ONLY SciTE4AutoHotkey
14%
ONLY Pulover's Macro Creator
No votes
ONLY AHK Studio
2%
BOTH AHK Studio and SciTE4AutoHotkey
6%
BOTH SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator.
No votes
BOTH AHK Studio and Pulover's Macro Creator.
4%
ALL three: AHK Studio, SciTE4AutoHotkey and Pulover's Macro Creator
54%
NEITHER
20%

Total votes: 50
guest3456

Re: [POLL] Dedicated Subforum for SciTE4AHK and/or PMC

09 Feb 2017, 11:59

tank wrote:am and always will be against an editor specific forum,
+1

tank wrote: End of the day tho this forum is for our community and that is the will we should follow. good job posting a poll but i think its a bit to focused and misses a few points.
exactly, the poll options are too limited

Capbat

11 Feb 2017, 12:35

Hi.

Ok deadline is past. So what our administrators going to do now?

Bat.
joedf

11 Feb 2017, 14:29

Well, it seems a Tools forums is what most had in mind. I realise the options weren't perfect.
Now, I am unsure. It's 3 subforums within the scripts section vs. a tools subforum?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Capbat

12 Feb 2017, 10:41

@Joachin

Yes, comments and suggestions where also sometimes vague, but as you say I think Tools Forum with dedicated or specified subforums id: Scite, AHK Studio etc would fit the bill.

Of course for qualified tools> :roll:

Joedf, with your name you surely can speak french?

AHKly Bat.
tidbit

12 Feb 2017, 11:42

I'd go with something like what was suggested here: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 24#p129024
(except autogui. replace it with gdip as that's popular and meets the page count requirements we set)

even though I too don't like the "tools" (I prefer Hall of Fame :P), the majority seems to have wanted "tools". Though, what is considered a "tool"? anything that helps with something is basically a tool, so every function, aimbot and launcher. Or are we talking full programs with a gui and whatnot (in that case, popular topics like gdip will remain spread everywhere and overgrown)?

we are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. can't please everyone. If some don't like how it gets added, tough. atleast it was created. and it can always be renamed or changed in the future to make it stricter/looser.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
kon

12 Feb 2017, 11:45

I like including gdip.
Question: Wouldn't it be better categorized as a subforum of scripts? It's not really a tool? It would fit in a "Hall of Fame" category though...
boiler

12 Feb 2017, 12:13

tidbit wrote:what is considered a "tool"? anything that helps with something is basically a tool, so every function, aimbot and launcher. Or are we talking full programs with a gui and whatnot (in that case, popular topics like gdip will remain spread everywhere and overgrown)?
The intention for "tool" (at least by me, and I'm pretty sure others) is a tool that helps in the process of writing autohotkey code. That would exclude aimbots and launchers. "AutoHotkey Tools" should be interpreted as tools for AutoHotkey, not tools written in AutoHotkey (although of course they can be written in AHK or something else). With this view of an AutoHotkey tool, it would be okay to include a tool that isn't a full separate program with a GUI of its own (like gdip), although it seems most would.
joedf

12 Feb 2017, 17:01

@Capbat Yes :) French, German, Mandarin, Spanish. I'm trying to some russian, my spanish isnt perfect yet :p
@boiler has a point.
Also, "hall of fame" sounds fancy cool :D
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

12 Feb 2017, 17:06

boilers explanation sounds exactly like Scripts and Functions, as it currently is. then just toss on sub-forums (next to Gaming) for popular things (25+ pages = gets subforum). IMO, that would be fine. less clutter on the main page (if you can call 1 more section 'clutter')
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
boiler

12 Feb 2017, 17:32

If that's how you (and you think others) would interpret it, then I think it should be named "AutoHotkey Editors and Other Tools" to differentiate it from handy functions and the like, because that's not at all what it's meant to be. In fact, it probably should have the name Editors in it or else people might broaden its' meaning and muddy it up with their scripts and functions that they consider a "tool". It's meant to be a place where discussion is about the use of specific existing and significant tools for writing code, not for people to post their "tool" that they just wrote. Thinking about it more, gdip doesn't fit either.

For example, if someone has an updated list of keywords for use in autocomplete with Notepad++, that doesn't fit in Scripts and Functions at all. It would belong in this new forum because it's about using Notepad++ for AHK scripting. It's not a script, and it's not a function. Currently, the supposed home for that kind of thing is in Other Utilities & Resources, which people don't even look at for AHK-related stuff because it's grouped under "General", not "AutoHotkey".
joedf

12 Feb 2017, 18:49

I imagine this brings in the question of what is a function, script vs what is a library...
Unless, we are to differentiate them? Say it would be called "AutHotkey Tools & Libraries"? :think: :?:
hoppfrosch

13 Feb 2017, 01:07

I'm not quite sure, if 25 pages is the best criteria: within such a huge thread a lot of different aspects get buried and a lot of information is distributed ... Digging through such a thread while looking for some interesting info is a pain in the a... (at least in my eyes).
If we use this criteria, maybe the considered mega-threads should be split up into it's single "sub-threads" when moving to its dedicated subforum - but I cannot imagine how this can be done properly (as many answers/replies refer to many questions/suggestions at once.)

+1 for tidbits suggestion on make subforums within "scripts and functions" - I would prefer to have subforums on bottom of page rather than on top: having a few subforums you would always have to scroll down to see the new issues from the main page. Opening a page you should see the main infos on the top of first page - having all the subforums listed on top distracts from contents on the main page.
boiler

13 Feb 2017, 06:46

Having a few sub-forums within Scripts & Functions for the most popular tools would have totally lost the only reason I have been interested in and advocating for this new forum for editors (and other tools). If that's what is going to be done, then we still would have no good place to discuss AHK use of other editors like Notepad++ and Sublime text.

Somehow this whole discussion has morphed from "let's create a place to discuss this separate and important subject" into only "let's break out the big threads in Scripts and Functions to their own sub-forums". I think the whole reason for this is the way the poll was formed has gotten everyone to focus on which tools should have their own sub-sub-forum rather than the usefulness/need for a place to discuss this subject in general.

How about not creating a separate sub-sub-forum for each popular tool at all? Just create an "AutoHotkey Editors and Tools" sub-forum, and allow threads on all of them as well as the others? I don't really see a big benefit on having a special sub-forum for SciTE4Autohotkey and the others in the big 3 or 4 anyway. How many new threads do you expect for each of these? Just put the tool name in the thread topic and they would be easy to find in this new sub-forum for editors and tools.
boiler

13 Feb 2017, 06:54

Here's a suggestion based on the above thoughts that is an intermediate step that perhaps everyone could be happy with:

Create a new sub-forum under the AutoHotkey topic group called Editors and Other Tools. Don't include any sub-sub-forums for the big 3 or 4, at least to start. See how many separate threads get created for each of the tools. If the number of threads in this sub-forum become so many that it overwhelms the sub-forum, then create a sub-sub-forum within it for that tool. It would be very easy at that point to simply move those threads from the general sub-forum to its own new sub-sub-forum.
tidbit

13 Feb 2017, 11:47

lets just do this. get it over with. the deadline is passed.
create a section: Editors and Other Tools (it can be renamed later if needed)
create 4 subforums: GDIP, Scite4Autohotkey, AutoHotkey Studio and Pulovers Macro Creator
create a section: AutoHotkey_H Development
possibly create a subforum for questions and/or scripts

create a pinned topic for continuing feedback/ideas (probably move this topic there and pin it. no longer needs to be announced)
we can iron out ideas as they arise instead of endless back-and-forth (we don't know what will happen until people start posting)
after a month or two, it should all be completely settles, can't please everyone.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
boiler

13 Feb 2017, 12:29

Sounds good to me if "section" and "subforum" are equivalent to "Ask For Help" as a section, and it has its general forum for posting threads and it also has its Gaming subforum within it. And would this section be with the broader "AutoHotkey" grouping of sections? (currently consisting of "Ask For Help", "Scripts and Functions", "Tutorials", etc., and would now include "Editors and Other Tools")
tidbit

13 Feb 2017, 12:32

like this, but as mentioned in the previous post:
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

13 Feb 2017, 18:20

If no one gets to it before me, I will do it either Wednesday or Thursday night. Since I have 2 midterms this Wednesday. :P

Return to “Announcements”