WTF: it is ridiculous

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
fincs

WTF: it is ridiculous

10 Feb 2014, 17:05

The word filter is ridiculous. I understand words like the F word, the S word, the C words or the N word being banned, but the extent of the filtering is excessive, with not necessarily foul words or expressions such as damn or WTF being banned (and the latter is supposed to be an abbreviation of an F-word-containing phrase intended as a bowdlerization).
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
tank

Re: [foul/derogatory language]: it is ridiculous

10 Feb 2014, 17:08

It was a default wordlist i imported i have no objection to it being edited reduced or otherwise changed
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Morpheus

10 Feb 2014, 20:17

I was on a board once that would change the words if you used them. If you typed in the C word, it would say lady-bits. I kept typing in words just to see what it would say. :)
jballi

14 Feb 2014, 13:45

Morpheus wrote:I was on a board once that would change the words if you used them. If you typed in the C word, it would say lady-bits. I kept typing in words just to see what it would say. :)
The LOL acronym was invented for this type of statement. If you were at my house, you could have definitely heard me chuckle from the next room. It's ridiculous but it's also practical. It allows the user to express very strong emotions without using foul/derogatory language. The reader would have a much easier time figuring out the intent of the author. Fortunately, this is (read: should be) overkill for a programming forum.
fincs wrote:The word filter is ridiculous. I understand words like the F word, the S word, the C words or the N word being banned, but the extent of the filtering is excessive, with not necessarily foul words or expressions such as damn or WTF being banned (and the latter is supposed to be an abbreviation of an F-word-containing phrase intended as a bowdlerization).
Just my 2 cents but I agree with fincs. Over-filtering word usage is a form of censorship. Filtering should be limited to the bare necessities.

Return to “Forum Issues”