allow the user to select which file manager folders show up in by default, instead of it being File Explorer?

Added later: Another thing I think would be useful is if there was a way to insert Text items by some type of clicking or shift-clicking or alt-clicking. Then one could see the content of text items by moving the cursor, edit them via double-clicking, or insert them. Preferably when these items are inserted, they would be inserted via the AHK Send command. Now this to a certain extent duplicates the hotstring capability, but it would be convenient for a somewhat different situation than what one conveniently uses the hotstrings.
SOTE

25 Oct 2018, 06:23

Impressive application, and looks to be made entirely with AutoHotkey.

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”