ONLY SciTE4AutoHotkey
14%
ONLY Pulover's Macro Creator
No votes
ONLY AHK Studio
2%
BOTH AHK Studio and SciTE4AutoHotkey
6%
BOTH SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator.
No votes
BOTH AHK Studio and Pulover's Macro Creator.
4%
ALL three: AHK Studio, SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator
54%
NEITHER
20%

Total votes: 50
joedf

[POLL] Dedicated Subforum for SciTE4AHK and/or PMC

25 Jan 2017, 19:59

This poll will run for 2 weeks. It is too address the issue of the overwhelmingly huge topics: SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator.
Please vote, whether or not these should have their own dedicated Subforums.
Vote changes are allowed up until the last day (around Feb 8-9). It is recommended to post your arguments and comments here.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

Re: [POLL] Dedicated Subforum for SciTE4AHK and/or PMC

25 Jan 2017, 20:05

AHK: Studio has more pages than s4ahk :P
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=300

maybe allow up to 3 choices and list them all separate
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
boiler

25 Jan 2017, 20:25

Yeah, I have to say that I don't really want to vote for any of the options as currently presented. I don't think the forum should limit it to one or two editors. I think it should be a forum for AHK editors of all types, and there would be threads on various topics about the range of editors out there. I currently use both SciTE4AutoHotkey and Sublime Text 3 regularly, depending on the situation. I would be interested in Notepad++ having AHK functionally on par with the other editors (and helping it get there if I am able). And I have hopes for AHK Studio eventually fitting my needs. So I'd like to be able to discuss these and other editors in such a forum.

One of the main reasons I wanted a separate forum was so there would be a place for users to share add-ons, plug-ins, etc., for some of the lesser used editors like Sublime Text. It would also be nice to not have to wade through the huge threads that exist for SciTE4AHK and Studio.

In my opinion, having a forum for just one editor (or an editor and a macro creator) would be underutilizing it and would be a missed opportunity for a more popular and useful forum.
joedf

25 Jan 2017, 20:39

Good points made. I think this is why I didn't make a poll last time...
Please resubmit your votes.
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
joedf

25 Jan 2017, 20:40

I imagine having a section with these subforums... :think:
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 00:25

I have to say, I still can't vote for any of them. You just added one more editor into the possibilities. Like I said, I'd like to have threads in the forum for other editors, such as Sublime Text and Notepad++. I don't see why we would have to name specific editors in the forum name. It should just be a forum for discussing AHK editors, in general. Then we don't even need a poll because we're not trying to limit it to the most popular or anything.

If you're going to keep the poll, to be specific, the only option I would vote for is "ANY and ALL AHK Editors (not limited)"
Xtra

26 Jan 2017, 00:36

Add an Editor sub-forum and put all editor related stuff in there or dont do it at all. That should be the options just my 2c.
xZomBie

26 Jan 2017, 02:35

Xtra wrote:Add an Editor sub-forum and put all editor related stuff in there or dont do it at all. That should be the options just my 2c.
+1 i thing having a sub-forum for all the tools in aid of developing AutoHotkey programms.
nnnik

26 Jan 2017, 07:19

I have to disagree.
Sublime Text and Notepad++ have some plugins to be able to use them with AutoHotkey that you might need to install yourself.
Scite4AutoHotkey is a heavily modified version of the scintilla wrapper specifically designed for AutoHotkey.
AHK Studio is an IDE written for and in AutoHotkey.
The level of dedication towards AutoHotkey of the latter 2 is entirely different then that of the first 2.
I don't see how they deserve the same treatment.
Recommends AHK Studio
hoppfrosch

26 Jan 2017, 07:55

I agree to nnik.

My opinion: only "major" tools/scripts should get their own subforum - beside the mentioned three (S4AHK, AHKStudio, MacroRecorder) ones I don't see many who deserve this "honour" ATM ...
nnnik

26 Jan 2017, 08:02

hoppfrosch wrote:I agree to nnik.

My opinion: only "major" tools/scripts should get their own subforum - beside the mentioned three (S4AHK, AHKStudio, MacroRecorder) ones I don't see many who deserve this "honour" ATM ...
there is also AutoHotkey_H though.
Recommends AHK Studio
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 08:44

Not looking for a place for Sublime Text and Notepad++ to get any "honour". Just looking for a place to discuss them which is easy to find.

Let me ask you this, then. What would you actually name this new forum? "SciTE4AutoHotkey, AHK Studio, and Pulover's Macro Creator"? Why wouldn't you call it "AHK Editors"? And in such a forum, serious question that I'd like an answer to: How does it hurt to allow threads for the other editors in that forum?. Why would you put an unnecessary restriction on it? What purpose does that serve?

Why not at least let the members vote on the option to allow discussion for any editors? There has already been support shown in this thread, but no option representing their position. And some or many of the voters who already chose all 3 may well have chosen any since they have chosen the most inclusive option.
haichen

26 Jan 2017, 09:23

"Editors" or "AHK Editors" or "Editors for AHK" ..something like that.

"There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" as Richard Feynman said.
hoppfrosch

26 Jan 2017, 09:31

boiler wrote: How does it hurt to allow threads for the other editors in that forum?. Why would you put an unnecessary restriction on it? What purpose does that serve?
I really don't have any passion on this but on the other hand, there should be some restriction criteria on creating subforums. I would rather ask: What qualifies those threads to get a seaprate subforum? Without any clear rules, anyone whose thread might get longer than 2 pages, containing different questions might ask/cry for a subforum. (What about GDIP-Thread for example?). Having subfora for too many threads is as unclear as having monster threads ...

As I said: Principially it's all the same for me

@nnik: for sure Autohothey_H deserves it own subforum as well
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 09:39

I'm not saying that a sub-forum should be created for each of them. I don't see why it wouldn't be one sub-forum in which all editors are discussed. Wouldn't it be much better to have a forum that had several threads on SciTE4AHK, PMC, and AHK Studio, and also an occasional thread on some other editors? Why not make the forum more general? What purpose at all is there to limit it to only certain named ones?
jNizM

26 Jan 2017, 09:47

If we got wishes this would be mine:
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
nnnik

26 Jan 2017, 10:05

boiler wrote:Not looking for a place for Sublime Text and Notepad++ to get any "honour". Just looking for a place to discuss them which is easy to find.

Let me ask you this, then. What would you actually name this new forum? "SciTE4AutoHotkey, AHK Studio, and Pulover's Macro Creator"? Why wouldn't you call it "AHK Editors"? And in such a forum, serious question that I'd like an answer to: How does it hurt to allow threads for the other editors in that forum?. Why would you put an unnecessary restriction on it? What purpose does that serve?

Why not at least let the members vote on the option to allow discussion for any editors? There has already been support shown in this thread, but no option representing their position. And some or many of the voters who already chose all 3 may well have chosen any since they have chosen the most inclusive option.
Simply put these will get a subforum each with their own unique subforum ( similar to the gaming subform ) at least that's how I understood it.
Since that takes up space on the page it is a ressource that should be restricted to the things that really need/deserve it. I'm guessing that Notepad++ or Sublime doesn't need more than 3 or 4 threads. So there is no need for a subforum.
Scite4AutoHotkey and especially AHKStudio have a lot of potential talking that needs to be done.
Recommends AHK Studio
guest3456

26 Jan 2017, 10:12

boiler wrote:I'm not saying that a sub-forum should be created for each of them. I don't see why it wouldn't be one sub-forum in which all editors are discussed. Wouldn't it be much better to have a forum that had several threads on SciTE4AHK, PMC, and AHK Studio, and also an occasional thread on some other editors? Why not make the forum more general? What purpose at all is there to limit it to only certain named ones?
+1. boiler is correct

nnnik wrote: there is also AutoHotkey_H though.
hoppfrosch wrote: @nnik: for sure Autohothey_H deserves it own subforum as well
so is nnik and hoppfrosch

fincs

26 Jan 2017, 10:42

A long time ago, motivated by the unreadable mess that my own SciTE4AutoHotkey thread had become (and still is); I suggested creating a new forum section in which support threads related to AutoHotkey script editors as well as release announcements could be created. At the time, the forum staff had a private discussion, however it didn't really go anywhere. Some proposed names for the section in the discussion included "Tools of the Trade" and "Scripting Tools". It looks that, despite the passage of time, there is still considerable support for such a forum section to be added. I'd like to point out that my original proposal would apply to all editors instead of arbitrarily selecting which programs to support. Also, would existing editor threads be moved there? Would they be locked in order to make way for better organized support threads? Maybe they could be locked on request of their authors (I would lock the S4AHK thread)? Would editor release threads be stickied/locked and would only their OPs be allowed to post in them? All of these issues would probably need to be clarified.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
m3user

26 Jan 2017, 10:45

AutoHotkey_H for sure!

Return to “Announcements”