New users can't edit their posts in the 'Ask For Help > Gaming' subforum

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
gregster

New users can't edit their posts in the 'Ask For Help > Gaming' subforum

15 Sep 2022, 16:10

Since I seemed to remember that this was mentioned before, I did a test with my greg_test (new user) account. I can confirm that new users can't edit their posts if posted in the Gaming subforum.
I guess this might be a leftover from the times when we didn't require approval for new user posts in that specific subforum. Since 'Gaming' was added to the approval-required forums some time ago, I guess we could allow editing now, as long as edited posts need re-approval (which seems to work in other subforums; not sure, if in all...)

In the 'Gaming subforum', there is no 'edit' button available for new users:
no edit button.png
no edit button.png (14.32 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Last edited by gregster on 15 Sep 2022, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarified the topic name
joedf

Re: New users can't edit their posts in the 'Gaming' subforum

15 Sep 2022, 19:46

I checked Ask For Help and Gaming, both are set to No edits allowed.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
gregster

15 Sep 2022, 20:39

No, that can't be it. I am re-approving edited posts from new users in 'Ask For Help' all the time:
Example from today: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=108452 -> first two posts ny LogicMind, both edited later
The topic logs also show that I re-approved the edited posts - which were invisible to RussF, for example, in the meantime.

(OT: Actually, there seems to one entry missing in the topic logs: the approval of the post from 18:03, which was not an edit; strangely the approval notification of that post is still open in my notification list - but that's besides the point, that's a normal glitch in the matrix which happens from time to time :) - I actually remember that the forum showed a rare "database error" when I approved that, and I was surprised that it got through nevertheless.
You can also see it in the topic itself that they were made and by whom, and there are bazillions of other examples.)

For demonstration purposes, my alter ego greg_test created a topic in 'Ask For Help', I approved it and made another post (as gregster), then the test acc edited its post, which I approved again:

edit.png
edit.png (63.53 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

Other than in 'Gaming', there was a pencil icon available which greg_test used to make that edit.
joedf

15 Sep 2022, 22:01

Oh you mean Gaming under Scripts & Functions? I meant under Ask For Help.
I've update it now to use "Newly Registered user" standard access instead of "On Moderation Queue".
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
gregster

15 Sep 2022, 22:15

No, actually I tried today to edit one of my posts (as greg_test) in Ask For Help > Gaming. The logs confirm this.

I haven't looked at Scripts and Funtions... but I have looked at three dozen random topics with new users in Ask For Help > Gaming without finding a single documented edit from a new user (there might be cases in which the topic was originally in a different subforum)
But I can try again later today, and report again.
joedf wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 22:01
I've update it now to use "Newly Registered user" standard access instead of "On Moderation Queue".
I am not sure, but this doesn't sound like what I meant :think: Did you now deactivate the moderation queue for that subforum?

The issue I had was that there are no edits possible for new users in Ask For Help > Gaming...
gregster

15 Sep 2022, 22:22

gregster wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 22:15
But I can try again later today, and report again.
Sorry, still can't find the pencil (pictured below) - no edits possible for new users in 'Ask For Help > Gaming':

pencil wanted.png
pencil wanted.png (668 Bytes) Viewed 2320 times
no pencil.png
no pencil.png (164.07 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
joedf

Re: New users can't edit their posts in the 'Ask For Help > Gaming' subforum

16 Sep 2022, 08:53

Sorry, I think I am misunderstanding... :think:
Newly registered users are intentionally unable to edit their posts. They should not be able to edit anywhere, in order to prevent bait-n-switch / bait-n-wait spam.
Once promoted to Registered user, they should be able to edit then, with "Standard Access + Polls" across the board.

Are you saying I should allow edits for new users in certain subforums?
gregster

16 Sep 2022, 09:47

Newly registered users are intentionally unable to edit their posts.
That is incorrect. They are not unable.

At the current moment (and during the last years), edits are (and were) allowed for new users - in some subforums, like the main 'Ask For Help', like I have demonstrated here (I tried it, it's true), and can also be seen in the already referenced example topic viewtopic.php?f=76&t=108452#p482483 in which I have re-approved the initial two posts after they were edited. See posts

new user edit.png
new user edit.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 2232 times

and topic logs. There are tons of other examples.

they should not be able to edit anywhere, in order to prevent bait-n-switch / bait-n-wait spam.
Such behaviour is currently prevented because edited posts still need to be re-approved after each edit, as long as they are made by a new user. As long as re-approval is pending, these posts are invisible for the general community, but still can be seen by staff as you and me (but we will also see the approval dialog). I have personally re-approved myriads of edited posts by new users in 'Ask For Help' during the last 3.5 years, and I am surely not the only staff member...

But if you really think that this should not be allowed, I can only tell you, that it is currently possible in the main 'Ask For Help'. I would say it is not a problem, as long as edited posts need to be re-approved, like currently, although it sometimes confuses non-staff members if a post suddenly dis- and reappears because of an edit.

What is confusing for the new users, and also for us staff members, is that we don't know which rules are active in which subforum, at least as long as I don't try it out myself with my test account greg_test (which is a new user account). Suggesting to use the pencil button feels kind of dumb, if I find out later that there was never such button available for that particular user in that specific subforum.

Why is editing allowed in 'Ask For Help', but not in 'Ask For Help > Gaming', although they have otherwise the same approval requirement?
(My guess: Remnant from the past, when posting in 'Gaming' wasn't restricted for new users - new posts would still show as unread, like any other post, so it could be checked.)

Anyway, I think I have fulfilled my reporting duties and will just resort to guessing again, if a new user has a question about this. At least I don't intend to spend much more time on this topic. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by gregster on 16 Sep 2022, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit
greg_test

16 Sep 2022, 09:58

Perhaps we leave this edit for demonstration purposes.

Edit: Now I added this.
Last edited by greg_test on 16 Sep 2022, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
boiler

16 Sep 2022, 19:03

Just as another data point -- I also see new users editing their posts all the time, causing them to disappear while waiting for the edited post to be approved. After they are approved, they re-appear in their former place.
joedf

16 Sep 2022, 20:02

I see. I don't feel that strongly either way. I can enable editing in all cases for all users. I think perhaps this is me mixing up the settings. So to be clear, we want allow editing, but just approval queue for the initial post. Correct?
I can do this later in the week.
gregster

16 Sep 2022, 20:22

No, that's not what I meant.
I would suggest, if we allow editing, every edit by a new user should still send the post back to the approval queue, like it happens currently in 'Ask For Help' or 'Forum Issues'. greg_test's edit above also needed re-approval before it got visible for the public.
Like you said, it prevents bait-and-wait. Just keep that behaviour. Or disallow edits altogether, but no edits without re-approval for new users. That's what I think.

My suggestion was mainly to not have different behaviours in subforums, like in 'Ask For Help > Gaming' where edits are not possible at all for new users.
If we disallow edits for new users altogether, that's also okay, but would only be my second choice.

At least, more consistency would help to answer new user questions about editing in a better way. At the moment, I have to try things out myself with my test account, for each subforum.
I just thought that it could lead to less confusion, but perhaps the opposite is the case. Perhaps we shouldn't do anything, and just say: "Well, if you can't find a pencil button, then you can't edit!"

At the moment, we sometimes insist, "please give your topic a meaningful name instead of 'NOOB HELP!!!' - just edit the first post" or "please edit and add code tags". Of course, we shouldn't do this anymore, if we are not sure that the user can edit at all.
Last edited by gregster on 16 Sep 2022, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
joedf

20 Sep 2022, 00:50

Okay, I've updated the entire english section to the "On Moderation Queue" permission set.
gobbedy

02 Jan 2023, 02:03

Hello @joedf,

I am a new user, and I cannot currently edit my post in Ask for Help: viewtopic.php?p=499473#p499473.

If understood this thread correctly, the intention is that I should be able to edit my posts?
joedf

02 Jan 2023, 15:24

Not sure, where this was left off, but currently edits are not allowed for newly registered users.
Once you reach 10 posts, you will have less restrictions.

Return to “Forum Issues”