Search Error

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
jballi

Search Error

11 Feb 2014, 09:56

Did a search for: ImageList_Add

Received the following error message:
Search term used: ImageList_Add ignored: add

I would laugh if I weren't already crying. IMHO, common words should only be dropped if specified by themselves, otherwise they should be left alone. In this case, the parser extracted a common word from something that was mostly unique. Not very helpful.

Thank you for your assistance.
lexikos

Re: Search Error

11 Feb 2014, 19:18

Perhaps _ is treated as a word delimiter, in which case the search index wouldn't contain the word "ImageList_Add" and searching for it would do you no good. Instead, I suppose it searches for "imagelist" and highlights "ImageList_Add" if found.

As I understand it, common words are omitted to optimize the size of the search index; i.e. you can't search for "add" because it doesn't exist in the search index.
jballi

Re: Search Error

12 Feb 2014, 19:14

This is no brainer. Using _ as a word delimiter is ridiculous for a programming forum. Windows uses this character all over the place. Also, "add' is a common programming term. Excluding it only because is common is doesn't make sense for this forum.

The objective it to be able to find what you're looking for. Including everything except extremely common words -- a, and, the, etc. -- is necessary to get the job done.

Them be my thoughts.

Return to “Forum Issues”