Post Formatting

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Masonjar13

Post Formatting

06 Sep 2016, 02:42

This is technically an enhancement, but would (hopefully) solve some issues, thus I decided to post it here.

New users often post for help with very poorly written questions, either being far too vague and/or posting no relevant code, where applicable. On some other forums I'm familiar with, they have a suggested posting format where we currently have Smilies, when posting a new topic or reply, on a per-category basis. That helped me greatly to know what the post should include, if applicable, and how to format it readably (not using code-tags is also a big thing, making code difficult to read).

My suggestion is to implement category-specific formatting above the smilies when a user creates a new thread or reply. This should be of great help to new users looking for help, and decrease the time spent helping them for other users, as well as decreasing the chance of possible frustration, creating a more efficient environment.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
Masonjar13

Re: Post Formatting

06 Sep 2016, 07:37

I'm not sure what forum software they're using, but here is an image.
Spoiler
Edit: In case you're wondering, blurred due to it being a members-only forum, don't want anyone mad at me.

Edit 2: I have a bad habit of editing my posts.
The first link is viable, but I think would probably be annoying to regular users. The second I think is too hidden/not obvious enough, but would otherwise be a good option.
joedf

06 Sep 2016, 08:57

This would good for Ask For Help and Bug Reports. :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Masonjar13

18 Oct 2016, 19:52

Gonna give this a little nudge. Is this in the works or on back-order?
joedf

18 Oct 2016, 21:54

Kind of back order... :p
I would like there the downsides if there are any?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Masonjar13

18 Oct 2016, 22:17

Can't think of any explicit downsides, except for taking the time to actually implement it. Depending on the decided style, it may have to be written in manually. Not really sure how phpBB works, or php in general (the paradigm, that is). Guessing you could just slip it in above the smilies, just slightly modifying the already existing template, theoretically making it trivial work.
guest3456

19 Oct 2016, 12:07

couldn't you just prepopulate the body field with instructions?

joedf

19 Oct 2016, 15:36

More or less a simple matter of installing one of these...
Blackholyman wrote:sounds like a good idea just looked for it but only found this
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2307236
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... st_models/
tank

19 Oct 2016, 16:36

Im confused as to why you think any if any new posters will even observe any template
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Masonjar13

19 Oct 2016, 17:09

I certainly would have. I first started using forums with the old AHK forum, and I had no idea how to format posts. I would have benefited greatly from having a template.

I can't assume new users are blatantly ignorant or stupid, that's bad judgment. If it is pre-populated in the actual edit field, they certainly can't miss it. They would have to actively, consciously clear the field to not use it. As long as the user knows it's there. Even if they don't use it, they're much more likely to read it and include important details they may have otherwise left out.

Return to “Forum Issues”