How to capture text output by GDI+?

Discuss other programming languages besides AutoHotkey
Miguel7

How to capture text output by GDI+?

12 Dec 2014, 18:23

Hi guys,

I have a question that I'm thinking only our resident C++ developers might know: is there a way to get text drawn by GDI+ onto a control and store it as a string?

The reason I'm asking is I've seen it done and I'd like to know how. Specifically, a popular screen reader is able to read GDI+ text, making it possible for developers to to write scripts for programs that use GDI+ when they should have used standard GUI controls. For the past few months, I've been working on this kind of script at work, and while it's coming along great it's still a complicated combination of AHK and this screen reader's proprietary scripting language (as I need certain functionality of AHK that this other language doesn't have). But I'm thinking that if I can figure out how the screen reader does it, I might be able to do the whole thing in AHK (or some other language if necessary), making it more reliable and more efficient than it is right now. It would be great to know for future projects too.

So what do you guys think? How can this be done? I don't think MSAA or UIA can do it, as they both seem to rely on actual GUI controls, which is why I'm thinking it must be a C++ thing. Anyway thanks in advance. :)

Return to “Other Programming Languages”