Python Forum Category

Discuss other programming languages besides AutoHotkey
Ben the Coder

Python Forum Category

29 Aug 2022, 13:42

Hi guys,
You should add a Python forum category within the Other Programming Languages category.
SOTE

Re: Python Forum Category

02 Sep 2022, 07:59

Ben the Coder wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 13:42
You should add a Python forum category within the Other Programming Languages category.
Oddly, I'm mostly against doing such. The languages shown in Other Programming Languages have long and strong connections to AutoHotkey. C/C++ is what the Windows interpreter is written in. C# is what the interpreter for the multi-OS AHK variant (Keysharp) is written in. Additionally, there are various C#/.NET related AHK projects such as .NET Framework Interop, XAML GUIs, etc... With the Assembly category, this had a strong relation to machine code usage and MCode based scripts. Even so, it's an empty category.

Python, on the other hand, can arguably be viewed as a kind of scripting language competitor. At least in the automation scripting space. It seems to be not so much a language used by that many AHKers, as it is there are probably Python users who copy from AHK and make use of it. The concern would be to open the door for Python users to increasingly flood the forum with Python-based related topics, which could derail from the focus of AHK and expanding its usage. The more Python talk, possibly the less focus on expanding AHK to other OSes and finding new ways to use it.

If there is another scripting language that should be given consideration for a category, debatably that should be JavaScript. It too has a long history of being used in AHK scripts and there are various AHK projects that makes use of it. Many people would be interested in finding ways of including it in their scripts. Lots of talk about JavaScript, would arguably be more supplemental and useful to AHK. But, that's just my opinion.
Ben the Coder

Re: Python Forum Category

02 Sep 2022, 09:29

SOTE wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 07:59
Oddly, I'm mostly against doing such. The languages shown in Other Programming Languages have long and strong connections to AutoHotkey. C/C++ is what the Windows interpreter is written in. C# is what the interpreter for the multi-OS AHK variant (Keysharp) is written in. Additionally, there are various C#/.NET related AHK projects such as .NET Framework Interop, XAML GUIs, etc... With the Assembly category, this had a strong relation to machine code usage and MCode based scripts. Even so, it's an empty category.

Python, on the other hand, can arguably be viewed as a kind of scripting language competitor. At least in the automation scripting space. It seems to be not so much a language used by that many AHKers, as it is there are probably Python users who copy from AHK and make use of it. The concern would be to open the door for Python users to increasingly flood the forum with Python-based related topics, which could derail from the focus of AHK and expanding its usage. The more Python talk, possibly the less focus on expanding AHK to other OSes and finding new ways to use it.

If there is another scripting language that should be given consideration for a category, debatably that should be JavaScript. It too has a long history of being used in AHK scripts and there are various AHK projects that makes use of it. Many people would be interested in finding ways of including it in their scripts. Lots of talk about JavaScript, would arguably be more supplemental and useful to AHK. But, that's just my opinion.
Yeah, I see. I just am new (ish) to Python and since so many people use this forum, I thought some people could help me.
Thanks for being so helpful. :)

Return to “Other Programming Languages”