[closed][POLL] Commissions sub-forum

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Commission Sub-forum

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2017, 23:32

Yes, I want there to be a commission sub-forum!
45%
No, I don't want there to be a commission sub-forum!
55%

Total votes: 55
joedf

Re: [POLL] Commissions sub-forum

15 Aug 2017, 17:31

Yes, I confirm and approve what GeekDude says.
also, +1 Masonjar13
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
RickC

15 Aug 2017, 18:12

Masonjar13 wrote:
RickC wrote:Ummm... on whose behalf are you replying? The OP? Confused... Perhaps you could explain your reply.
This thread is about having a commissions sub-forum, not about AHK merch or AHK making any income. It deviated slightly, but, to everyone, please do not reply here with anything else regarding that. As mentioned, there is a new thread for that where it may be discussed.

Please stay on-topic for the rest of the poll duration, thank you. :)
I wasn't aware that I was off-topic... and note that more than 50% of responses to this thread are apparently from AHK forum staff. :)

(It looks like member names in red are 'Forum Admin', member names in light green are 'Forum Mods'' and member names in light purple are 'Spam Officers'. My apologies if I have this wrong.)

Is my opinion as a mere forum member less valid?
joedf

15 Aug 2017, 18:16

RickC wrote:[...] Is my opinion as a mere forum member less valid?
NO! Never! Your opinion is very important and relevant otherwise this would only be in the staff forum.
We want to specifically hear from everyday users out there :)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Masonjar13

15 Aug 2017, 18:22

My last sentence was a generalized statement, not aimed towards you specifically. Perhaps I should have made that more clear, my apologies.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
RickC

15 Aug 2017, 18:30

Masonjar13 wrote:My last sentence was a generalized statement, not aimed towards you specifically. Perhaps I should have made that more clear, my apologies.
Umm... you quoted me. What else was I to think? (i'm just a normal forum member and not prescient in any way.)
Last edited by RickC on 15 Aug 2017, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
RickC

15 Aug 2017, 18:31

joedf wrote:
RickC wrote:[...] Is my opinion as a mere forum member less valid?
NO! Never! Your opinion is very important and relevant otherwise this would only be in the staff forum.
We want to specifically hear from everyday users out there :)
Thank you, joedf. That's more like the response I would like to see in this forum, even if respective opinions differ.
geek

15 Aug 2017, 18:41

RickC wrote:more than 50% of responses to this thread are apparently from AHK forum staff. :)
It may be important to point out that this is, in part, because users who care for the welfare of the forum are more likely to eventually become staff/moderators/etc, and this is a thread specifically regarding issues which would impact the welfare of the forum.

As all users (regardless of present, past, or future moderator status) are impacted, all perspectives are welcome and weighted equally.
Masonjar13

15 Aug 2017, 20:42

Gio wrote:What about "accessory" languages such as SQL and JavaScript/HTML? Will they be allowed discussion if integrated to an AutoHotkey scripted solution?
Joe already answered this, but I'd like to note that it may be best to take other languages to other forums respective of said language, as to get a better response; it may be difficult to find someone able to take on a commission of multiple languages. I'll make sure this is noted in a sticky in the sub, both his answer and my note. Perhaps in a FAQ format?
Delta Pythagorean

16 Aug 2017, 07:08

Would there be limits to what the code can be that said employer can and can not assign? Such as, "cheating" scripts, scripts that involve doing some sort of prank, etc. Like the normal forums enforce normally.
I feel as if there, again should be some sort of boundaries to what can('t) be done.
Sorry if I sound repetitive but I do think there should be "guidelines."

[AHK]......: v2.0.6 | 64-bit
[OS].......: Windows 11 | 22H2 (OS Build: 22621.1555)
[GITHUB]...: github.com/DelPyth
[PAYPAL]...: paypal.me/DelPyth
[DISCORD]..: tophatcat

You should consider migrating to v2. Practice with small features first such as learning how to do Guis!
Remember to use [code] ... [/code] for your multi-line scripts for the forums.
joedf

16 Aug 2017, 08:01

Cheating scripts/gaming/hacking are still being debated, unfortunately. :(
Once the more comprehensive rules list (currently WIP) is released, it will apply to all sections unless specified. And, the staff reserves the right to object in any case, such as abuse, offtopic, improper content, etc.
Capn Odin

16 Aug 2017, 13:13

I am neither for nor against this, although paid work seems like a hassle.

Sorry if this is off topic, as it is about how it should/will work, it probably is slightly off.
joedf wrote:Oh yes, It must be ahk related, accessory languages are fine as long as the core is running on AHK.
I understand that the op should not request something that is mainly in a different language.
The way I interpret your statement, is that the restriction apply to the product as well, am I misinterpreting your statement ?
I have posted a few solutions in the help forum in Python, because I knew a library that was suited to the problem, or if the problem relates to web browsing it might actually be be better to use JS, or if it turns out that that you really needs the speed of C.

Will it be disallowed to propose a solution in another language ?
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
Masonjar13

16 Aug 2017, 13:25

Capn Odin wrote:Will it be disallowed to propose a solution in another language ?
I don't believe this to be offtopic, but a very important question, actually. The answer I would give is yes, you are allowed to propose an alternate language. But further questioning is where I'm not sure.. specifically, would it still be allowed to accept and complete the commission in a different language based on suggestion? :think:
Cerberus

16 Aug 2017, 17:58

I have a question. I saw some people talking about how the Ask For Help forum should remain the place to be for people who want to "learn" to write code, whereas the Commissions forum would become the place for people who want others to do their work for them. What will we do with questions where the asker isn't offering any money, but is still asking for others to do the work for him? I have seen various questions like that. There is no real monetary commission involved, but it does fall on the other side of the learn / not learn fence.
Masonjar13

16 Aug 2017, 18:07

Such posts are largely discouraged and often untouched (or people post bits that will help them write it). I would prefer if they weren't present, but those should remain in Ask for Help if they do come up.
joedf

16 Aug 2017, 20:55

The decision will be taken right from the beginning. If the first post requests something that is not in ahk or ahk related it will be moved. If it is not possible in ahk, or ahk+something, it will be moved.
Cerberus

17 Aug 2017, 21:28

Masonjar13 wrote:Such posts are largely discouraged and often untouched (or people post bits that will help them write it). I would prefer if they weren't present, but those should remain in Ask for Help if they do come up.
OK, makes sense. So the essential criterion is the offer of money.
Masonjar13

17 Aug 2017, 22:28

Cerberus wrote:So the essential criterion is the offer of money.
Exactly. :) Commissions digress from asking for help, so that was one reason we've pushed this poll: to separate learning from requesting.

Explanation (to how I feel) about these three topics:
  • Someone asks for help and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for help gets helped/taught and the user helping gets the satisfaction of teaching/helping that person.
  • Someone offers payment and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work gets paid.
  • Someone requests and someone reciprocates = win/lose. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work receives nothing.
To be redundantly clear, these are my opinions and may not reflect upon all related individuals. I may only speak for myself. Though, I would wager that this would be the majority consensus.
obeeb

18 Aug 2017, 05:04

Masonjar13 wrote:
  1. Someone asks for help and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for help gets helped/taught and the user helping gets the satisfaction of teaching/helping that person.
  2. Someone offers payment and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work gets paid.
  3. Someone requests and someone reciprocates = win/lose. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work receives nothing.
Your opinion of course can't be wrong but it's completely unclear to me, what exactly is the difference between 1 and 3?
Nobody made the person from 3 to reciprocate, if he decided to do it then it means he wanted to help and received satisfaction from it.
I don't see how it can be anything else but win/win.
Capn Odin

18 Aug 2017, 05:23

obeeb wrote:
Masonjar13 wrote:
  1. Someone asks for help and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for help gets helped/taught and the user helping gets the satisfaction of teaching/helping that person.
  2. Someone offers payment and someone reciprocates = win/win. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work gets paid.
  3. Someone requests and someone reciprocates = win/lose. The user looking for a solution obtains said solution and the user who did the work receives nothing.
Your opinion of course can't be wrong but it's completely unclear to me, what exactly is the difference between 1 and 3?
Nobody made the person from 3 to reciprocate, if he decided to do it then it means he wanted to help and received satisfaction from it.
I don't see how it can be anything else but win/win.
I can say that personally I come out satisfied more of when dealing with type 1 as opposed to type 3, but it depends on how the op responds.
To me the worst exchange is when someone makes an unclear request, you solve it to the extent possible with the limited information, and they replay "It doesn't work" with no explanation as to what it does wrong nor signs that they have tried fixing it them self.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
obeeb

18 Aug 2017, 05:55

Capn Odin wrote: I can say that personally I come out satisfied more of when dealing with type 1 as opposed to type 3, but it depends on how the op responds.
To me the worst exchange is when someone makes an unclear request, you solve it to the extent possible with the limited information, and they replay "It doesn't work" with no explanation as to what it does wrong nor signs that they have tried fixing it them self.
This is more clear, so it's win/win vs win/less win that can sometimes become win/lose or even lose/lose.
I feel the same way from my experiences in other places but I think that this is something you should solve on your own, recognize where it's going to go and don't engage when you see that you're going to lose.
There's nothing wrong with telling someone that his request is not clear or explaining to him that "It doesn't work" after you did all you can to help them is not an acceptable response.

If the goal of the commissions forum is to limit the amount of help(which includes doing and not only explaining) people receive from willing helpers then I changed my mind, I do care and I'm against it.

Return to “Announcements”