ONLY SciTE4AutoHotkey
14%
ONLY Pulover's Macro Creator
No votes
ONLY AHK Studio
2%
BOTH AHK Studio and SciTE4AutoHotkey
6%
BOTH SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator.
No votes
BOTH AHK Studio and Pulover's Macro Creator.
4%
ALL three: AHK Studio, SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator
54%
NEITHER
20%

Total votes: 50
nnnik

Re: [POLL] Dedicated Subforum for SciTE4AHK and/or PMC

26 Jan 2017, 10:58

@fincs Maybe we could split the big topics into several smaller topics.
Recommends AHK Studio
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 11:27

I hesitate to post again since I feel like fincs' post should just about end the debate, in my opinion. However, to respond to one particular point:
nnnik wrote:Since that takes up space on the page it is a ressource that should be restricted to the things that really need/deserve it.
Having only one sub-forum for all editors takes even less space on the page than having separate ones for the most popular 2 or 3 editors.
tidbit

26 Jan 2017, 11:34

This is what I expected. Very minimal screen space used. each one gets a subforum where people can discuss/ask/share about that tool/script/whatever. Nice and simple.
AHK_H gets its own main forum like AHKv2 because well, it's a branch of ahk, not a script. And a very developed good branch at that.
And make the creator(s) of these scripts full moderators of their own subforum, if possible. So they can close/delete/whatever stuff as needed

Additionally, I think anything that gets over 30 pages should get added to the HOF section. assuming it's not 30 pages of bumps/spam. (I know GDI+ isn't 30 pages long, but it was 93(!) on the old forum, and tons of people make stuff with it)

And just because we add these sections doesn't mean the owners of the scripts/other have to be active in maintaining/moderating/helping/fixing things. It's just for organizing popular topics for readability.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 14:03

That approach doesn't provide a place for threads of lesser-used editors that don't warrant a place in a "Hall of Fame" as far as AHK goes but still have plenty of reason to have AHK-related discussion (to get the latest AHK-specfic plugins, keyword lists, just to let people know of their existence for AHK users, etc.).
Entropy42

26 Jan 2017, 15:22

I think the idea of a "Scripting Tools" Subforum that contains Subforums for AHKStudio, SCITE, and macro Creator seems like a great division. Anything not pertaining to those 3 just goes in the main subforum, and they all still have their own, like Ask for Help >> Gaming. When I was brand new to AHK, I really wanted to find something better than Notepad, and a forum like that would help centralize those resources for newbies.
TLM

26 Jan 2017, 17:48

It might get a little thick if S4A and AHkS are in the same thread..
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 18:11

I don't think anyone is suggesting they would be in the same thread. There would be various threads on whatever topics people raise for whatever editor.

The idea that there is a forum devoted to all of these tools in general with the big 3 (or more) getting their own subforum (like gaming does in a couple forums) is a good idea. It's like tidbit drew up, but there could be threads in the main part about the rest of the tools that didn't merit their own sub-forum. This only works if you call it something different than "Hall of Fame" because the threads that go into the main forum would be for the "smaller" tools. I personally don't see why there needs to be sub-forums within it, but I don't have a problem with it either as long as I can post about other tools in the main part.
tidbit

26 Jan 2017, 18:13

boiler: what about the existing "Other Utilities & Resources"? any random editor is a utility/resource. can easily make topics about other editors in there.
There's already a handful of topics scattered around about np++, sublime, and others. but as mentioned, they are not common and only a few go beyond 1 page of replies. Just because something has ahk highlighting doesn't mean in needs to have a major focus. and if we have a general "editors" section, I bet all the minor np++/other threads would still get buried by replies to the popular ones, thus we run into the same issue. Might aswell let the lesser popular topics get buried in "Other Utilities & Resources" (which will take a while as that place moves slowly)

There is also this topic which links to some popular threads/editors if people want to see what is available.

edit, but Yes, Hall of Fame could be renamed to something else to allow popular things and a more general list of things ("Other Utilities & Resources" :P)
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 18:29

tidbit wrote:they are not common and only a few go beyond 1 page of replies.
This is why I'd like to have a forum dedicated to editors. It would give people a place to look, and I think they would get more attention. That area down there gets thought of as "non-AHK" discussion, so I think people looking for alternative AHK editors (or looking to discuss the one they're using if it's not one of the very popular ones) don't think to look there.
tidbit wrote:and if we have a general "editors" section, I bet all the minor np++/other threads would still get buried by replies to the popular ones, thus we run into the same issue.
I think if it's just editors, it wouldn't happen for two reasons. (1) There aren't a whole bunch of non-editor topics to help bury them, and more importantly (2) people would know that there potentially is discussion about how to use Notepad++ or Sublime Text for AHK in that forum, which they are more likely to overlook in the "Other Utilities..." forum.

One other thing. If the major ones had their own sub-forums within this new forum as your pic suggests, then the "main" part of the forum would be populated only with threads on the "others" and not get buried.
tidbit

26 Jan 2017, 18:54

One other thing. If the major ones had their own sub-forums within this new forum as your pic suggests, then the "main" part of the forum would be populated only with threads on the "others" and not get buried.
yup, thus my post edit. you posted while I was typing and I then saw your suggestion so I edited mine to say that's a possible good idea.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
kon

26 Jan 2017, 18:54

This is my current preference:

Code: Select all

AutoHotkey
├─Ask for Help
  ├─Gaming
├─Scripts and Functions
  ├─Gaming
├─Tools
  ├─AHK Studio
  ├─AutoGUI
  ├─Pulover's Macro Creator
  ├─SciTE4AutoHotkey
├─Tutorials
├─Wish List
├─Bug Reports
├─Autohotkey v2 Development
├─AutoHotkey_H
├─Annoucements
  • "[AutoHotkey Programming Tools]" currently stickied in the Scripts and Functions forum could be moved and stickied to "Tools"
  • If no subforum is available for a particular tool, you can create a topic thread in the main Tools section.
  • "Tools" is for things that help with AutoHotkey scripting. "Other utilities and resources" as the name suggests would be for stuff not directly related to AHK scripting.
  • I included AutoGUI in the list. I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already, but I admittedly haven't used it much yet.
  • Maybe other editor threads (ex: the Setup Notepad++ for AHK tutorial) could be stickied in the main Tools section as well. (undecided)
tidbit

26 Jan 2017, 20:45

mildly offtopic but since we're discussing this, I have mentioned something plenty of times:
there should be a "General" section for ahk. probably 80%+ of the topics in OffTopic are AHK related. But they should not be in offtopic as AHK is pretty much the topic of this site.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
TLM

26 Jan 2017, 22:03

boiler wrote:I don't think anyone is suggesting they would be in the same thread. There would be various threads on whatever topics people raise for whatever editor
my bad - reread it..
boiler

26 Jan 2017, 22:34

+1 to everything kon said.
lexikos

27 Jan 2017, 04:06

tidbit wrote:AHK_H gets its own main forum like AHKv2 because well, it's a branch of ahk, not a script.
AutoHotkey v2 doesn't have a sub-forum just because it's a branch of AutoHotkey. There is a sub-forum for "AutoHotkey v2 Development" which was supposed to be for discussions of exactly that; not about asking for help with using v2 or sharing scripts, but about contributing to its development in some way. I think that topics about AutoHotkey_H would rarely be about "discussing its future" and usually be asking for help, reporting bugs, etc.

I think that help requests, bug reports and wishes should go in their respective forums regardless of which branch they are for, not lumped together into one sub-forum based on the fork, or even into separate sub-sub-forums. (If I don't move topics from the v2 forum, that doesn't mean I think they're in the correct place; maybe I'm just lazy or apathetic.)
joedf

27 Jan 2017, 09:53

AHK_H, there is no doubt about that one: many like the idea. However, that is a separate matter for another time.

Now for S4AHK, AHKStudio, PMC: as mentioned already, they are all written in (or at least partly) and for AHK.
I then understand that we have the issue of "what about all the other tools?". True, I understand this issue, but if we keep tripping right now. We will never get anywhere. The main point of this poll was to see if subforums should even be considered. Additionally, SublimeText already has it's own forum. So does Notepad++. The topics here should purely be about the AHK "plugin" and not the actual editor.
lexikos wrote:[...] maybe I'm just lazy or apathetic.
You say maybe? ... ;)

EDIT: Kon, presents a very interesting compromise. :thumbup: (here's a cookie for you :cookie: )
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
boiler

27 Jan 2017, 10:08

joedf wrote:Additionally, SublimeText already has it's own forum. So does Notepad++. The topics here should purely be about the AHK "plugin" and not the actual editor.
Of course this has only to do with using these editors with AHK, not to be a forum for these editors in general. There is plenty to be discussed about these specifically regarding their use for AHK.

As long as the sub-forums you are saying the poll is about is that they would be "sub-sub-forums" to a sub-forum dedicated to these types of tools in general (allowing other tools to be discussed in the main part of the sub-forum), then I think we're on the same page.
guest3456

27 Jan 2017, 10:11

dont like the options, voted 'neither'

joedf

27 Jan 2017, 10:13

boiler wrote:
joedf wrote:Additionally, SublimeText already has it's own forum. So does Notepad++. The topics here should purely be about the AHK "plugin" and not the actual editor.
Of course this has only to do with using these editors with AHK, not to be a forum for these editors in general. There is plenty to be discussed about these specifically regarding their use for AHK.

As long as the sub-forums you are saying the poll is about is that they would be "sub-sub-forums" to a sub-forum dedicated to these types of tools in general (allowing other tools to be discussed in the main part of the sub-forum), then I think we're on the same page.
Great! :thumbup:
guest3456 wrote:dont like the options, voted 'neither'
I want to try and be fair to all. I am very interested in knowing your thoughts about this. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
guest3456

27 Jan 2017, 10:19

joedf wrote:I want to try and be fair to all.
limiting the forum to 3 editors only isnt really being 'fair to all', but i think this entire discussion is over such a minor issue that any outcome is pretty irrelevant
joedf wrote:I am very interested in knowing your thoughts about this. :)
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 66#p128166

Return to “Announcements”