[closed][POLL] Commissions sub-forum

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Commission Sub-forum

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2017, 23:32

Yes, I want there to be a commission sub-forum!
45%
No, I don't want there to be a commission sub-forum!
55%

Total votes: 55
Masonjar13

[closed][POLL] Commissions sub-forum

13 Aug 2017, 23:32

We are aware that more than a few users are interested in hiring someone to code for them, rather than do it themselves, and commission posts are currently made in Ask for Help. The proposal here is to make a dedicated sub-forum for commissions. While the rules aren't yet set, ABSOLUTELY NO selling or advertising of products. Commissions are a service. They will also be limited to the AutoHotkey language, no exceptions. If you want to request for another language, I'd recommend taking it to a more relevant community, or you can try the Other Programming Languages sub-forum.

As mentioned, there are currently no set rules [besides the ones mentioned]. These will be officially implemented if the poll is in favor of creating this sub-forum.

The poll will run until September 12th.
Nwb

Re: [POLL] Commissions sub-forum

14 Aug 2017, 07:45

+1 there's no reason why this shouldn't be allowed.
I am your average ahk newbie. Just.. a tat more cute. ;)
Gio

14 Aug 2017, 10:29

Sounds like an interesting idea.
They will also be limited to the AutoHotkey language, no exceptions.
What about "accessory" languages such as SQL and JavaScript/HTML? Will they be allowed discussion if integrated to an AutoHotkey scripted solution?
kczx3

14 Aug 2017, 10:41

I am voting for the addition of a sub-forum mostly just to get those sort of requests out of the Ask For Help as they get annoying and create clutter. Whether we have a dedicated area or not, people are going to ask for others to write code for payment. At least this way, there is an area for it and if I want to peruse those requests, then I know where to go.
joedf

14 Aug 2017, 11:04

Oh yes, It must be ahk related, accessory languages are fine as long as the core is running on AHK.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
BoBo

14 Aug 2017, 11:16

kczx3 wrote:I am voting for the addition of a sub-forum mostly just to get those sort of requests out of the Ask For Help as they get annoying and create clutter. Whether we have a dedicated area or not, people are going to ask for others to write code for payment. At least this way, there is an area for it and if I want to peruse those requests, then I know where to go.
I can't see that an existing (Gaming) sub-forum has hindered a majority of (ignorant) gamers flooding "Ask for Help" with Autoclick [HELP]-threads on a daily basis. Therefore I'd opt for a separate forum (eg like the language related forums) to keep things strictly separated.

PS: for tiny projects/requests I'd like to see an option available to fund/sponsor the AHK community/Foundation (eg via PayPal or Patreon ...?) eg with 0.99 - 5.00€ per job
... like :arrow: Donationcoder.
RickC

14 Aug 2017, 11:43

I agree with Gio that it's an interesting idea, if only to be able to suggest it to (mostly new) forum members who make it clear they have absolutely no interest in AHK per se nor in using the docs or search.

I've seen several requests for help to automate workflows, data entry, etc. which are obviously work-related and, I must admit, I have more sympathy with these than the myriad 'I wanna spam some key' requests so I've cast my vote to see what happens in practice, if agreed.
kczx3

14 Aug 2017, 11:54

BoBo wrote:PS: for tiny projects/requests I'd like to see an option available to fund/sponsor the AHK community/Foundation (eg via PayPal or Patreon ...?) eg with 0.99 - 5.00€ per job
... like :arrow: Donationcoder.
I really like this idea!
joedf

14 Aug 2017, 12:00

+1 DonationCoder
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
obeeb

14 Aug 2017, 13:29

This POLL is really missing some standard options:
  • I had no idea this is a thing
  • I don't care
Nextron

14 Aug 2017, 13:52

Does the quantity of these posts really warrant a dedicated subforum? :think:
Googling on site:autohotkey.com hire OR pay limiting results on the last year doesn't really show many relevant topics.
geek

14 Aug 2017, 14:24

Would running a forum for people to conduct freelance/commission/donation based work come with any legal problems that we wouldn't otherwise have?
joedf

14 Aug 2017, 14:28

joedf wrote:Nothing illegal about having a "jobs" forums. We keep OUR services free and open which is hosting the forums and provide downloads.
We're not profiting from that. And even if we did, the funds would be for the foundation paying for hosting, etc. that's it :|
Masonjar13

14 Aug 2017, 15:56

@BoBo, I had a semi-structured idea for getting funds to the organization, I just don't want to state it explicitly until it's completely figured out. It should prove quite useful to all parties :)

Regarding "Why have a separate sub-forum?," it is, for one, to clean up the Ask for Help a bit. It's certainly the most used sub we have here, and I think separating them would be better to discern who just wants something done for them and who wants to learn. Just as well, this opens up opportunity for people to make a bit of money here, if they so choose. Note that this would technically fall under freelancing, so those who intend to pick up jobs, please check with your local laws regarding taxes and such.

Having a dedicated sub-forum would also promote people requesting for commission based work, which in turn would allow more opportunity for the veteran users who dedicate so much of their time here.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
tank

14 Aug 2017, 16:34

Whoa!
Masonjar13 wrote: I had a semi-structured idea for getting funds to the organization,
That really can't be part of this plan. I am all for giving folks a way to ask for paid help but our hand simply cant be in the pot
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Masonjar13

14 Aug 2017, 17:08

No problem, tank! Idea scratched then. Partially the reason I didn't explicitly say anything ;)

For those who would like to support the organization via the commission sub then may use the donation link, either directly from whoever is paying (can't say that we can confirm donations or not), or sent from the receiving end. Transaction handling is completely up to the persons involved (except for the presence of any rules that may be set.. such rules would be in place only for safety purposes).
obeeb

14 Aug 2017, 18:22

What will you guys do if(when) there will be problems between people either not paying or not getting what they payed for? If you will have an official sub forum people will expect you to get involved.
geek

14 Aug 2017, 19:11

I'd refer them to the guidelines stickied at the top of the forum which would include a section at the top in bold letters stating that we claim no liability for any transfers of wealth, goods, or services, monetary or otherwise, then stonewall them if they continue.

This comment does not necessarily reflect the views of AutoHotkey LLC
Masonjar13

14 Aug 2017, 19:15

obeeb wrote:What will you guys do if(when) there will be problems between people either not paying or not getting what they payed for? If you will have an official sub forum people will expect you to get involved.
I thought you didn't care?

As mentioned, we will have some rules in place. They will only extend to what we are able to actually deal with. No point in having rules that can't be enforced. I'm not currently sure what we can and can't enforce exactly, so I can't tell you much right now. Ultimately, it is up to the involved parties to ensure the deal is upheld. There are many escrow services publicly available. Perhaps I'll do some research and sticky one (or multiple) that would be appropriate to use.

(GeekDude got to it before me :P)

Somewhere along those lines, yes. A disclaimer will also be in place. TBD.
tank

14 Aug 2017, 19:35

Of course we cannot get involved. Part of the rules has to state that any transactions are between the two parties involved solely and that autohotkey Foundation is not part of the deal. We will not arbitrate negotiate or in any other way get involved in any official capacity with the business dealings between two parties arranging pay for for work
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “Announcements”