How does AHK's ImageSearch work?

Discuss other programming languages besides AutoHotkey
Miguel7

How does AHK's ImageSearch work?

13 Jan 2017, 19:50

Hey guys,

I've been working on something similar to "IronAHK" (an old library where they tried to port AHK to .net); I'm not necessarily trying to do that per se, because .net has tons of AHK's functionality already (a GUI framework, a Sleep function, string handling, File I/O, it can call functions in DLLs etc.). So I'm really focusing on:
  • Windows (WinExist, WinActivate, WinClose etc.)
    Controls (ControlClick, ControlSend, etc.)
    Hotkeys
    Sending keystrokes and mouse clicks (.net can do some of this though)
And so far it's working out pretty well; I've got a lot of the window functions working, and I just recently figured out how to do hotkeys. And for the few things .net doesn't do natively, there are NuGet packages or Win32 API functions that do.

Anyway I would LOVE to add ImageSearch to the list! But my C++ skills are not to the point (yet) where I can look at arbitrary code and figure out how it works. I've been looking at the AHK source lately, and can't seem to find the implementation details. There seems to be a class called "Line" that seems to handle a lot of stuff (I'm guessing it's the guts of the AHK interpreter, which decides what to do on a line-by-line basis), but I'm not seeing a Line::ImageSearch definition anywhere.

So my next step was to do like I did with the window functions - just get it done in C#. I tried Get/SetPixel (which I see is used for PixelGetColor) and soon found out how slow that was; frm there I tried using the .net Bitmap object and its LockBits method, and that came up with something that worked but was still way slower than AHK's version. I've also considered libraries like OpenCV and EmguCV (which I'd love to learn if I could follow the math :lol:) but in the end AHK still seems to have the simplest, fastest algorithm out there. Anyone here know how it works? :)

If not, another option I'm considering is writing an AHK script that I can compile to an EXE and call from C# passing the parameters through the command line. I actually got this working, but I'm thinking the overhead of running an external program might slow things down a bit (or would it?). Thanks guys. :)
Miguel7

Re: How does AHK's ImageSearch work?

17 Jan 2017, 18:46

Thanks HotKeyIt. I saw script2.cpp but never thought to look there (guess I was expecting a Line.cpp or ImageSearch.cpp or something, ID10T error on my part :lol:). Anyway, thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to diving into it.
nnnik

18 Jan 2017, 10:46

Code: Select all

if (aVariation < 1) // Caller wants an exact match.
	{
		// Concerning the following use of 0x00FFFFFF, the use of 0x00F8F8F8 above is related (both have high order byte 00).
		// The following needs to be done only when shades-of-variation mode isn't in effect because
		// shades-of-variation mode ignores the high-order byte due to its use of macros such as GetRValue().
		// This transformation incurs about a 15% performance decrease (percentage is fairly constant since
		// it is proportional to the search-region size, which tends to be much larger than the search-image and
		// is therefore the primary determination of how long the loops take). But it definitely helps find images
		// more successfully in some cases.  For example, if a PNG file is displayed in a GUI window, this
		// transformation allows certain bitmap search-images to be found via variation==0 when they otherwise
		// would require variation==1 (possibly the variation==1 success is just a side-effect of it
		// ignoring the high-order byte -- maybe a much higher variation would be needed if the high
		// order byte were also subject to the same shades-of-variation analysis as the other three bytes [RGB]).
		for (i = 0; i < screen_pixel_count; ++i)
			screen_pixel[i] &= 0x00FFFFFF;

{
			// Unlike the variation-loop, the following one uses a first-pixel optimization to boost performance
			// by about 10% because it's only 3 extra comparisons and exact-match mode is probably used more often.
			// Before even checking whether the other adjacent pixels in the region match the image, ensure
			// the image does not extend past the right or bottom edges of the current part of the search region.
			// This is done for performance but more importantly to prevent partial matches at the edges of the
			// search region from being considered complete matches.
			// The following check is ordered for short-circuit performance.  In addition, image_mask, if
			// non-NULL, is used to determine which pixels are transparent within the image and thus should
			// match any color on the screen.
			if ((screen_pixel[i] == image_pixel[0] // A screen pixel has been found that matches the image's first pixel.
				|| image_mask && image_mask[0]     // Or: It's an icon's transparent pixel, which matches any color.
				|| image_pixel[0] == trans_color)  // This should be okay even if trans_color==CLR_NONE, since CLR_NONE should never occur naturally in the image.
				&& image_height <= screen_height - i/screen_width // Image is short enough to fit in the remaining rows of the search region.
				&& image_width <= screen_width - i%screen_width)  // Image is narrow enough not to exceed the right-side boundary of the search region.
			{
				// Check if this candidate region -- which is a subset of the search region whose height and width
				// matches that of the image -- is a pixel-for-pixel match of the image.
				for (found = true, x = 0, y = 0, j = 0, k = i; j < image_pixel_count; ++j)
				{
					if (!(found = (screen_pixel[k] == image_pixel[j] // At least one pixel doesn't match, so this candidate is discarded.
						|| image_mask && image_mask[j]      // Or: It's an icon's transparent pixel, which matches any color.
						|| image_pixel[j] == trans_color))) // This should be okay even if trans_color==CLR_NONE, since CLR none should never occur naturally in the image.
						break;
					if (++x < image_width) // We're still within the same row of the image, so just move on to the next screen pixel.
						++k;
					else // We're starting a new row of the image.
					{
						x = 0; // Return to the leftmost column of the image.
						++y;   // Move one row downward in the image.
						// Move to the next row within the current-candidate region (not the entire search region).
						// This is done by moving vertically downward from "i" (which is the upper-left pixel of the
						// current-candidate region) by "y" rows.
						k = i + y*screen_width; // Verified correct.
					}
				}
				if (found) // Complete match found.
					break;
			}
		}
	}
	else // Allow colors to vary by aVariation shades; i.e. approximate match is okay.
	{
		// The following section is part of the first-pixel-check optimization that improves performance by
		// 15% or more depending on where and whether a match is found.  This section and one the follows
		// later is commented out to reduce code size.
		// Set high/low range for the first pixel of the image since it is the pixel most often checked
		// (i.e. for performance).
		//BYTE search_red1 = GetBValue(image_pixel[0]);  // Because it's RGB vs. BGR, the B value is fetched, not R (though it doesn't matter as long as everything is internally consistent here).
		//BYTE search_green1 = GetGValue(image_pixel[0]);
		//BYTE search_blue1 = GetRValue(image_pixel[0]); // Same comment as above.
		//BYTE red_low1 = (aVariation > search_red1) ? 0 : search_red1 - aVariation;
		//BYTE green_low1 = (aVariation > search_green1) ? 0 : search_green1 - aVariation;
		//BYTE blue_low1 = (aVariation > search_blue1) ? 0 : search_blue1 - aVariation;
		//BYTE red_high1 = (aVariation > 0xFF - search_red1) ? 0xFF : search_red1 + aVariation;
		//BYTE green_high1 = (aVariation > 0xFF - search_green1) ? 0xFF : search_green1 + aVariation;
		//BYTE blue_high1 = (aVariation > 0xFF - search_blue1) ? 0xFF : search_blue1 + aVariation;
		// Above relies on the fact that the 16-bit conversion higher above was already done because like
		// in PixelSearch, it seems more appropriate to do the 16-bit conversion prior to setting the range
		// of high and low colors (vs. than applying 0xF8 to each of the high/low values individually).

BYTE red, green, blue;
		BYTE search_red, search_green, search_blue;
		BYTE red_low, green_low, blue_low, red_high, green_high, blue_high;

// The following loop is very similar to its counterpart above that finds an exact match, so maintain
		// them together and see above for more detailed comments about it.
		{
			// The following is commented out to trade code size reduction for performance (see comment above).
			//red = GetBValue(screen_pixel[i]);   // Because it's RGB vs. BGR, the B value is fetched, not R (though it doesn't matter as long as everything is internally consistent here).
			//green = GetGValue(screen_pixel[i]);
			//blue = GetRValue(screen_pixel[i]);
			//if ((red >= red_low1 && red <= red_high1
			//	&& green >= green_low1 && green <= green_high1
			//	&& blue >= blue_low1 && blue <= blue_high1 // All three color components are a match, so this screen pixel matches the image's first pixel.
			//		|| image_mask && image_mask[0]         // Or: It's an icon's transparent pixel, which matches any color.
			//		|| image_pixel[0] == trans_color)      // This should be okay even if trans_color==CLR_NONE, since CLR none should never occur naturally in the image.
			//	&& image_height <= screen_height - i/screen_width // Image is short enough to fit in the remaining rows of the search region.
			//	&& image_width <= screen_width - i%screen_width)  // Image is narrow enough not to exceed the right-side boundary of the search region.

// Instead of the above, only this abbreviated check is done:
			if (image_height <= screen_height - i/screen_width    // Image is short enough to fit in the remaining rows of the search region.
				&& image_width <= screen_width - i%screen_width)  // Image is narrow enough not to exceed the right-side boundary of the search region.
			{
				// Since the first pixel is a match, check the other pixels.
				for (found = true, x = 0, y = 0, j = 0, k = i; j < image_pixel_count; ++j)
				{
   					search_red = GetBValue(image_pixel[j]);
	   				search_green = GetGValue(image_pixel[j]);
		   			search_blue = GetRValue(image_pixel[j]);
					SET_COLOR_RANGE
   					red = GetBValue(screen_pixel[k]);
	   				green = GetGValue(screen_pixel[k]);
		   			blue = GetRValue(screen_pixel[k]);

if (!(found = red >= red_low && red <= red_high
						&& green >= green_low && green <= green_high
                        && blue >= blue_low && blue <= blue_high
							|| image_mask && image_mask[j]     // Or: It's an icon's transparent pixel, which matches any color.
							|| image_pixel[j] == trans_color)) // This should be okay even if trans_color==CLR_NONE, since CLR_NONE should never occur naturally in the image.
						break; // At least one pixel doesn't match, so this candidate is discarded.
					if (++x < image_width) // We're still within the same row of the image, so just move on to the next screen pixel.
						++k;
					else // We're starting a new row of the image.
					{
						x = 0; // Return to the leftmost column of the image.
						++y;   // Move one row downward in the image.
						k = i + y*screen_width; // Verified correct.
					}
				}
				if (found) // Complete match found.
					break;
			}
		}
	}

if (!found) // Must override ErrorLevel to its new value prior to the label below.
		g_ErrorLevel->Assign(ERRORLEVEL_ERROR); // "1" indicates search completed okay, but didn't find it.

end:
Recommends AHK Studio
Miguel7

18 Jan 2017, 22:05

Thanks for that. That bit of code is exactly what I was looking for. What I've read since my last post has been making sense, but I wasn't there yet. I'm definitely gonna work on this again over the weekend. :)

Return to “Other Programming Languages”