ONLY SciTE4AutoHotkey
14%
ONLY Pulover's Macro Creator
No votes
ONLY AHK Studio
2%
BOTH AHK Studio and SciTE4AutoHotkey
6%
BOTH SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator.
No votes
BOTH AHK Studio and Pulover's Macro Creator.
4%
ALL three: AHK Studio, SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator
54%
NEITHER
20%

Total votes: 50
boiler

Re: [POLL] Dedicated Subforum for SciTE4AHK and/or PMC

27 Jan 2017, 10:23

If I understand joedf's latest posts correctly, there would be no limitation to 3 editors. It would just be that those may have their own sub-sub-forums within a sub-forum for editors/tools that would be open to discuss all editors/tools as long as the discussion is regarding their use for AHK. Do I have that right?
Capbat

27 Jan 2017, 10:34

The more subforum the better.
If they are not popular, just close them.

Bat
joedf

27 Jan 2017, 21:43

boiler wrote:If I understand joedf's latest posts correctly, there would be no limitation to 3 editors. It would just be that those may have their own sub-sub-forums within a sub-forum for editors/tools that would be open to discuss all editors/tools as long as the discussion is regarding their use for AHK. Do I have that right?
Yeah actually, more or less. :+1:
@guest2345 About being fair, I have to start somewhere... I'm not going to start listing every single editor, tool, etc used for/with AHK ever :p
It will be on a "needed" basis, we will add new ones if some ask for it. Kind of like what Captbat says... :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
davebrny

28 Jan 2017, 15:00

sub-sub forums for each program under a generic name like kon suggested seems like the sensible way to go. having separate sub-forums for each one might make sense now but what happens in the future if/when things change and other programs become as popular as these ones or the current programs become less popular?
tidbit

28 Jan 2017, 17:44

we made it 13+(?) years only for a few to be needed :P (in the past there probably would have only been a few too, like monster(), com(), and gdip). Unless AHK gets mega-popular soon, I can barely imagine more than 1 would be added per year, if that. Especially if ahkv2 comes out, eventually they'll become obsolete and get replaced (not added. unless a Legacy section is added. Or we get a new forum) with newer alternatives.

As I mentioned earlier, we should probably have a rule(s) for "what's hot". Possibly page count and if it's not just bumps/spam. IMO 25-30 pages is enough to give it its own subforum. Make some rules so it's not opinion based so people don't complain about "you didn't add this because you don't like it!" or ask "I made this cool thing plx make me subforum for managing".
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
joedf

28 Jan 2017, 20:37

@tidbit yes, I was think about rules to set up the other day... I agree, a minimum of 25pages and/or minimum number of views?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

28 Jan 2017, 20:47

IMO views are useless. IIRC, it goes up every time the author also views his topic (could be wrong). aswell as anyone else. Not unique views. Posts show more interest as someone could go in the view and they think it's rubbish, and leave with no reply. But the view would still +=1.
open topic, set tab to reload every 30sec, go to work/school, 8 hours later, 960+ views :P
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

28 Jan 2017, 21:20

Ok, then min of 25pages it is. :+1:
FanaticGuru

31 Jan 2017, 14:37

kon wrote:This is my current preference:

Code: Select all

AutoHotkey
├─Ask for Help
  ├─Gaming
├─Scripts and Functions
  ├─Gaming
├─Tools
  ├─AHK Studio
  ├─AutoGUI
  ├─Pulover's Macro Creator
  ├─SciTE4AutoHotkey
├─Tutorials
├─Wish List
├─Bug Reports
├─Autohotkey v2 Development
├─AutoHotkey_H
├─Annoucements
This looks pretty good to me.

Having a section for Tools for general discuss about tools and then sub-sections for the most popular tools.

What qualifies a tool for being popular enough to warrant its on sub-section, I don't know but if a tool does not show enough activity or goes dormant then it can be folded back into the general Tools section.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks
Capbat

03 Feb 2017, 12:48

Agree with FanaticGuru above. :D
A Tool/Editor Forum with all available and published Tool and or Editor.

Voilà.

Bat
tidbit

03 Feb 2017, 13:15

not "all available and published". as I explained above, it needs to be based on popularity. 25+ pages tells us it's a popular tool and would benefit from its own organized section to avoid clutter.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Capbat

04 Feb 2017, 10:36

@tidbit

I agree that non popular tools or editors should eventually be relinquish to let say a more general section of this forum. But they first have to be identified as such. The process of doing so would only be to give them a space (section), in order to eventually 'calculate/evaluate' their vitality of existence.
My idea of a structure would be in either Tool/Editor or Tools and Editor, To have a section on General Tools and/or General Editors or both, and in that section all tools or editors witch wouldn't make it in popularity would reside. All others, getting a popularity 'rating' would have their own sub forum section below the General Forum Section. Still all have to be first, 'measured'.
Now, as far as what is 'popular', 'ratings', 'calculate', 'vitality' etc is most probably matter for another discussion.

Cordially

Bat.
joedf

04 Feb 2017, 11:52

Not everyone would rate... :/
tidbit

04 Feb 2017, 12:01

what joedf said.

easiest non-bias way to determine what gets its own section is page count. and just glance over it to make sure it's not a bunch of spammy posts just to get its own section.

25-30 pages shows its popular. it's a pretty big milestone, not many topics get there before they die. there's no voting (which would probably be biased as people who don't use the tool won't vote, those who do, will vote) so that means no one is to blame for not making so-and-so's tool its own section. It'd be community driven. it avoids the "you admins just don't like <tool/person/script> so you won't do this" issue. if they meet the threshold, congrats. if it sinks to the depths of the forum before then, oh well, it had its run and same chance as all other scripts/tools.

K.I.S.S.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
nnnik

05 Feb 2017, 03:22

What if a script rather spawns new topics then creating replies to it's own topic?
It still is popular but wouldn't count as popular in your sense.
Recommends AHK Studio
jNizM

07 Feb 2017, 05:13

I would add:

Code: Select all

AutoHotkey
├─Ask for Help
  ├─Gaming
  ├─Hotkey related topics
  ├─Gui related Topics

├─AutoHotkey_H
  ├─Ask for Help
  ├─Scripts and Functions
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
joedf

07 Feb 2017, 08:29

That matter has been mentioned many times. As it is a different matter, I suggest we have a separate poll after this one.
Bones

09 Feb 2017, 09:42

Well, I just use Scite4AutoHotkey but I voted for all three.

But I don't know how many layers of nesting the Sub-Forums can have.
ie can you have one called "Tools of the Trade" ^ which then has various separate sub-Forums underneath it, one for each Scripting tool?
tank

09 Feb 2017, 11:29

am and always will be against an editor specific forum,
that said a sub-forum for editor advancement could be useful.
popular AHK forks such as AHK_H maybe as there could be useful syntactical discussions that can and should have a special home

End of the day tho this forum is for our community and that is the will we should follow. good job posting a poll but i think its a bit to focused and misses a few points.

The above are my opinions only and whatever the community decides is what gets done
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “Announcements”