[closed][POLL] Commissions sub-forum

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Commission Sub-forum

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2017, 23:32

Yes, I want there to be a commission sub-forum!
45%
No, I don't want there to be a commission sub-forum!
55%

Total votes: 55
tank

Re: [POLL] Commissions sub-forum

21 Aug 2017, 12:51

Dont think anyone is suggesting sending anyone away so much as having an answer to the question, "Where can I solicit paid help"
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
boiler

21 Aug 2017, 12:58

guest3456 wrote:I strongly disagree with sending people away from this forum and off to another site such as DonationCoder

That's even worse
+1. Are there that many of these types of posts that we really need to be setting up a link to send people to another site? And I agree with guest3456 that sending them somewhere else isn't something we should be doing anyway.

I voted "no" on the poll since it seems there are very few people posting that are asking to pay for coding, so it never seemed like an issue. Just ignore the post if you don't want to help them either for pay or otherwise. I've helped people who were offering to pay without accepting any pay because it was simpler than they thought or I just felt like it, so this sub-forum would sort of take away their opportunity to get some free help. And if I posted a free solution in a commissions sub-forum, that might cause some hard feelings like I stole someone's ability to get paid.

The supposed problem of people posting these requests in Ask For Help seems to be a red herring. It's more like someone had a goal (a commissions sub-forum) and then went looking for a problem it is meant to fix (not accusing anyone, but noting that it's what it looks like to me). I also don't like setting up a system where people whose post is too "requesty" are meant to post in the commissions sub-forum. Even if their posts aren't steered there, it still sets up the forums to be based on that expectation or at least have that feel to it.
joedf

21 Aug 2017, 13:08

Understood. But say this vote passes hypothetically, what do you or anyone suggest to do in my position? I'm listening. I understand the sides, but we need solutions. Please, simply saying no or yes does not help me much here.

On the side:
How do we accommodate for users that want to pay? Should we redirect to donate directly to the foundation instead? For the users that absolutely want to give something back but the other users refuse money?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tank

21 Aug 2017, 13:30

I just don't see a significant volume of people wishing to pay for scripts to substantiate this. In other words, this isn't a REAL problem. No matter what we do we should never find ourselves directing anyone to said forum or subforum unless the question is specifically "where can I pay someone for some work?"

I have had occasion to be asked if I can be paid and took the opportunity to ask that that money went to the forum.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

21 Aug 2017, 13:33

So should we cancel this?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Masonjar13

21 Aug 2017, 14:03

For those asking, the original idea was mine. I thought it would have, in general, a positive impact on the community. The poll hasn't even finished though and clearly the community thinks negatively of it. I still don't believe in most of the given problems here (or rather, that if they come up they can be handled), but if it's mutually agreed it won't help the community anyway, there's no point in continuing further.
joedf wrote:So should we cancel this?
Yes, I believe we should. If there's further interest (such as having a link out), we can discuss it and perhaps start another poll.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
oldbrother

21 Aug 2017, 15:08

wolf_II wrote:How can I change my vote from earlier?
+1. I changed my vote to "I don't want ..."
joedf

21 Aug 2017, 19:04

Okay, we can clearly see where the verdict is headed and there are many apparent things at risk. I'm calling an end to this.

I am locking this topic. If some have complaints, comments or suggestions. Please open a separate topic in Forum Issues.
Thank you.

Return to “Announcements”