Method to disable update checks in Scite4ahk

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
JJohnston2

Method to disable update checks in Scite4ahk

25 Jun 2015, 12:45

One of my dev machines sits behind a company firewall that blocks outgoing http requests for non-registered programs (i.e., in this case, Scite4ahk), but instead of returning null on an http request (and forcing the browser to timeout), the firewall will immediately return a user-friendly web page.

What's happening with Scite is that when it checks for an update each time it gets started, it thinks the web page returned by the firewall means there is an update. So it returns the HTML guts of this firewall message in a message box dialog.

This dialog with all of the HTML in it takes up more than the whole screen and the dialog buttons aren't even visible. In AutoHotkey fashion, I now have a script to navigate to the proper button and hit enter when it sees this dialog, so it flashes on the screen and then disappears, but I can't find any options to just disable the update check from within Scite.

Is there a way to do this or an option available somewhere that I might have missed?
kon

Re: Method to disable update checks in Scite4ahk

25 Jun 2015, 13:03

The property seems to be in Options>Open Global properties, but do not edit this file.
Copy automatic.updates=1 into Options>Open User properties and change it to automatic.updates=0. Untested, but I believe that should do it.
JJohnston2

20 Oct 2015, 14:23

Thank you... I didn't realize most of the settings could be changed using that method. That appears to have worked.
joedf

20 Oct 2015, 21:41

Yes, this is actually a good idea since it will be quite a while before the next update, as mentioned by fincs himself ;)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
gonzax

28 Oct 2015, 11:19

I have the exact same problem so thanks a lot for that, I will try it tomorrow at work to see if it works
AmDeG 11

09 Apr 2016, 08:23

I have the same problem but when I add a line at SciTEUser.properties it seems that it is creating a new file that will be saved as a ahk at This PC > Documents > AutoHotkey >SciTE

is that ok?

will that solve my problem? i.e., lately when I was open an .ahk I was having a strange Updater window appearing regarding a SciTE problema?
kon

09 Apr 2016, 12:36

It shouldn't create any AHK files. For example, the path of the file you modify should be similar to C:\Users\UsernameHere\Documents\AutoHotkey\SciTE\SciTEUser.properties.
Note: the file extension is ".properties" not ".ahk".

Putting automatic.updates=0 in that file will prevent SciTE4AutoHotkey from checking for updates. As to whether it will solve your problem or not; I can't test if for you, you will just have to try it and see.

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”